• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,275 posts in this topic

I had to bump this thread 'cuz I finally got a copy of my fave Nellie issue. Thanks, Chris.

151692.jpg

I've always thought that this could be a DeCarlo cover. It's in his style. Plus this was from when he started doing the Millie books as well.

I had to bump this thread 'cuz I finally got a copy of my fave Nellie issue. Thanks, Chris.

151692.jpg

I've always thought that this could be a DeCarlo cover. It's in his style. Plus this was from when he started doing the Millie books as well.

I'd bet the farm that's DeCarlo.

151692.jpg

I'd bet the farm that's DeCarlo.

The appreciation for Dan's work keeps growing.

Here's a copy that just sold on ebay.

Nellie

I can't believe a FN- copy of Hedy of Hollywood #36 went for $611. I am glad that I already have a copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hedy-of-Hollywood-36-Rare-Dan-DeCarlo-Art-Millie-Marvel-Timely-Teen-1950-FN-/141546355271?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20f4d1fa47

That was a bit of a shocker! :o

I think the cover on that one is DeCarlo in addition to the Millie story inside. I'm also glad I have that issue.

Here's another surprising Hedy auction:

Hedy 49

I've noticed an increased interest overall in the Timely/Atlas teen humor books recently. Especially when they contain early DeCarlo artwork or have nice covers. There are a number of undocumented DeCarlo stories in those books. I recall Mary Smith's book on Dan said that he started out at Timely working on Jeanie but I've never found any Jeanie stories that look like his work.

I can't believe a FN- copy of Hedy of Hollywood #36 went for $611. I am glad that I already have a copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hedy-of-Hollywood-36-Rare-Dan-DeCarlo-Art-Millie-Marvel-Timely-Teen-1950-FN-/141546355271?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20f4d1fa47

Whoa! Is there something distinctive about that issue that would cause it go for 10x guide?

Whoa! Is there something distinctive about that issue that would cause it go for 10x guide?

I'm not aware of anything about that particular issue except for the DeCarlo artwork. I've been collecting these books for more than 10 years now. To me, it seems that most of the Timely/Atlas humor series each seem to have one or two particular issues that seem substantially scarcer than the surrounding issues but I never thought of this particular issue of Hedy as being one of those issue.

According to The Art of Dan DeCarlo, by Bill Morrison, "Dan's first assignment was for Jeanie, one of Timely's seemingly endless line of teenage humor books." He drew like the other Timely staff and had not developed his unique cartoon style.

You're correct. I found the Jeanie story. Mary Smith included it in her DeCarlo book. "The Fickle Finger of Fortune" in the May 1948 issue of Jeanie. It's issue #19. Mary noted it as #18 but with the correct issue date. It's very much in the style of the other artists at that time.