• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,596 posts in this topic

Ah, eBay, i do love you so. Thank goodness this was only a FN to begin with.

Apparently cardboard is too expensive so she only used one piece :)

pFuXzWxl.jpg

At least you got one piece of cardboard. A few months ago I got a book (bagged and boarded, at least) in an envelope with no cardboard.

I had to laugh. Like I said, fortunately it wasn't high grade. Looking at her listings I can see that comic books are not the focus. I'm prolly going to send her a polite message to let her know that she should consider springing for the extra piece of cardboard.

Edit: Update. I sent her a polite message. She responded w/in a minute as follows:

"Thanks so very much.....sort of a little hesitant as to how much to protect....but I will do so!!!! Thanks very very much!~!!!"

Balance and faith in humanity restored. What a great reply

Wow, you got a better seller on both ends. I sent a message and said, "Also, you should know, comic collectors are pretty particular about condition on their books, and if you continue to sell comics and ship them like you did this one, you are likely to get complaints and returns. I understand it was free shipping, and did not sell for much [i was the only bidder, so I won at the minimum bid of $5], but at a minimum there should be a piece of stiff cardboard on either side of the book to hold it rigid - just the book in a bag and board inside a thin envelope provides zero protection."

The response I got was, "Glad you received your purchase without any damage. Its amusing that a serious comic book collector would purchase a $5.00 comic with free shipping without considering the extra cost of better packaging or insurance."

Just for perspective, it cost $1.93 for shipping, and I regularly mail envelopes with cardboard packaging for $2.25.

I had to laugh. Like I said, fortunately it wasn't high grade. Looking at her listings I can see that comic books are not the focus. I'm prolly going to send her a polite message to let her know that she should consider springing for the extra piece of cardboard.

Edit: Update. I sent her a polite message. She responded w/in a minute as follows:

"Thanks so very much.....sort of a little hesitant as to how much to protect....but I will do so!!!! Thanks very very much!~!!!"

Had a similar recent transaction. New to selling comics. CGC holder was fairly scuffed up but the scuffs didn't show up in the pictures & the seller didn't mention it. I gave positive feedback & was satisfied because I got it for pennies on the dollar.

But I told him that he should mention scuffs on CGC holders in the future. He apologized, offered a refund (I told him no & that it was fine) & that he will keep that in mind in the future. Even thanked me for the helpful advice. Good seller.

Anyone else have a few people that do the make an offer and I accept and then they don't pay? (shrug)

I have had 4 of these in the last 30 days or less..... :frustrated:

Probably people putting in several best offers simultaneously, accepting the first one and ignoring others if accepted.

Whenever I see this, I send a message directly after the auction and explain about the importance of condition and the need to ship between two pieces of cardboard. Noncollectors often just think that you want the book to read it, so it doesn't much matter if it gets bounced around (or folded in half) in the mail.

pFuXzWxl.jpg

Just a fantastic packing job. And they'll get pissy if you leave anything less than 5 stars.

Sad.

You are correct. I have even tried to explain that to some sellers and they still don't get it. They think the little they do is a stellar job. I got shipped a few comics, one time, sandwiched between cardboard from a cereal box and cardboard from, what it looked like, the lid of a shoe box. For the life of me I couldn't get her to understand that was not good.

What I do, if I have a bunch of thin cardboard, is glue them together in layers with Elmers glue and have them under a press until they dry. Makes them nice and sturdy. People can do better, but they choose not to.

Wow, you got a better seller on both ends. I sent a message and said, "Also, you should know, comic collectors are pretty particular about condition on their books, and if you continue to sell comics and ship them like you did this one, you are likely to get complaints and returns. I understand it was free shipping, and did not sell for much [i was the only bidder, so I won at the minimum bid of $5], but at a minimum there should be a piece of stiff cardboard on either side of the book to hold it rigid - just the book in a bag and board inside a thin envelope provides zero protection."

The response I got was, "Glad you received your purchase without any damage. Its amusing that a serious comic book collector would purchase a $5.00 comic with free shipping without considering the extra cost of better packaging or insurance."

Just for perspective, it cost $1.93 for shipping, and I regularly mail envelopes with cardboard packaging for $2.25.

You are right about collectibles maintaining there condition through shipment. I have actually lost money on shipping before to make sure that the package is well secured. My eBay feedback reflects this by my buyer's statements. To me, it is more important to keep customers happy so they return.

Anyone else have a few people that do the make an offer and I accept and then they don't pay? (shrug)

Probably people putting in several best offers simultaneously, accepting the first one and ignoring others if accepted.

that type of behavior is as bad if not worse than non-paying or other offenses we block people for.

The reason I say that is simple-- when a person accepts the offer, the item is technically SOLD and final value fees assessed, selling slot taken (if you are limited to the 100 sales a month- i.e. no store) -- and the item is no longer listed.

IF they are happy with taking the first offer-- that's fine-- they still need to go back and rescind the other offers in case a seller accept the terms. Such a headache dealing with people trying to cancel an order-- no money in it at all and twice the headaches.

that type of behavior is as bad if not worse than non-paying or other offenses we block people for.

