• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,380 posts in this topic

i bought this little rag last nite for a whopping $84 just so g.a.tor wouldn't own them all.

whiz22.jpg

A poor attempt to disguise an obvious conspiracy. Did you two cook up this little story while sunbathing on the beach?

I'm checking my mail daily for it to arrive

These arrived on Saturday. Really like #6

Superman%206a_zpshgap9deb.jpg

Superman%209a_zpsynmbwcba.jpg

The #9 has a special place in my heart. A million years ago when I was a kid. I rode my bike up to the "bad part of town" to a used book store looking for MAD magazines. I didn't find any but out of a stack of old '50's b/w Life magazines, I saw the corner of this book. I was shocked as I'd never seen a GA book let alone a single digit Supe. I poked through the pile and pulled out a couple similar year Disney Comics and Stories and a Submariner #6. All had a light $3.00 penciled on back. I took them up to the owner. At first he wasn't going to sell them to me. (probably thought I had no money). I whinned and begged and finally he sold them to me. I had to put bacl one of the Disneys back because I only had $10. I carefully put them in my back pack and rode home with my prizes. The Supe #9 is the only one I still have. A few years later I got Jerry Seigel to sign it right on the bright yellow cover!

Awesome story!

These arrived on Saturday. Really like #6

Superman%206a_zpshgap9deb.jpg

Superman%209a_zpsynmbwcba.jpg

The #9 has a special place in my heart. A million years ago when I was a kid. I rode my bike up to the "bad part of town" to a used book store looking for MAD magazines. I didn't find any but out of a stack of old '50's b/w Life magazines, I saw the corner of this book. I was shocked as I'd never seen a GA book let alone a single digit Supe. I poked through the pile and pulled out a couple similar year Disney Comics and Stories and a Submariner #6. All had a light $3.00 penciled on back. I took them up to the owner. At first he wasn't going to sell them to me. (probably thought I had no money). I whinned and begged and finally he sold them to me. I had to put bacl one of the Disneys back because I only had $10. I carefully put them in my back pack and rode home with my prizes. The Supe #9 is the only one I still have. A few years later I got Jerry Seigel to sign it right on the bright yellow cover!

Wonderful!

morefun83.jpg

Why on GA covers isn't it ever the hero who is in trouble and the sidekick who saves him? Given that the sidekick was there to appeal to younger readers, it would actually have made sense. hm

morefun83.jpg

Why on GA covers isn't it ever the hero who is in trouble and the sidekick who saves him? Given that the sidekick was there to appeal to younger readers, it would actually have made sense. hm

lol good question, and you'd think the side kick would be the bail out if the main hero was in a pinch! On a similar note, I think MLJ's 'Roy the Super-Boy' holds the title for most needed to be rescued covers.

And BedRock, killer copy ( as always) (thumbs u

morefun83.jpg

Awesome book. Love the colors on the cover. Does that "C" indicate a pedigree? Seems like I have seen that mark before.

I'm not sure in this case that the "C" indicates any specific pedigree. The Ohio collection had many books with a c- written code but they look different than this.

morefun83.jpg

Awesome book. Love the colors on the cover. Does that "C" indicate a pedigree? Seems like I have seen that mark before.

I'm not sure in this case that the "C" indicates any specific pedigree. The Ohio collection had many books with a c- written code but they look different than this.

speaking of which, here's the ohio code on a book i just grabbed.

mary7.jpg