• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THRONE OF ATLANTIS Stars Geek Out

----------------------

The stars of "Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis" -- DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation's latest animated film -- were out in full force for the Los Angeles PaleyFest premiere, screening the film ahead of the January 27 Blu-Ray/DVD release. Following up 2014's "Justice League: War," the film is an origin story for Aquaman and pits Arthur Curry and the Justice League against Ocean Master's attempts to subdue the surface world.

----------------------

Picked up a couple of DC movies on the cheap this morning at the soon to be closed Family Dollar. Batman: Year One (with Catwoman short) and Justice League: Doom. Both were directed by Lauren Montgomery, who has done some of the best animated efforts (Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Green Lantern: First Flight, Wonder Woman and a segment in Green Lantern: Emerald Nights. I plan on discussing in this thread what she brings to the table when working on these down the road.

Anyone interested in these should check out a Family Dollar in your area. The prices range from $3-5 for a two-disc set (love the behind the scenes stuff and bonus 'toons). They seem to only carry DC centric stuff. :)

Over the last couple of weeks I went through Green Lantern: The Animated Series on Netflix. Presented commercial-free the plotlines had a chance to flow and overall it was really enjoyable. GL still had Bruce Timm as a producer and it showed.

One thing that struck me is how Timm-series were genius at introducing new DC characters and expanding the universe. They never talked down to their audience, going all the way back to the Batman and Superman animated series. Like with Guy Gardner. They just do it seamlessly, have fun and keep advancing the story. Love that. :cloud9:

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THRONE OF ATLANTIS Stars Geek Out

----------------------

The stars of "Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis" -- DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation's latest animated film -- were out in full force for the Los Angeles PaleyFest premiere, screening the film ahead of the January 27 Blu-Ray/DVD release. Following up 2014's "Justice League: War," the film is an origin story for Aquaman and pits Arthur Curry and the Justice League against Ocean Master's attempts to subdue the surface world.

----------------------

JL:ToA's directors Jay Olivia & Ethan Spaulding have a pretty good track record (Olivia worked on the winning The Flashpoint Paradox and Spaulding did the some fine work with the Son of Batman). Why Olivia didn't just handle Atlantis himself is kind of a mystery though, maybe because of the bland Justice League: War movie he helmed. Who knows? I see the awful screenwriter of JL: War (Heath Corson) worked on Atlantis though. So, it won't be a blind buy on Tuesday for me. :(

Told you I was getting picky with these, Nick. lol

Over the last couple of weeks I went through Green Lantern: The Animated Series on Netflix. Presented commercial-free the plotlines had a chance to flow and overall it was really enjoyable. GL still had Bruce Timm as a producer and it showed.

One thing that struck me is how Timm-series were genius at introducing new DC characters and expanding the universe. They never talked down to their audience, going all the way back to the Batman and Superman animated series. Like with Guy Gardner. They just do it seamlessly, have fun and keep advancing the story. Love that. :cloud9:

I've said it for a few years now. Bruce Timm really knows how to pull together an animated universe, and make it very interesting.

Hopefully, Geoff Johns can do the same with the live-action material. So far, I like where the TV and movie productions are heading. They just can't show up fast enough.

:ohnoez:

I've said it for a few years now. Bruce Timm really knows how to pull together an animated universe, and make it very interesting.

Hopefully, Geoff Johns can do the same with the live-action material. So far, I like where the TV and movie productions are heading. They just can't show up fast enough.

:ohnoez:

Hopefully he'll avoid "Origins" much like Timm managed. :wishluck: There's really no reason to stop momentum cold to spoon-feed audiences lengthy back-story. A clever intro scene, some witty dialog and just let the story keep unfolding. Audiences keep up just fine.

