• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to Theo Holstein?
1 1

173 posts in this topic

Just info, Theo and David Copperfield have the two best co-op collections in the world for rarest of the rare machines. David's collection is bigger and probably better but each has machines the other wants and have been friendly over the years.

Both have been collectors for a very long time. Theo started over 30 years ago when co-op was cheap. Both have probably made millions by beating the crowd, getting them cheap. Still they have been known to drop 100K up at heartbeat for a good piece. It is a different kind of world, and different breed of collector. I have been luckly to visit a number of collectors houses with theo, and have seen some great pieces over the years. I do not collect nor own any currently. If David offers two, then it is worth 5 million, if theo offers 3 then its worth 7-10, these guys are the two sharpest guys in the biz.

If you want to know the truth, here it is. Theo holstein is only after that fortune teller so he can use to make fakes and sell them, excuse me, attempt to sell them for a ridiculous amount of money. He has made many fakes before, not just arcade fakes but paintings too. Most of good old theo's "collection" is fake. He is not a sharp buyer by any means. He is a con artist of the worst kind. Beware of him because he is known to rip people off at the slightest chance.

Just info, Theo and David Copperfield have the two best co-op collections in the world for rarest of the rare machines. David's collection is bigger and probably better but each has machines the other wants and have been friendly over the years.

Both have been collectors for a very long time. Theo started over 30 years ago when co-op was cheap. Both have probably made millions by beating the crowd, getting them cheap. Still they have been known to drop 100K up at heartbeat for a good piece. It is a different kind of world, and different breed of collector. I have been luckly to visit a number of collectors houses with theo, and have seen some great pieces over the years. I do not collect nor own any currently. If David offers two, then it is worth 5 million, if theo offers 3 then its worth 7-10, these guys are the two sharpest guys in the biz.

If you want to know the truth, here it is. Theo holstein is only after that fortune teller so he can use to make fakes and sell them, excuse me, attempt to sell them for a ridiculous amount of money. He has made many fakes before, not just arcade fakes but paintings too. Most of good old theo's "collection" is fake. He is not a sharp buyer by any means. He is a con artist of the worst kind. Beware of him because he is known to rip people off at the slightest chance.

Preaching to the choir.

Preaching to the choir.

And we are all tuned in.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Preaching to the choir.

1. IMO, random72, with his first post on the boards, is probably Stu sporting a new monicker, looking to stir up a pot of trouble before the Mods make him go *poof* again.

stirthepot.gif

2. If this is the choir then maybe I'm out of tune. Folks say a lot of things about Theo, that he's eccentric, difficult to negotiate with, even crazy, which is a subjective POV based on reported dealings I've heard from other's, ...but a con-man selling fakes? Where's the original poster's evidence? That's a very serious accusation. hm

Exhibit numbers one & two from my own collection (both purchased from Theo):

da11e135-4ecf-489a-8e18-93f373eb325d_zps32dd1c15-1.jpg

25033418-5adf-4cd0-8205-d4adfc9e5917_zpsa1e755c9.jpg

Anyone think these are fakes? :taptaptap:

Preaching to the choir.

1. IMO, random72, with his first post on the boards, is probably Stu sporting a new monicker, looking to stir up a pot of trouble before the Mods make him go *poof* again. stirthepot.gif

2. If this is the choir then maybe I'm out of tune. Folks say a lot of things about Theo, that he's eccentric, difficult to negotiate with, even crazy, which is a subjective POV based on reported dealings I've heard from other's, ...but a con-man selling fakes? Where's the original poster's evidence? That's a very serious accusation. hm

Exhibit numbers one & two from my own collection (both purchased from Theo):

da11e135-4ecf-489a-8e18-93f373eb325d_zps32dd1c15-1.jpg

25033418-5adf-4cd0-8205-d4adfc9e5917_zpsa1e755c9.jpg

Anyone think these are fakes? :taptaptap:

If they are would love to have them ( DONT THINK THEY ARE FAKES ). :golfclap: I love them (thumbs u

Edited by woowoo

Thanks, they're not fakes. Inquiries were made with other collectors whose opinions I trust before both purchases.

It troubles me when an anonymous first time poster digs up an old thread and drops such a serious allegation without providing any evidence.

Theo may overestimate value of the collectibles he prices, and there's no question that he's eccentric, but I've heard nothing that suggests he's involved in fraud. That sort of accusation made on a public forum should require some kind of supporting evidence, IMO. My 2c

Thanks, they're not fakes. Inquiries were made with other collectors whose opinions I trust before both purchases.

