• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

I will be the first to admit that JDR gets on my nerves. But I think it is disingenuous to insinuate that he "doesn't like the book" or "doesn't like the prices." He consistently points out books that he believes are being manipulated, artificially inflated, or shilled. And he typically has compelling evidence. There is a component of "Boy who cried, Wolf!" Because he always bangs the same drum. But I think that many times he is right. Just because you are bullish on or really enjoy a certain book, does not mean that you can't appreciate someone pointing out pricing anomalies.

I can certainly appreciate the awareness brought up in this thread Sean. And I do agree that creating false price points on this book, as well as others like NM 98, is not only frustrating but is terrible for our hobby. I'm actually in shock at the number of shilled items that have been brought up, which is why I almost only exclusively buy (and sell) in a BIN format.

I think my frustration lies in his arguments on pages 81- 87 of this thread in regards to who the younger generation really like (the whole top 5 argument etc). His comments almost dismiss HQ as a major character. I thought junkdrawer's bringing instagram numbers were interesting as well.

I'd like to see some good writers write HQ though. I tried reading the new series and thought it was awful. Can only hope that Neil Gaiman will do another Batman story and include HQ in it.

I will be the first to admit that JDR gets on my nerves. But I think it is disingenuous to insinuate that he "doesn't like the book" or "doesn't like the prices." He consistently points out books that he believes are being manipulated, artificially inflated, or shilled. And he typically has compelling evidence. There is a component of "Boy who cried, Wolf!" Because he always bangs the same drum. But I think that many times he is right. Just because you are bullish on or really enjoy a certain book, does not mean that you can't appreciate someone pointing out pricing anomalies.

I can certainly appreciate the awareness brought up in this thread Sean. And I do agree that creating false price points on this book, as well as others like NM 98, is not only frustrating but is terrible for our hobby. I'm actually in shock at the number of shilled items that have been brought up, which is why I almost only exclusively buy (and sell) in a BIN format.

I think my frustration lies in his arguments on pages 81- 87 of this thread in regards to who the younger generation really like (the whole top 5 argument etc). His comments almost dismiss HQ as a major character. I thought junkdrawer's bringing instagram numbers were interesting as well.

I'd like to see some good writers write HQ though. I tried reading the new series and thought it was awful. Can only hope that Neil Gaiman will do another Batman story and include HQ in it.

We can't be sure that auctions are shilled or not, but I do agree that shilling does occur.However,suspected shilled bids or not....if a book sells for $1475 (which a BA 12 9.8 just closed at earlier today/last night) then there is still someone who is willing to pay $1475 for the book.

The winning bidder for that auction may have even bid anywhere from $1475 to $1900 but the fact of the matter is it was worth *at least $1475 to him*.

There are now 4 slabbed 9.8's on ebay, all with BINS at $1899 to $2050.

If I wanted to buy a copy now, I would opt to bid on it and would likely have gotten it for a bit cheaper than the lowest BIN of $1899.....which is exactly what I would do, regardless of wether there was a chance my bid was upped by a possible shill bid.I did actually bid on the last cop[y that closed at $1475 but was outbid a day or so before the auction closed and ....did not want to pay more than $1300-ish for the book.

Alternately, I could buy the book outright via BIN for $1899.The former option, if I were to win the auction would (obstensibly) save me money, if I were......more die hard than I am....in the market for a 9.8 slabbed copy.

The only time I buy I buy on eBay via BIN is when the seller screws up and lists the book below current market value.Example being a Amazing Spiderman Annual # 1 PGX 5.5, which I caught within the first hour of the book's listing , for $225 via BIN.

I listed it, a few months later, and caught $550 for it, within 2-3 days of putting it up for sale via BIN.That is the only sort of situation where I think it makes sense to buy via BIN.Unless you really don;t want to deal with being outbid and do not mind paying a bit of a higher price.

.....my a-hem, case study on BIN practices aside.........

this is why I suspect this book will soon reach the $2000 mark.

The 9.8 copies , put up for auction will continue to drive the realized sold prices of the book up, to the point where BIN's at $1900-$2000 will be the accepted norm.

Sheeeeit, based on the current sales data and the asking prices of of 9.8's on ebay now (all of which are direct edition copies), I think newsstand 9.8's will be a solid $2000-$2200 in a couple months.I have not seen a newsstand 9.8 copy for sale in the past 6 months, if not a year.

Case in point, last 2 sales via auction for 9.8 direct editions were $1400 a week or so ago, and a sale made at $1475 within the past day.So, the book is holding strong, while gradually increasing in price.

If you can't afford B.A 12 pick up the Batman Adventures TPB vol 2 - has the original story printed and with the original cover in the book. Way cheaper alternative, and I have a feeling that these TPB were not printed in high demand either. Might have room for value.

Another is batman adventures mad love. By the way guys which Harley Quinn book

do you think will be the second most important book to collect?

Thought it was either Mad Love or Harley Quinn one-shot (the one with the Ross cover).

Another is batman adventures mad love. By the way guys which Harley Quinn book

do you think will be the second most important book to collect?

Mad Love as it was her 2nd app. and first origin.

Third place tie goes to:

3rd is Batman Adventures Annual # 1 (3rd app. Harley and 1st app. Roxy Rocket) and Harley Quinn prestige format 1 shot (1st HQ in DC continuity......... with a slight lead to BA Ann 1.

.....I think the former is a sleeper.It is also is the 1st app of Roxy Rocket and she has a growing fan base.I sell Detective 822 (Roxy's 1st app in DC continuity) out of my $10 boxes, every time I do a show.Raw 9.2 to 9.8 candidates.Every comic shop I go to,it's sold out of their regularly priced back issue bins.

CGC and CBCS's labels do not note that BA Ann 1 book is Roxy's 1st app yet so I think once they start doing so (in tandem with Harley heating up), this book is a winnah on 2 fronts.

Then Batman Adventures # 28 but I'll stop there.