• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,258 posts in this topic

I saw a copy of this AAW 113 Toth book for the first time last year, maybe adamstrange? anyway, knew I had to get it someday, and someday is now. Right place, right time, right price. So that's one of the Toths down.

AllAmericanWestern113Epsonfc100_zps5ebe38f7.jpg

There are some great covers in that Toth run and this is one of my favorites. Congrats on getting such a nice looking copy.

It's not often that you can see an adamstrage book and get a copy for yourself that doesn't look like dog food in comparison.

Looking forward to someday reading the Toth/Kanigher Johnny Thunder stories.

Thanks guys! Adam's books are an inspiration to us all, eh?

The AAW run has some sweet covers. I like this one a lot too. The way the gunsmoke forms the title area is way cool - the shady characters taking shots are literally shady - and as we've seen from the war and western books, bullet trails are distinctive and an important artistic element. Toth's nailing it.

AllAmericanWestern111HPfc100_zpsdp0gvrnx_1.jpg

Picked this up at the small but fun and friendly Cal Comic Con at Yorba Linda. Terry O'Neills show, Terry's (former) book. I have admired this cover, the treatment is interesting and the compostion is fabulous, and I'm real glad I got this nice copy. Any guess as to the artist?

Billy the Kid Adventure Magazine #16

BillytheKid16fc100_zpszwlgjnjx_1.jpg

Picked this up at the small but fun and friendly Cal Comic Con at Yorba Linda. Terry O'Neills show, Terry's (former) book. I have admired this cover, the treatment is interesting and the compostion is fabulous, and I'm real glad I got this nice copy. Any guess as to the artist?

Billy the Kid Adventure Magazine #16

BillytheKid16fc100_zpsj5f8oguw_1.jpg

16387057252_7af57839df_c.jpg

Leon Winik is listed as the artist for Billy the Kid in the Who's Who.

16204565750_95c8356e5d_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I saw a copy of this AAW 113 Toth book for the first time last year, maybe adamstrange? anyway, knew I had to get it someday, and someday is now. Right place, right time, right price. So that's one of the Toths down.

AllAmericanWestern113Epsonfc100_zps5ebe38f7.jpg

Stellar looking copy!

Ken

Nice Crandall cover (pencils and inks) in this second to last Crack Western.from 1953. One of my favorite busting through the second floor railing fight shots.

The background technique swiped from Maneely?

CrackWestern83fc100_zpsdma1okyi_1.jpg

BlazingWestern07fc100_zpsobtcawkj_1.jpg

Another bunch of great books. Love the Toth AAW #111 and the Billy the Kid (which I hadn't seen before).

The first thing I thought of when I saw the Crandall cover was Maneely and the first thing I thought of when you posted the Blazing West was how similar the scene was to the Crack Western. One guys in for a tougher landing though.

Both of these have been on my want list for a while so it looks like I'm going to have to start going to shows again before you get all the good ones lol .

Better yet, I'll come up to the Emerald City Con and see my brother and his family in Seattle and get to maybe eyeball your books in person. :headbang:

With back in black as a theme, here's a crossover for your pleasure. Ray Osrin the inker, perhaps the colorist as well. His covers are few but mighty.

CowboyLove30fc100_zpsefcamgyg_1.jpg

And the original Fawcett cover from which it was swiped.

CowboyLove04fc100_zpsvl0cyfdj_1.jpg

Better yet, I'll come up to the Emerald City Con and see my brother and his family in Seattle and get to maybe eyeball your books in person. :headbang:

I'm pretty sure the last comic convention I attended was the 1993 San Diego Con (maybe a couple of Holiday Inn type cons in the mid 90's).

I'd like to make it up to Seattle this year to see what I've been missing, and you'll think my books look great... at a distance.

With back in black as a theme, here's a crossover for your pleasure. Ray Osrin the inker, perhaps the colorist as well. His covers are few but mighty.

CowboyLove30fc100_zpsefcamgyg_1.jpg

And the original Fawcett cover from which it was swiped.

CowboyLove04fc100_zpsvl0cyfdj_1.jpg

Great stuff! Knowing Charlton, I'm surprised they didn't just reprint the Fawcett cover, although maybe they lacked the photo -- or the skill! -- to do so.

Nice Crandall cover (pencils and inks) in this second to last Crack Western.from 1953. One of my favorite busting through the second floor railing fight shots.

The background technique swiped from Maneely?

CrackWestern83fc100_zpsdma1okyi_1.jpg

One of the great Western covers of any era or company. Maneely did like to use washed out backgrounds to aid in contrast, especially on his western covers, but I don't know if he pioneered the technique. It is a great way to make foreground action pop.