• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mego Stretch Hulk

94 posts in this topic

And six months later he gets it back because the buyer couldn't flip it for an even higher amount. Thanks in part to PayPal's (and eBay's) own outlandish Buyer Protection Policy this is also the norm. Personally I would rather pay a high end auction gallery 20% and let them vet the item and handle all issues.

Just my opinion...

Paypal's "outlandish" Buyer Protection Policy of 180 days is not a blanket catch-all. It is addressed on a case by case basis.

By a team who lacks intimate knowledge of the collectibles market and adheres to protecting the buyer, not the seller...

Just an FYI: The reason PayPal is now a separate company from eBay is due to Carl Icahn protecting the interests of his own and other shareholders. It was not done in the interests of consumers.

You suggested that a scammer could purchase the Hulk and then attempt to flip it before the 180 days ran out on his Buyer Protection Policy. That isn't the case. If a buyer attempted to do that Paypal would tell him to go pound sand. The 180 days is not applicable in all cases, it only applies where necessary. If an item is getting shipped within the US and it arrives in a timely manner, the buyer isn't going to be afforded 180 days to make up their mind on whether the item is satisfactory. The 180 days worth of Buyer Protection is largely directed to international shipments where it may take a couple of months just for the item to reach its destination.

There are some big time collectors on the mego museum website who have shelled out 10k plus for certain items (carded Iron Man).

If you drop this one on their site people are going to be on you like white on rice.

and I believe I have shelled out about as much as anyone (25K for a carded green goblin, $16K for a carded wonder woman...$60K for a kresge set, etc)...

put on ebay , or sell privately, the stretch figures are a little soft right now, but given that the white boxed version is scarcer than the red box, someone will pony up for it

Did you get that carded Green goblin from Mark Huckabone?

nope...he wanted 40K for his

Sy Winnie?

Or did you get the one that showed up on EBay that wasn't attached to the card?

And six months later he gets it back because the buyer couldn't flip it for an even higher amount. Thanks in part to PayPal's (and eBay's) own outlandish Buyer Protection Policy this is also the norm. Personally I would rather pay a high end auction gallery 20% and let them vet the item and handle all issues.

Just my opinion...

Paypal's "outlandish" Buyer Protection Policy of 180 days is not a blanket catch-all. It is addressed on a case by case basis.

By a team who lacks intimate knowledge of the collectibles market and adheres to protecting the buyer, not the seller...

Just an FYI: The reason PayPal is now a separate company from eBay is due to Carl Icahn protecting the interests of his own and other shareholders. It was not done in the interests of consumers.

You suggested that a scammer could purchase the Hulk and then attempt to flip it before the 180 days ran out on his Buyer Protection Policy. That isn't the case. If a buyer attempted to do that Paypal would tell him to go pound sand. The 180 days is not applicable in all cases, it only applies where necessary. If an item is getting shipped within the US and it arrives in a timely manner, the buyer isn't going to be afforded 180 days to make up their mind on whether the item is satisfactory. The 180 days worth of Buyer Protection is largely directed to international shipments where it may take a couple of months just for the item to reach its destination.

Incorrect. I had to accept back a $1,000+ item after I proved to PayPal that the buyer tried reselling it. The buyer claimed it wasn't as described. How is a graded item not as described?

PayPal and Ebay both represent the buyers. PayPal told me it is the buyer's right to a hassle free return.

Incorrect. I had to accept back a $1,000+ item after I proved to PayPal that the buyer tried reselling it. The buyer claimed it wasn't as described. How is a graded item not as described?

PayPal and Ebay both represent the buyers. PayPal told me it is the buyer's right to a hassle free return.

How long ago was this? How far up the chain did you go?

Peace,

Chip

Just my opinion...

I wasn't refuting the fact that a person could attempt to flip something he purchased off you and if unsuccessful could file a claim. I was refuting the fact that they could do it 5 or 6 months down the road.

Has the owner considered sending it to AFA? Then eBay may be a valid choice; even with the issues I already mentioned...

A qualified grade would cap the value, lower than the 5 figure estimates being thrown around for certain. Best case scenario, new owner picks this up in person, buys it as is, gives the owner a decent amount of money to inherit the risks, and puts it up on their shelf.

There are some big time collectors on the mego museum website who have shelled out 10k plus for certain items (carded Iron Man).

If you drop this one on their site people are going to be on you like white on rice.

and I believe I have shelled out about as much as anyone (25K for a carded green goblin, $16K for a carded wonder woman...$60K for a kresge set, etc)...

put on ebay , or sell privately, the stretch figures are a little soft right now, but given that the white boxed version is scarcer than the red box, someone will pony up for it

Sy Winnie?

Nope and nope. Was a private collector I bought from

I can't imagine there is much of a market for a $40k Mego.

you'd be surprised. There are only 4-6 know examples of a carded green goblin. Enough demand to warrant high prices

Sy Winnie?

Nope and nope. Was a private collector I bought from

Hopefully he wasn't the guy who stole one of Mark's Green Goblins...

How long ago was this? How far up the chain did you go?

Peace,

Chip

Well first, I was at the time a 'preferred' customer on PayPal and a PowerSeller on eBay doing about $10,000 a month in sales (this was when I still owned my video game resale company).

I did escalate it, but the buyer (again) has a right to a return regardless of the reason. This has only gotten worse with PayPal being spun off; not better.

Has the owner considered sending it to AFA? Then eBay may be a valid choice; even with the issues I already mentioned...

A qualified grade would cap the value, lower than the 5 figure estimates being thrown around for certain. Best case scenario, new owner picks this up in person, buys it as is, gives the owner a decent amount of money to inherit the risks, and puts it up on their shelf.

It would and I don't dispute the fact that it would lower the value. However, it would also protect the item from being manipulated in the event the buyer is dishonest and clarify the perceived grade/condition to the new owner.

Your response explains exactly why I would never list five figure plus items on eBay. Heck, I am no longer comfortable listing four figure items on eBay.

My friend Johnpaul has listed the same item being discussed in this thread in one of the larger Facebook groups. There's a bit more detail on the history of the piece as well. Thought I'd share in case anyone that followed this the first time might be interested in acquiring a truly incredible only-example Mego Stretch toy. Here is a link to the thread, and if anyone wants any help reaching Johnpaul, feel free to PM me:

image.thumb.png.ec79d5caab4dac9924457581ff50ef97.png

Edited by comicwiz