• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
25 25

9,258 posts in this topic

The Ravielli story is from Justice 47 .....................................................................

http://www.atlastales.com/issue/1486

....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks. I only have a few Atlas crime books, as the wordy Brodsky covers that dominate aren't all that compelling for me, but I should keep an eye out for interior work as well.

This was June '54...... towards the end of the Atlas era the Crime books became as good as anything they put out. I picked up one from eBay a few weeks ago on a whim...... Sale cover with every story notable. when I'm through reading it, I may send it your way if I don't forget..... GOD BLESS...

.....some of the best Atlas stories are behind the worst covers.....

Edited by jimjum12

This was June '54...... towards the end of the Atlas era the Crime books became as good as anything they put out. I picked up one from eBay a few weeks ago on a whim...... Sale cover with every story notable. when I'm through reading it, I may send it your way if I don't forget..... GOD BLESS...

.....some of the best Atlas stories are behind the worst covers.....

Love me some Atlas crime - thankfully demand is low and the books are affordable...

Agreed, the covers of crime books early on were too cluttered, with too much exposition. They became much more like the horror books towards the end of the pre-code era.

Hmm, methinks I'll have to sample some of the '54 Atlas crime fare.

You know, you can tell which splash pages come from post or pre code issues; the former are in neat block lettering, while the latter often have squiggles and such in the letters, similar to the covers of each era.

Are there any really good Atlas crime covers?

IMHO there are some better ones, but nothing on par with the best of Horror, War and Western covers. A shame as crime is my favorite genre of the GA/pre-code era and I have a fondness for Atlas books. There are some fairly cool jailbreak covers though, and I'm considering expanding my collection.

and kudos to Jimbo for another wonderful whirlwind tour

..... thanks, Pat...... much appreciated from you, the inventor of the whirlwind tour. All I've been doing is pulling scans from www.atlastales.com to share. What I really SHOULD be doing is scanning some of the splash pages that HAVEN'T been posted there yet. For that matter, any of us can do that....there are links in each listing on the site for contributors to submit scans.... and they encourage it. Half the scans on that site came from Scrooge. If we submit scans or story info, they even list our name in the listing. As for the Crime books..... I was lucky enough to have Bender's Books for an LCS and Dave had one of the most complete crime collections in the country. Ernie Gerber came to him for many of the more scarce issues for the PhotoJournals . He's still in business going on 40 years and still carries comics, pulps, paperbacks, Big Little Books and posters........ he's probably got a half million items in his warehouse. I'm glad you guys like the story scans.... just continuing the tradition begun by AtlasT and the early contributors to this thread. They were giving props to this material when it was just 30 dollar esoterica that no one else wanted.... or knew about. I think, in this day of cover-centricity, that it's important not to gloss over the wonderful material that's actually inside these gems. Don't get me wrong, Atlas cranked out some duds..... but there's plenty that's as good as anything ever published. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

I like this Severin cover a lot. I'm glad there aren't any word balloons.

TalesofJustice62x_zps0f6bec2b.jpg

Severin did do some nice post-code covers, Caught has a couple interesting ones as well.

I like this Severin cover a lot. I'm glad there aren't any word balloons.

Severin did do some nice post-code covers, Caught has a couple interesting ones as well.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Also, I agree with your previous post. I love the Crime genre and Atlas comics in general but I don't think I have any Atlas Crime book that is on my want list just because of a great cover.

I have plenty from Horror, War, Western and Romance though.