• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

So I decided today to dig out the 2 Star Wars #1's I had and on the 1st print I found a signature.

1. George Lucas?

2. Would you say it is real?

The books was in a box of 70's Marvel, The bag was very yellow and tape was brown so it's been in there a while.

16101150528_5fcbf0dde5_n.jpg

16101144598_343a5d1c73.jpg

It shouldn't be George Lucas with a dot over a letter in the last name.

Maybe he dots his A's?

:signfunny: It looks like some of his signatures that I am seeing, My theory was the dot is an error, In hand it looks more like a drag of the marker than an intentional dot.

So I decided today to dig out the 2 Star Wars #1's I had and on the 1st print I found a signature.

1. George Lucas?

The books was in a box of 70's Marvel, The bag was very yellow and tape was brown so it's been in there a while.

Looks like an old Chaykin sig to me. He has changed it over the years. He told me once that he has "improved" it (iow, easier for him to sign) by removing all the vowels. It C, some squiggles and a dot.

I can't find an example of an old Howard Chaykin auto but here is what I am looking at.

16289638682_ae878e7801_z.jpg

All of his have a clear H but they have been recent.

This could also be the very exclusive autograph of the original owner of this book!

I def agree with the cross collectable appeal of this issue....

I have a very soft spot for this book no joke! lol this set is still missing some American and foreigns but I'm getting closer everyday to completion....

StarWars1template1.jpg

StarWars1template2.jpg

closer look at the Japanese....

obi.jpg

Japanesesw1_inside.jpg

Japanesesw1_backcover.jpg

The FIlipino Alemar SW#1 is rough.... but the darn thing is super rare! It has taken me awhile to source one so I was super happy to land this one.

StarWars1_Alemar.jpg

insidecover.jpg

indicia2.jpg

starwarsalemar.jpg

pagescolor.jpg

insidebackcover.jpg

StarWars1_Alemarback.jpg

This article I wrote for my magazine has meaning in this post I think. hm The Greek SW#1 is a real beauty of a foreign. One of the tougher ones too....

FCC_issue5_StarWars15.jpg

FCC_issue5_StarWars2.jpg

Edited by Define999

1. George Lucas?

Looks like an old Chaykin sig to me. He has changed it over the years. He told me once that he has "improved" it (iow, easier for him to sign) by removing all the vowels. It C, some squiggles and a dot.

Stronguy sighting! :o

Here's a Chaykin signature from a 1983 "American Flagg" poster. Looks quite a bit like the

sig on the Star Wars #1.

chaykin.jpg

Joker--

Not that I doubted other people but that picture pretty much confirms it for me, I would say that is extremely similar.... Thank you!

It is an interesting sale. This book has really caught on fire in the past couple of years. It wasn't that long ago when this was a $300 book.

Edited by rjrjr