• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree collectors

100 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a book from every pedigree? I think it would be a great sort of check list to have a book from each and every pedigree. Just wondering if anyone has actually done as such. :popcorn:

I believe Strawman does but don't get him started!

lol I was wondering what pedigree what the toughest to find. Or is it a pretty simple feat to do.

Does anyone have a book from every pedigree? I think it would be a great sort of check list to have a book from each and every pedigree. Just wondering if anyone has actually done as such. :popcorn:

lol I was wondering what pedigree what the toughest to find. Or is it a pretty simple feat to do.

I would guess Allentown because it was so small. Hawkeye seem pretty tough as well (no markings). I have only one Carson City and don't see many of those. I've never seen a "Van Buren" either. Get Gator or Strawman in here. They would probably know better than me.

The hardest ones are the ones that are no longer recognized....Sherwood only has 4 examples, there's a sa that I believe only has a couple of ga books slabbed. Parker (straw-man) I believe is complete with ga ...I tried till I realized a couple (like Sherwood) would be next to impossible.

I would guess Allentown because it was so small. Hawkeye seem pretty tough as well (no markings). I have only one Carson City and don't see many of those. I've never seen a "Van Buren" either. Get Gator or Strawman in here. They would probably know better than me.

Allentown is one of the scarcer pedigrees, Hawkeye more so.

I believe the toughest golden age pedigree is one of the (almost exclusively) silver age ones that only has one or two examples. I remember straw man acquiring one, just not the pedigree.

The hardest ones are the ones that are no longer recognized....Sherwood only has 4 examples, there's a sa that I believe only has a couple of ga books slabbed. Parker (straw-man) I believe is complete with ga ...I tried till I realized a couple (like Sherwood) would be next to impossible.

You beat me to it. Toledo is also no longer recognized. What are the others? The one with the "N" on the covers - what was that one?

Edited by Flex Mentallo

cookeville never cgc recognized.

with all due modesty, my little set will be hard to duplicate. only 3 pay copies, only 4 sherwoods, only 1 or 2 twin cities in a g.a. holder, only a couple slabbed g.a. don and maggies, not many western penns, not many savannahs and only @20 toledos. for there to be another confluence of all of those will be tuff.

with all due modesty, my little set will be hard to duplicate. only 3 pay copies, only 4 sherwoods, only 1 or 2 twin cities in a g.a. holder, only a couple slabbed g.a. don and maggies, not many western penns, not many savannahs and only @20 toledos. for there to be another confluence of all of those will be tuff.

It's an amazing achievement.

Wow, tougher than I imagined.

from the site:

CGC recognizes the following pedigree collections on the CGC label:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane

•Crowley

•Curator

•Davis Crippen “D” Copy

•Denver

•Don Rosa Collection

•Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

•Edgar Church (Mile High)

•Gaines File Copy

•Green River

•Hawkeye

•Kansas City

•Larson

•Lost Valley

•Mass. Copy

•Mohawk Valley

•Haight-Ashbury

•Northford

•Northland

•Nova Scotia

•Oakland

•Ohio

•Okajima

•Pacific Coast

•Palo Alto

•Pennsylvania

•Recil Macon

•River City

•Rockford

•Rocky Mountain

•Salida

•San Francisco

•Savannah

•Spokane

•Suscha News

•Twilight

•Twin Cities

•Vancouver

•Western Penn

•White Mountain

•Windy City

•Winnipeg

in addition, once upon a time they slabbed as peds the following g.a. books:

circle 8

diamond run

sherwood

toledo

they also have many "file copies" other than the gaines.

I sneakily bumped Billy's pedigree thread...

I sneakily bumped Billy's pedigree thread...

nice sneak! very well conceived.

Billy casts his net pretty wide and with the peds no longer recognized, I think the chances are vanishingly small of anyone achieving this feat again.

For the CGC recognized peds, it isn't impossible but you'd have to get a Haight-Asbury copy and last I heard, they were all in a single private collection. For me, I am missing six though the Silver and Bronze ones are available. I owned two of the others but no longer have the books.

from the site:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane

•Crowley

•Curator

•Davis Crippen “D” Copy

•Denver

•Don Rosa Collection

•Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

•Edgar Church (Mile High)

•Gaines File Copy

•Green River

•Hawkeye

•Kansas City

•Larson

•Lost Valley

•Mass. Copy

•Mohawk Valley

•Haight-Ashbury

•Northford

•Northland

•Nova Scotia

•Oakland

•Ohio

•Okajima

•Pacific Coast

•Palo Alto

•Pennsylvania

•Recil Macon

•River City

•Rockford

•Rocky Mountain

•Salida

•San Francisco

•Savannah

•Spokane

•Suscha News

•Twilight

•Twin Cities

•Vancouver

•Western Penn

•White Mountain

•Windy City

•Winnipeg

the haight-asbury thing doesn't impact the g.a. type-set.

"The Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) has recognized Haight-Ashbury, the first underground pedigree. The Haight-Ashbury Collection consists of almost 500 underground “comix” books and magazines named after the section in San Francisco where the hippy subculture originated.

Popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s, underground comix are small-press or self-published books that often contain socially relevant content. The collection features an overwhelming majority of first printings with minimal duplication.

These comics were collected by a single individual from San Francisco starting in 1970. After obtaining his first batch of underground comics, the owner started putting aside new books every week for the next five to six years, never reading them. Although he was not a comic collector, he collected other items and knew it was important to store them carefully. From 1976 to 1981 he added a few comics and associated publications to his collection, but nothing like the early years.

Late last year, the owner came across the books he put away decades ago and decided to sell them. Because they were stored meticulously, the books have fantastic color and look like they were printed yesterday. Howard Greber (a.k.a "Eggs Ackley" on the CGC® Chat Board) contacted the owner and purchased the entire collection. Howard has been collecting and selling comic books since the mid-1960s and currently specializes in the underground “comix” genre.

Among the first few books graded by CGC are Death Rattle #1, CGC 9.8; Zap #3, CGC 9.2; Zap #4, CGC 9.4; Arcade #1, CGC 9.8; Freak Brothers #1, CGC 9.2; Snatch #3, CGC 9.8; and American Splendor #1, CGC 9.6.

Paul Litch, CGC primary grader, comments, “This is a rare and exceptional collection of underground books that has never been seen in such high grade. The pages are in beautiful condition; the covers have bold colors. CGC is thrilled to be a part of the first underground pedigree to hit the market.”

Billy casts his net pretty wide and with the peds no longer recognized, I think the chances are vanishingly small of anyone achieving this feat again.

For the CGC recognized peds, it isn't impossible but you'd have to get a Haight-Asbury copy and last I heard, they were all in a single private collection. For me, I am missing six though the Silver and Bronze ones are available. I owned two of the others but no longer have the books.

from the site:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane