• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Captain America 168 should be taking off any minute since Zemo is "confirmed" for the next movie. Cap 275 is starting to move a bit since junior is actually in the costume in 275 for the 1st time.

Play it safe and go with both

Sold on the "rumor". :grin:

Always had a soft spot for this issue, had the Power Records comic and 45 set when I was little and played it to death, those sets really got me heavy into comics. I can forget about finding a mint sealed one cheap now :taptaptap:

There are a lot of savvy collectors on these boards, I was wondering who among us would fork out these ludicrous prices for books that you could have picked up for a fraction of the price a year or so ago? I for one, would not, I would sooner go without.

This. In spades. :sumo:

Statement is a bit too large of a blanket for me. Everyone has different factors that go into their decision making comic purchasing processes.

I don't care what it was worth yesterday if I think I can make money on it tomorrow. Worth $2 a year ago, I buy for $10 today, but maybe I could sell for $25 a year from now when the movie debuts.

Or if my kid desperately wants the first app of Rocket Raccoon, I might get it for him if I can afford it, independent of its value a year ago.

Pretty reasonable reasons to buy a comic today that was worth only a fraction a year ago.

I would say all of us on here would gladly buy books for $25 if we could flip them for $50 or whatever, what I am asking is this, would you pay $400-$500 for a book, for example Jungle Action #5, because it has doubled or tripled in price, just because of a movie?

There are a lot of savvy collectors on these boards, I was wondering who among us would fork out these ludicrous prices for books that you could have picked up for a fraction of the price a year or so ago? I for one, would not, I would sooner go without.

This. In spades. :sumo:

Statement is a bit too large of a blanket for me. Everyone has different factors that go into their decision making comic purchasing processes.

I don't care what it was worth yesterday if I think I can make money on it tomorrow. Worth $2 a year ago, I buy for $10 today, but maybe I could sell for $25 a year from now when the movie debuts.

Or if my kid desperately wants the first app of Rocket Raccoon, I might get it for him if I can afford it, independent of its value a year ago.

Pretty reasonable reasons to buy a comic today that was worth only a fraction a year ago.

I would say all of us on here would gladly buy books for $25 if we could flip them for $50 or whatever, what I am asking is this, would you pay $400-$500 for a book, for example Jungle Action #5, because it has doubled or tripled in price, just because of a movie?

I would if I thought it would go up even more. I think plenty of us on the boards (and others not on the board) are happy catching books on the way up.

I'm not informed enough on Black Panther. But I will say that I bought a X Factor 6 for like $8 bucks like 3 yeas ago. I bought a similar grade one for like $25 a few months ago, because I still think it has time and room to grow in price.

I guess its just case by case. I certainly would take into account the past behavior of the comic pricing, but I don't think a movie related spike would automatically cause me to dismiss buying it.

Depends on the book and the situation. I bought a copy of Avengers 58 this week. I imagine it has seen some price increase as a result of the movie. I wasn't specifically looking for a copy nor did I purchase this one to resell, I simply stumbled upon it, and it seemed like a fair price for how nice it looked. That just happens sometimes. Plus, it can be a lot easier to justify overpaying for a book when you know you can recoup some or all of that money by selling off dollar bin drek like Sleepwalker 1.

I've been looking for a decent copy of Strange Adventures 205 for a bit. If I do find an appropriate copy I will likely be fine in purchasing it despite the fact that it will all but likely be marked up as a result of the movie hype.

Don't blink else you guys might miss another fast rising star...

Looks like Demon #1 is starting to trend up. This copy @ $10 but 30 watchers.. I'll be interested to see how high it goes before the close of auction. hm

:P

I know it's heating up because of the JLA Dark news, but the Demon is such a cool character that this shouldn't come as a total surprise.Besides Darkseid, I always thought the Demon was the most noteworthy character that Kirby created for DC, especially considering how well he has evolved over the years.

Also, while I'm sure it had a nice sized print run, I don't think it was hoarded in the numbers that Kirby's 4th World books were. Early issues were some of Kirbys best DC work.

Plus, it's a book that I always grabbed when I saw it in a long box so that's always good.

I just picked up a collection of high grade CGC Bronze/Silver, in it were four Demon books. And I have to say the covers on these books is just amazing to look at!

That is a terrific price for that comic. Congratulations!

I must have missed this. What movie hype is driving SA 205?

I've been looking for a decent copy of Strange Adventures 205 for a bit. If I do find an appropriate copy I will likely be fine in purchasing it despite the fact that it will all but likely be marked up as a result of the movie hype.

I guess something like a rumored Justice League Dark flick

I guess something like a rumored Justice League Dark flick

Deadman = JLD = Del Torro movie -script = hype

Edited by ygogolak

This was kind of surprising. I have a big stack of these and have never broken $20 before.

I can't fathom these late 70's Marvel #1s...which are among some of the most hoarded books in existence...selling for more than $3 raw.

One LCS I go to has a short box of these. I think they are priced at $8-10.

Shazam #1 is in that category as well, well used to be.

This was kind of surprising. I have a big stack of these and have never broken $20 before.

I can't fathom these late 70's Marvel #1s...which are among some of the most hoarded books in existence...selling for more than $3 raw.

If anything it's proving that ebay is the worst value place to buy comics.

yes - if you can get high grade Shazam 1s for $10, jump all over them.

yes - if you can get high grade Shazam 1s for $10, jump all over them.

A year or more ago or so I saw about 4 at an LCS. Had no interest with them. doh!

But I did pick up their only copy of 28 for $8. ^^

Nice to know. I have a few laying around as well.

Ya, I saw a 9.0 slab for a surprisingly high price, so I sold my raw and got a decent penny for it. Don't have stacks of them like you gents, though.

I would find it less surprising if the scan was of a potential 9.8 copy, but I don't see it as being better than the NM you have it listed at and I don't think the little things wrong with it can get pressed out.

I have sold VF copies of that book for $7-$8 or thereabouts (and those were probably 4 or 5 years ago) , so I dunno if that is so wacky. Guide is what, $18-$20? Donut being a very etsablished seller no doubt helped. It's not like people have comic shops to wander into anymore to potentially buy something like this. My LCS would probably make it $8-$10.

Edited by the blob