Batman: Year One was a solid animated effort. I've never read all of the graphic novel series (Bosco, I think you sent me one or two issues). At 63 minutes, it moved briskly enough also. Jim Gordon was a real stand-out (voiced by Bryan Cranston). Loved composer Christopher Drake's cue to Danny Elfman's Catwoman theme from Batman Returns. All in all, three out of four stars. :)

The DC Showcase short "Catwoman" on the Batman: Year One disc was pretty awesome. Selena has to solve a mystery of why two goons are trying to whack a stray cat. Think "That Darn Cat" meets "Taken". Written by Paul Dini and directed by Lauren Montgomery (lovin' her stuff) and voiced by New England native Eliza Dushku. It clocks almost fifteen minutes long. Recommended. (thumbs u

The DC Showcase short "Catwoman" on the Batman: Year One disc was pretty awesome. Selena has to solve a mystery of why two goons are trying to whack a stray cat. Think "That Darn Cat" meets "Taken". Written by Paul Dini and directed by Lauren Montgomery (lovin' her stuff) and voiced by New England native Eliza Dushku. It clocks almost fifteen minutes long. Recommended. (thumbs u

(thumbs u Oddly enough the Catwoman short is on YouTube. And yeah, recommended. :cloud9:

(thumbs u Oddly enough the Catwoman short is on YouTube. And yeah, recommended. :cloud9:

Never saw a DC character doing a pole dance before. lol

Just finished Justice League: Doom. Although some great behind the scenes talent went into this one, it still felt empty in places, like JL: War and JLA: Trapped in Time. A pretty weak James Bond-esque climax also.

My ever-changing list of DC animated movies, so far.

1. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

2. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

3. All-Star Superman***1/2

4. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

5. Wonder Woman***

6. Son of Batman***

7. Batman: Year One***

8. Superman: Doomsday***

9. Superman Unbound***

10. Green Lantern: First Flight***

11. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

12. Justice League: Doom**

13. Justice League: War*1/2

14: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

I'm not seeing "Batman: Gotham Knight" anywhere on your list. The collected anime shorts? A couple of those stories are really good.

Anyway, your list seems spot on with the exception of 'All-Star' at #3. It's a great interpretation of the books, but as a movie it felt a bit too disjointed imho. Where one "issue" ended and another began, the story-flow felt forced and whacky. Still a good one though. (thumbs u

And if you get a chance to see the older 'Batman: SubZero' it might make your list. It's mainly a Batgirl story and very well done.

batman-mr-freeze-subzero-screenshot-1.jpg

I'm not seeing "Batman: Gotham Knight" anywhere on your list. The collected anime shorts? A couple of those stories are really good.

Anyway, your list seems spot on with the exception of 'All-Star' at #3. It's a great interpretation of the books, but as a movie it felt a bit too disjointed imho. Where one "issue" ended and another began, the story-flow felt forced and whacky. Still a good one though. (thumbs u

And if you get a chance to see the older 'Batman: SubZero' it might make your list. It's mainly a Batgirl story and very well done.

Yeah, I watched Batman: Gotham Knight 10 years ago and cannot remember it whatsoever, Mask of Phantasm either. Since last year, I have been slowly catching up with the ones I haven't seen yet, but I plan to revisit the others. You have me intrigued with Subzero now and Under The Hood will be next too. (thumbs u

Yeah, I watched Batman: Gotham Knight 10 years ago and cannot remember it whatsoever, Mask of Phantasm either. Since last year, I have been slowly catching up with the ones I haven't seen yet, but I plan to revisit the others. You have me intrigued with Subzero now and Under The Hood will be next too. (thumbs u

Don't forget Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. It's the best Batman movie of any kind ever, in my opinion. :gossip:

Great info. Created a want list from this.
Just finished the DC Showcase short "Green Arrow" on the special edition of Superman/Batman: Apocalpyse. Green Arrow has to save another kind of "queen" from assassins at an airport and she is only 10 years old. Great action as it goes all Die Harder on conveyor belts for luggage. Clocks a little over 10 minutes. Recommended. :)

I'll pass on that one at first, to read some reviews.

I'm looking forward to getting Under The Hood, Subzero and Arkham Asylum (Walmart edition) next.

If I see Return of the Joker, I'll consider that too.

I was watching some of Doomsday earlier. That moment when Lois (voiced by Anne Heche) comes up to Ma Kent's place after Superman gets killed and tells her she knew Clark was Superman and how much it felt to be loved by him was some pretty great emotional acting that is sorely missing in the live-action movies. My 2c

Co-directed by Lauren Montgomery. :baiting: