• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

Ah, the old gorilla blood transfer. Great cover that I've never seen. I have a lot of these. I collect them for the covers and there seem to be a lot of cool covers in this title. I also love the "2 for 5 cents" stamp. We can only dream...

OK, if we're doing Thrilling Mysteries...

I think I posted this one a while back, but it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle:

ThrillingMystery0939.jpg

Ah, the old gorilla blood transfer. Great cover that I've never seen. I have a lot of these. I collect them for the covers and there seem to be a lot of cool covers in this title. I also love the "2 for 5 cents" stamp. We can only dream...

I think I posted this one a while back, but it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle:

ThrillingMystery0939.jpg

Yeah, we can dream about 2 for 5c pulps, can't we? Although I did only pay $10 for that issue, I think; and the page quality is amazing. So nearly that good a price once you adjust for inflation, at least in spirit.

ThrillingMystery0939.jpg

The lady in red love the cover and title.

And a couple new ones:

Shadow_1947_09_zpskw8v5xwj.jpg

Notable for having one of the shortest Shadow "novels" in the entire run; a mere 47 pages compared to 74 for Never Marry Murder by "Peter Reed", a house name which in this case is being used by John D. MacDonald. I have no idea why the pseudonym, since he doesn't have another story in the issue.

Astounding_39-11_zps0uofjgsc.jpg

Obviously this one starts off with part of "Gray Lensman", quite possibly THE classic space opera. It also has Heinlein's second story, "Misfit", and de Camp, del Rey, and Hubbard all have stories or articles in here as well. And that isn't even that unusual a line-up for Astounding in the 1939-1942 run. What an incredible run of issues Astounding was those years.

Here's a couple of my favorite Thrilling Mystery pulps. I especially love the cover of the crazy guy on the May issue!

pulpthrillingmystery2_zps39c03358.jpg

pulpthrillingmystery1_zps36d0808d.jpg

I used to have the TM issue with the guy with his hands severed off cover - an REH story inside too if I recall. Dang I should've kept that one.

here's a recent pick up

Phantom Detective 1/35

Nice one! I really do need to track down at least one Phantom Detective at some point, just to say I've seen one. Given how long the series ran it seems to get lost next to most of the other Hero Pulp characters.

[font:Arial Black]Just picked up the earliest known Shadow sign from January 1932. I have 18 different original advertising signs from the 1930's and 40's.[/font]

59bc76b4-1357-4f7b-b2e1-0b7b9c0e694e_zpsf435de38.jpg

Jan1932Shadowsignangle_zps48e09fb8.jpg

Jan1932Shadowsignonstand_zpsafdfd7f4.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Here is the sign along with the April 1932 (left) and Jan.1932 (right) isssues of The Shadow magazine from my collection![/font]

FRameandpulps_zps010412b7.jpg

[font:Arial Black]I think BZ has a sharp copy of every cool pulp cover.

Here is the Copy of Thrilling Mystery that I picked up last year at Windy City.

The colors on it were so sharp that I initially had to take a double take at it as I thought it was a reprint.[/font]

[font:Arial Black]What a killer cover image, and an REH story too boot![/font]

5e117154-21d3-4fa3-836f-2946c5f3acbf_zpsb5178cf0.jpg

Edited by detective35DF

[font:Arial Black]Just picked up the earliest known Shadow sign from January 1932. I have 18 different original advertising signs from the 1930's and 40's.[/font]

59bc76b4-1357-4f7b-b2e1-0b7b9c0e694e_zpsf435de38.jpg

Jan1932Shadowsignangle_zps48e09fb8.jpg

Jan1932Shadowsignonstand_zpsafdfd7f4.jpg

Amazing! (worship)

[font:Arial Black]Here is the sign along with the April 1932 (left) and Jan.1932 (right) isssues of The Shadow magazine from my collection![/font]

FRameandpulps_zps010412b7.jpg