It troubles me when an anonymous first time poster digs up an old thread and drops such a serious allegation without providing any evidence.

Theo may overestimate value of the collectibles he prices, and there's no question that he's eccentric, but I've heard nothing that suggests he's involved in fraud. That sort of accusation made on a public forum should require some kind of supporting evidence, IMO. My 2c

:devil: We true comic geeks overestimate value of the collectibles all the time.

He bids expensive books up in auctions and then doesn't pay for them. You can call it fraud or just being an individual_without_enough_empathy. It's still a lousy way to do business.

He bids expensive books up in auctions and then doesn't pay for them. You can call it fraud or just being an individual_without_enough_empathy. It's still a lousy way to do business.

Jeff, I've heard this as well. If true, I'd agree 100% that it's lousy, but it's still a far cry from fraud, which is by definition an unlawful act that may be prosecutable. I'd also like to know the specifics of the allegations to better assess the rationale he used for not paying for items won.

Note: For years auctions have been accused of using shills to bid up expensive collectibles and some state laws apparently allow it. IMO, this should be criminal, but depending upon where the auction is held it's considered a grey area. I'm assuming that neither of us approve of shill bidding, but if legal, it isn't fraud.

His auctions can go for princely sums.

Oh boy, I'm going to go out on a limb here. I was always the guy in high school who stood up against the bullies who picked on the snoids...

Yeah, Theo is alive and well. I see him from time to time at toy shows and flea markets. He is definately a unique guy. But this hobby has always been full of weird people and big egos. He has always been a little different. He has bought things from me and tried to sell them for an outrageous profit. (After grinding me down on price). I laugh at him and tell him he is crazy. He always wears a crazy sailor hat and I razz him for that. I say nothing here that I wouldn't say to his face. He is always very friendly and one of the most passionate collectors I know. We have both talked about coming over to see each other's collections but have had a hard time getting it together. (I hear that in addition to coin op machines, he has a knee dropping art collection)

I have heard a few stories about his dealings maybe true, maybe not. Coming on a public forum smearing somebody's reprutation without substantial facts to back it up is pretty cowardly and totaly with out merit in my opinion.

Is he crazy or eccentric? Sure, but aren't we all to the general public? No crime in that. How many of you have actually met or talked to him? I'm sure a few of you have and I know have their own opinions, many rightly so. He's not my best friend and I don't defend his actions either way. But I don't like the lynching mob mentality. You all have a right to your opinion and so do I. He has never burned me or misled me.

I have asked him why he doesn't come on the boards? This is a perfect example why. Can't say I blame him. Too bad, because he is a very passionate collector and been doing it a long time. I'm sure some of his experiences and stories would be wonderful to hear,,,

I hesitated coming on here myself for a long time. But I have found this community to be very warm, friendly and welcoming for the most part. As long as it stays this way, I will be here. When it gets ugly, I'm gone...

Particularly if the poster wishes to remain anonymous while doing so.

Oh boy, I'm going to go out on a limb here. I was always the guy in high school who stood up against the bullies who picked on the snoids...

Yeah, Theo is alive and well. I see him from time to time at toy shows and flea markets. He is definately a unique guy. But this hobby has always been full of weird people and big egos. He has always been a little different. He has bought things from me and tried to sell them for an outrageous profit. (After grinding me down on price). I laugh at him and tell him he is crazy. He always wears a crazy sailor hat and I razz him for that. I say nothing here that I wouldn't say to his face. He is always very friendly and one of the most passionate collectors I know. We have both talked about coming over to see each other's collections but have had a hard time getting it together. (I hear that in addition to coin op machines, he has a knee dropping art collection)

I have heard a few stories about his dealings maybe true, maybe not. Coming on a public forum smearing somebody's reprutation without substantial facts to back it up is pretty cowardly and totaly with out merit in my opinion.

Is he crazy or eccentric? Sure, but aren't we all to the general public? No crime in that. How many of you have actually met or talked to him? I'm sure a few of you have and I know have their own opinions, many rightly so. He's not my best friend and I don't defend his actions either way. But I don't like the lynching mob mentality. You all have a right to your opinion and so do I. He has never burned me or misled me.

I have asked him why he doesn't come on the boards? This is a perfect example why. Can't say I blame him. Too bad, because he is a very passionate collector and been doing it a long time. I'm sure some of his experiences and stories would be wonderful to hear,,,

I hesitated coming on here myself for a long time. But I have found this community to be very warm, friendly and welcoming for the most part. As long as it stays this way, I will be here. When it gets ugly, I'm gone...

Great post.