The reason I say that is simple-- when a person accepts the offer, the item is technically SOLD and final value fees assessed, selling slot taken (if you are limited to the 100 sales a month- i.e. no store) -- and the item is no longer listed.

IF they are happy with taking the first offer-- that's fine-- they still need to go back and rescind the other offers in case a seller accept the terms. Such a headache dealing with people trying to cancel an order-- no money in it at all and twice the headaches.

Yeah, I had someone do that to me, too, a real pain to deal with. Usually when I get an offer, unless it is very close to my BIN, I wait for a goodly bit of the 48 hours eBay gives you to accept, leaving things up with a chance at a full price buy. I had a phone that I got an offer on, I waited a while, then accepted. The buyer then said since I hadn't responded right away, she had gone ahead and bought a different one.

this guy infinitycomics902 ships single issues in an envelope with backing boards and bags only. I bought a book from him and while waiting for the arrival, had bought a second (it was a pre-order). When the first arrived w a non-color breaking ding (that wasn't in the pics) I politely let him know to at least stick a single piece of cardboard in there to protect the comic from shipping and that I hoped he would do it for the second. Zero response from him and low and behold, no protection on the second either.

Won't buy from him again.

I've had a boardie send me a slab off eBay, flat down in a cardboard box with newspaper crumpled on top. The slab has a crack in the top right corner and a puncture on the top edge where the sticker label is.

I've messaged him in eBay and have had no response. I am tempted to message them here. I've bought off them a few times and never had a problem before. Its been a few weeks now, so not sure if I'm just being ignored or they just don't care.

I never asked for a refund, I got the book for quite a good deal, but if its still a 9.6 with the yellowing on the cover and back, that would surprise me. Reholdering might not be an option for this book.

I'll post pics of the books and make a choice tonight when I get home Slym. Like I said, dealt with them before and got some great slabs. Just no idea what happened this time

Yeah, some dude on Ebay sent me my issue in a manila envelope. The envelope tore, so the first thing I see is the edge of my book hanging outside the mail box. Downhill from there.

I use some very large manila envelopes (15x12) to send Rolling Stone I sell on Amazon. Of course-- it doesn't sound like your seller went the extra mile.

I bag the magazine in a treasury bag, sandwich it in cardboard/tape but before I put it in the envelope, I tape the center seam and the three outer edges. Once I have everything inside the envelope, I fold over the opening end and more tape and tape on that bare edge. I find this method is pretty effective at getting the items safely delivered.

I have also started putting a kind message of "please do not bend" one time on the envelope backside. Don't want to be too demonstrative or demanding with a postal worker ("DO NOT BEND!" ? --- ahhh, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!)

I think it comes down to layers of protection and providing proper support/rigid backing. Hello out of context thread.

pFuXzWxl.jpg

At least you got a cardboard and padded envelope. I remember a while back I won a raw copy of ASM #300 described in NM on Ebay, the guy sent the book to me inside a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope with no bag / board or any type of protection whatsoever. The book was naked by itself inside the envelope. I was already prepared for the worst when I opened it. Surprisingly, the book was not damaged at all and it even came back as a 9.4 from CGC. Until this day, I still can't imagine how that book actually survived without a scratch going through USPS in just an envelope. (shrug)

this guy infinitycomics902 ships single issues in an envelope with backing boards and bags only. I bought a book from him and while waiting for the arrival, had bought a second (it was a pre-order). When the first arrived w a non-color breaking ding (that wasn't in the pics) I politely let him know to at least stick a single piece of cardboard in there to protect the comic from shipping and that I hoped he would do it for the second. Zero response from him and low and behold, no protection on the second either.

yeah that guy sent mine in a legal flat rate envelope with little to no packing material. It showed up with a hole in the package.

I was not amused-- but they got lucky and no damage- but like you-- they lost my business.

some photos...

1K8gss8l.jpg

VKz9czcl.jpg

T9qKazml.jpg

this was all that was on the inside of the package-- I suppose I was spoiled as there are two pieces of card board but WHY would you not fill that entire envelope up with material to make it stiff and stable? It is flat rate.

ZqrJMKcl.jpg

yeah that guy sent mine in a legal flat rate envelope with little to no packing material. It showed up with a hole in the package.

I was not amused-- but they got lucky and no damage- but like you-- they lost my business.

some photos...

1K8gss8l.jpg

VKz9czcl.jpg

T9qKazml.jpg

this was all that was on the inside of the package-- I suppose I was spoiled as there are two pieces of card board but WHY would you not fill that entire envelope up with material to make it stiff and stable? It is flat rate.

ZqrJMKcl.jpg

Can't believe you even got cardboard! Mine didn't get that even!

So this is the book...

IMG_20150130_191317_zpslcpelee2.jpg

Got it in a cgc sized bag, put it on the shelf and didn't take a look at it for a week or so. Was just busy with stuff. Noticed it was a bit sun washed, but didn't think much of it

IMG_20150130_191307_zpstnc4cpnw.jpg

Well, took it out of the bag and gave it a closer inspection.

IMG_20150130_191251_zpsynx1kqyw.jpg

IMG_20150130_191241_zpsiypabsyp.jpg

Sent them a message on eBay and have heard nothing back. Haven't sent a message here yet, haven't been able to recall their username here