• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Thanks guys,

That pretty much answers my question. I'm looking at a piece that's sitting right around a cover price, but didn't know if it was outlandishly priced.

Now to either pull the trigger or start the mourning process. lol

Was it common in the 60s-70s to make copies of each page such as this?

RainbowandFF12011_zps0a3b196d.jpg

Thanks for any info.

That looks like what some might refer to as a "stat sheet." I knew a person who had a few skid piles of these in his store. They were all from Superior Comics. They were really fun to look through, and I could kick myself for not buying a few. Last time I saw him, he said they were all long gone.

Thanks for any info.

That looks like what some might refer to as a "stat sheet." I knew a person who had a few skid piles of these in his store. They were all from Superior Comics. They were really fun to look through, and I could kick myself for not buying a few. Last time I saw him, he said they were all long gone.

I remain leery of this... It could be nothing more than an Epson print on luster photo paper. Take a wet rag and wipe it across a small part of the black border. If the black rubs off, it's not a stat, it's an inkjet print.

Thanks for any info.

That looks like what some might refer to as a "stat sheet." I knew a person who had a few skid piles of these in his store. They were all from Superior Comics. They were really fun to look through, and I could kick myself for not buying a few. Last time I saw him, he said they were all long gone. Thanks for the info :)

I remain leery of this... It could be nothing more than an Epson print on luster photo paper. Take a wet rag and wipe it across a small part of the black border. If the black rubs off, it's not a stat, it's an inkjet print.

Jack Kirby inscribed it to Mike Royer in 1969, and I purchased it from Mike a couple months ago, so I'm pretty sure it's not an inkjet print. Thanks though. Not sure if I want to try the water test :eek:

I truly appreciate your assistance (worship) , thank you. I agree these are probably stats. I've seen plenty scans of stats, but never any in person, and I don't think I've seen the four page per sheet look either, so I wanted to be sure. I love collecting unique items as well as comics and art, so the 2 Kirby sigs fit in with that.

Is it known how many stats are usually made from any given comic book from the SA? Do I dare hope that there aren't many (or :wishluck: any :wishluck: ) others?

Edited by MR-SigS

It's got to be about 20 years since I looked at those Superior Comics stats. They were four panel, and sqaurish in dimension. My understanding is they were used at the proofing stage to see how everything looked layed before running the print job. I can't speak on how many stats would have been generated, though it is possible that a story with revisions to the artwork or writing may have needed a few pages to be proofed more than once in a stat format before getting approval.

I posted about an example with an OA story where I noticed there were two of the same page, both CCA stamped at the back. One was all inked, the other was mostly a paste-up/copy with the edits in ink at the bottom, meaning both pages needed to be run through the CCA before the story ran. So if that existed with OA, I'd imagine it's possible it could happen with stats.

So to be clear, the first scans that follows is all inked (with titling as paste-ons) and the second is the edited version - both were included in the OA story. I couldn't figure out why until I had the actual comic in hand and noticed the edits, which are the final version which is mostly made-up of a copy of the inked version with 1/4 of it being inked only at the bottom:

Jughead_DD_152_pg1_zps771cc49d.jpg

Jughead_DD_152_pg1_stat_zpsccfe9a8e.jpg

I recently began buying original art and have already made some mistakes that I've learned from. I think one of the important things to remember is to buy a piece that you love and enjoy. If you love it, you'll appreciate it a lot more and it will bring more value over time. I've bought some pieces just because I thought it was a good deal, but I didn't necessarily like the piece. Guess what? Now, I want to get rid of them because I don't like them that much. I've also tried to get some pieces I liked a lot on auction sites, but didn't bid high enough. Basically I learned that it's ok to pay a little more for something you love, and to avoid stuff you don't like that much (even if it's relatively cheap).

Can anyone describe their dealings with Coolines Artwork?

You can PM me if you'd rather (thumbs u

New to art collecting and I contacted Steve for prices on a few pieces.

I found his prices to be very high. Even one case he sent me a price of a page 1k higher then what he had posted on ebay.

I asked if he would haggle but he was also firm on all his prices.

Mike Burkey, Albert and Bechara have been good to me..

Ricky

New to art collecting and I contacted Steve for prices on a few pieces.

I found his prices to be very high. Even one case he sent me a price of a page 1k higher then what he had posted on ebay.

I asked if he would haggle but he was also firm on all his prices.

Mike Burkey, Albert and Bechara have been good to me..

Ricky

Oh and Mitch at Graphic Collectables.. Been super awesome to deal with as well..

Edited by RickyBobby

No need to bog this thread down with the dozens(hundreds?) of anecdotal incidences that are sure to follow.

Plenty of info can be found HERE and HERE.

And with more digging I'm sure a few more threads can be found :facepalm:

No need to bog this thread down with the dozens(hundreds?) of anecdotal incidences that are sure to follow.

Sorry, I still struggle with the search function.

Thank you for the links.

Thank you for the links.

To clarify, the :facepalm: wasn't for the fact that a search wasn't done prior, but the sad commentary that so many threads can be found regarding the business practices of just one dealer :(

Thank you for the links.

To clarify, the :facepalm: wasn't for the fact that a search wasn't done prior, but the sad commentary that so many threads can be found regarding the business practices of just one dealer :(

I used the request a price checkout basket thing on their site inquiring about some pieces and was a little shocked at the sticker price, then I saw one of the pieces sold to a collector with an impressive collection.

And while I have no idea the actual sale price I thought maybe my expectations were off.

I used the request a price checkout basket thing on their site inquiring about some pieces and was a little shocked at the sticker price, then I saw one of the pieces sold to a collector with an impressive collection.

And while I have no idea the actual sale price I thought maybe my expectations were off.

Unless you can get specific details from the collector, assume it was a trade situation. I don't know anybody that's been around that regularly pays CL retail in cash...it's laughable.

Question from a super newbie here. There is a piece of art I fell in love with many years ago and got outbid in an eBay auction. It was a cover and didn't have the title/logo/comic code authority etc. I saw the same page listed on the coolines webpage except it had the title of the comic, CCA logo, writer/artist of the comic (basically the cover of the comic without colors). I inquired about price and it was about 10 times what the other piece went for. I love this artist/ comic and this would be my dream piece. However, if I'm even considering paying that much, I'd want to know I'm not just paying for a photocopy that really isn't considered original art. Is the piece without the logo and title considered original art or is it the piece with the title, etc? Is one considered a "stat" and one not? Not sure about what I should be looking for. Also, do the more experienced members have advice on negotiating prices with coolines. Help much appreciated.