• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
42 42

13,509 posts in this topic

Haven't we determined that Diary Secrets giant is the single scarcest St. John romance book? I know Dr. Love has the only CGC graded copy... and I believe he knows of one other collector who owns a copy... and I think that's it.

Haven't we determined that Diary Secrets giant is the single scarcest St. John romance book? I know Dr. Love has had the only CGC graded copy... and I believe he knows of one other collector who owns a copy... and I think that's it.

Updated - Elvis has left the building

I'm sure there are more out there. Until today you didn't know about this one. I got mine years ago and don't really keep track any more. I love Giants/annuals and was on a tear years ago. I believe I have most of the St John ones in all genres. Glad I got them when they were under the radar!

Unfortunately, I didn't. As you might imagine, I'll follow the discussion on the TAR 3 with some interest.

I think the weight of the evidence is in favor of both books being Church copies. In any event, I don't think there's any chance of CGC revoking the designation at this late date.

I'm hoping that in the course of rob_react's Church project we get some greater clarity concerning how CGC decides whether a book is a pedigree copy. I have a feeling, though, that, like their grading criteria, their procedure here will remain shrouded in mystery.

Here is some stuff from one of the admins over on the G&R board.

Me: I've asked about the process of verifying a claim that a raw book is a pedigree copy. I would think that an answer would be of general interest, but perhaps the information is considered proprietary. Thanks.

CGC: There are several ways to go about checking if a raw book is a pedigree. Each with it's own circumstance. Some pedigrees have distinguishing newstand marks or original owner marks. Another way is a combination of smell and paper quality. And yet another way is to trace the provenance of the book through previous owners. Some raw book are very easy to tell if they are pedigrees and other's are more difficult.

Me: Thanks for the response. A follow-up question, if I may, that gets at a point raised by the OP (and also raised in another thread about a couple of Church books that you were willing to label as such even though they don't appear in Chuck R's sales list).

Are you ever willing to rely on Heritage or Metro (or, perhaps, another well-known dealer or auction house) having identified a particular copy being a pedigree, or would you require additional information to verify the attribution? Thanks again.

CGC: We would require more information, however we would take any information they have into account.

Still pretty vague, really, but a bit of clarification at any rate.

Quite a few Church books were never on the sales list. Hamilton, Rowe, and possibly the Carter's all purchased before the list. I once owned the Church copy of Stuntman 1 and it was purchased by Rowe..... it was notated by CGC and not on any list. Provenance comes in to play. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Quite a few Church books were never on the sales list. Hamilton, Rowe, and possibly the Carter's all purchased before the list. I once owned the Church copy of Stuntman 1 and it was purchased by Rowe..... it was notated by CGC and not on any list. Provenance comes in to play. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Increasingly true, I think, for any remaining unslabbed books or books that have been cracked out of their original slabs. The further we get from the time when these collections were first brought to market the more CGC will have to play "who do you trust"?

There is a conflict of interest when someone consigns raw books to an auction house and claims some of them are pedigrees. Some books lack identifiable markings so the attribution isn't evident. The auction house is clearly better off if they can label the books as pedigrees and have an incentive not to inquire too closely. Not that we aren't all noble men and true, of course.

I'm going to continue the tradition that I also started, on Valentine's Day of last year. Hopefully, some of you other boardies/Baker collectors out there will follow suit again and post some of your own favorite "sweethearts"...

tar14_zpsf0be1dc4.jpg