• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,558 posts in this topic

It looks nicer than 8.0 on the surface. But CLink scans are hard to read and we can't see the bc. I showed you my Planet 71 and I think you agreed. I was robbed.

I do agree. Beautiful book, you were robbed. Still seeing evidence of this change here and there, and Sqeggs confirming through his ear to the ground. I don't see much being posted about it, but then again I'm not looking real hard. Feels like more than just a bit of tightening, especially if the policy is to narrow the gap between SA and "atomic" and god forbid GA. For books like mine it's a game changer.

and forgive my manners...great book, great buy Sqeggs! Could your slow walk out of Baker romance cause a real softening in price? I guess we'll see...unless...let the upgrading begin! :baiting:

I see you nabbed two wonderful Marvel books, the 9.2 My Love 1 and 9.2 Our Love 1. Fantastic value! :headbang: Romita goodness, and the final closing act for silver romance. Next up: bronze age gothic romance, and the end of a genre.

Edited by Dr. Love

It looks nicer than 8.0 on the surface. But CLink scans are hard to read and we can't see the bc. I showed you my Planet 71 and I think you agreed. I was robbed.

I do agree. Beautiful book, you were robbed. Still seeing evidence of this change here and there, and Sqeggs confirming through his ear to the ground. I don't see much being posted about it, but then again I'm not looking real hard. Feels like more than just a bit of tightening, especially if the policy is to narrow the gap between SA and "atomic" and god forbid GA. For books like mine it's a game changer.

and forgive my manners...great book, great buy Sqeggs! Could your slow walk out of Baker romance cause a real softening in price? I guess we'll see...unless...let the upgrading begin! :baiting:

I see you nabbed two wonderful Marvel books, the 9.2 My Love 1 and 9.2 Our Love 1. Fantastic value! :headbang: Romita goodness, and the final closing act for silver romance. Next up: bronze age gothic romance, and the end of a genre.

I have played a role in inflating Baker prices :acclaim: (although I've had help)! This one was an upgrade; I had a raw that was FN or so. It is a book you see around, although only five on the census with nothing above 8.0.

As I look at all the great non-Baker romance books out there, putting a collection together seems like a daunting prospect. hm

This Pictorial Romances 10 sold tonight for $605. Tied for highest grade with one other. Is the Baker romance trend down? I haven't done any research, but once you discount Sixth Street, has there been a more than usual influx of 8.0+ books to market?

and is the grading as usual for past 2 years, or have we entered a new tightening in response to new competition and the last recent period of loose grading?

PictorialRomances10f_zpslpieg8cn-1.jpg

It looks graded about right. I have a slabbed WTR # 8 at 8.0 and they seem comparable. This issue is some what common. Plus, they may have taken into account it's miscut/off-centered? Can't see the back cover, so there maybe something there to lower the grade. I submitted several Baker books to CGC, recently. Let see how those come out as far as their tight grading lately.

comitrhymeswithlust_zps38f9b4b9.jpg

Nice copy of a Baker must-have!

Just got my own copy back from CGC. I was hoping for a litttttle bit higher grade but it does have a pretty good edge tear from where a person's thumb holds the book, so whatever.

I also got a reprint copy of the book and finally read the thing. It's a very entertaining story, very much like a movie treatment. I could see it being the story for a full-length film noir movie, and a pretty good one at that.

At least from that picture, the grading really seems harsh. Still a sharp copy of a great book.

Nice copy of a great book! Grade does seem excessively tight. No more leeway for GA?

Thanks! The grade is really tight, yes. There is a tear on the right side of the cover that goes in a little more than an inch, but the cover displays great, the binding is tight, and the paper quality is pretty good.

I just had a bunch of stuff graded by CGC, and I think most of the grades were really tight. One thing I am noticing is that they are especially rough on interior page color/quality. I had many GA comics I thought should have gotten 8.0 or even 9.0, but came back as 7.0 with the only notable flaw (that I know of) being that they were "off-white" instead of "white."

I posted this in the MLJ Archie thread but it goes here too. I just yesterday got back 30 slabs from CGC and quickly snapped this photo of a couple favorites.

I checked the census and it shows two copies of Teen-Age Romances #41 at the grade 5.5, and no other copies. I can't figure out if CGC inputted my copy twice, or was there always a 5.5 copy graded? I don't recall seeing a 5.5 copy in the census during previous searches. Does somebody here have a 2nd 5.5. copy? Just curious because it is such a weird coincidence if there are 2 graded copies at the exact same grade.

Anyway, I am happy with the grade even if CGC is grading pretty tight these days. I love the comic. I hate to slab it, which is true of many of my comics, but I decided to take the CGC plunge (my first time getting things graded) and went for it on a whole bunch of comics.

152607.jpg.76f6288f3e2a103c8a598e5fb703e83a.jpg

I posted this in the MLJ Archie thread but it goes here too. I just yesterday got back 30 slabs from CGC and quickly snapped this photo of a couple favorites.

I checked the census and it shows two copies of Teen-Age Romances #41 at the grade 5.5, and no other copies. I can't figure out if CGC inputted my copy twice, or was there always a 5.5 copy graded? I don't recall seeing a 5.5 copy in the census during previous searches. Does somebody here have a 2nd 5.5. copy? Just curious because it is such a weird coincidence if there are 2 graded copies at the exact same grade.

Anyway, I am happy with the grade even if CGC is grading pretty tight these days. I love the comic. I hate to slab it, which is true of many of my comics, but I decided to take the CGC plunge (my first time getting things graded) and went for it on a whole bunch of comics.

There was a previous TR 41 5.5. Sold at a Cc auction a few years ago. Unfortunately not to me.

There was a previous TR 41 5.5. Sold at a Cc auction a few years ago. Unfortunately not to me.

Ah thanks. My own confusion then. When CGC's online update system for my account went to the "shipped/safe" stage, I looked a the census and I saw one 5.5 and thought it was mine. I guess they updated their census just in the last day or so.

Nice books. The Archie looks exceptional.

Ken

Nice TAR 41. I just have this raggedy raw copy.

_57_zpscb086321.jpg