• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,258 posts in this topic

Nice Crandall cover (pencils and inks) in this second to last Crack Western.from 1953. One of my favorite busting through the second floor railing fight shots.

The background technique swiped from Maneely?

CrackWestern83fc100_zpsdma1okyi_1.jpg

One of the great Western covers of any era or company. Maneely did like to use washed out backgrounds to aid in contrast, especially on his western covers, but I don't know if he pioneered the technique. It is a great way to make foreground action pop.

I did a few quick searches and couldn't find a Maneely example of this background technique as early as the Crandall cover (March 1953). I noticed he used it heavily in 1955 and 1956 though.

I'd be curious to know who did pioneer the technique.

This issue only had an 8-page western story, but I always liked the cover.

8927507402_4218f59158.jpg

(PAC #252)

mm

Great to see the original owner westerns Marty.

THANKS...here's a real oldie!

8710693324_87013d7faf.jpg

(PAC #133)

mm

Better yet, I'll come up to the Emerald City Con and see my brother and his family in Seattle and get to maybe eyeball your books in person. :headbang:

With back in black as a theme, here's a crossover for your pleasure. Ray Osrin the inker, perhaps the colorist as well. His covers are few but mighty.

CowboyLove30fc100_zpsefcamgyg_1.jpg

Oooo that's nice!

Ken

I really like it!!!

Thanks. I think it's the best cover of the run. Seems like it's a swipe from one of the Wally Wood Spirit sections.

Agreed. Now that's what I call a real get. Kudos buddy! Jealous +1000

Your taste and discernment on these Western covers is amazing. Keep postin'!

There's a low grade #40 on the bay right now...

There used to be. Thanks!

(Simple soul that I am, I bought it back cover unseen. I've bought from this guy before, though, and he seems like a good egg.)