• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

G.A.tor,

So all things being equal, how much does a books pedigree increase the value of a book? (i.e. two books with same grade, but one book is a Larson copy.)

I believe it absolutely is more desirable in most every case but I never seen a consistent % value increase.

Thanks G.A.tor. I appreciate it.

G.A.tor,

So all things being equal, how much does a books pedigree increase the value of a book? (i.e. two books with same grade, but one book is a Larson copy.)

I believe it absolutely is more desirable in most every case but I never seen a consistent % value increase.

It also depends on the pedigree. And the comic. Some of the less collected comics can get a bigger bump just so someone can say they have a Church or Okajima comic.

G.A.tor,

It also depends on the pedigree. And the comic. Some of the less collected comics can get a bigger bump just so someone can say they have a Church or Okajima comic.

There is no hard/fast rule for pedigree values, but the designation can be a deal breaker for pricier HG books. The provenance of a pedigree insures the uniqueness of a book regardless of the occasional unearthed cache or manipulated under-copy (grade bumps).

Naturally, some pedigrees (Church, Okajima, Larson, San Francisco) are more desirable than others due to history, mystery and/or exceptional quality, but the provenance always increases interest.

Gaines File Copies are one of the best examples of how historical significance can impact value. GFC invariably gets more juice than other pedigreed and non-pedigree EC books of similar grade and PQ. My inflation adjusted 2c (I'm long-winded, ...except on the courts)

G.A.tor,

That's a good point. Some of the easier to find pedigrees -- Bethlehem, say -- don't seem to bring much of a premium on more common or less desirable books. I've bought copies of such books where the seller didn't even note (or maybe didn't notice) the pedigree. There was someone a while ago arguing that pedigrees don't matter except for the top three or four (Church, Okajima, SF), but I would disagree with that.

G.A.tor,

That's a good point. Some of the easier to find pedigrees -- Bethlehem, say -- don't seem to bring much of a premium on more common or less desirable books. I've bought copies of such books where the seller didn't even note (or maybe didn't notice) the pedigree. There was someone a while ago arguing that pedigrees don't matter except for the top three or four (Church, Okajima, SF), but I would disagree with that.

Thanks everyone for your feedback regarding pedigrees. It helps answer my question and confirms what I was thinking.

Given 2 same books in identical grades, I would hazard a guess that 99/100 times the pedigree copy would be chosen. Whatever that increase in demand is relative to supply will translate into a higher price. Which pedigree, which issue, what condition, what demand ,etc as well as a myriad of others, are all factors and thus it is virtually impossible to apply a single formula that would hold true

G.A.tor,

Other than on these boards, I don't really hear much about Okajima copies.

But for the ones I collect and have experience with (Larson, Church, SF, Recil Macon, Rockford), the Church books are the creme de la creme. Even though they no longer fetch 5X guide regularly, they do sell briskly at 2-3X guide depending on guide value. Very expensive books in guide don't command multiples though because they are already so high. The others I've mentioned typically sell for 2X

G.A.tor,

Other than on these boards, I don't really hear much about Okajima copies.

But for the ones I collect and have experience with (Larson, Church, SF, Recil Macon, Rockford), the Church books are the creme de la creme. Even though they no longer fetch 5X guide regularly, they do sell briskly at 2-3X guide depending on guide value. Very expensive books in guide don't command multiples though because they are already so high. The others I've mentioned typically sell for 2X

Please point me to where these Church books are selling for 2-3X guide. For most of the ones I'm interested in 4-5X would be a bargain.

Given 2 same books in identical grades, I would hazard a guess that 99/100 times the pedigree copy would be chosen. Whatever that increase in demand is relative to supply will translate into a higher price. Which pedigree, which issue, what condition, what demand ,etc as well as a myriad of others, are all factors and thus it is virtually impossible to apply a single formula that would hold true

Depends on the pedigree. Do you really see people choosing Rockfords, Crippens, and stamped Crowleys over non-peds?