• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

I have a few back from Michaels. I use the method espoused by Jeffrey Jones on early comicart-l: white border and simple black frame to let the eye be drawn to the art and the art only.

This is the one I picked up tonight:

B1uGpSNCUAAJwoX.jpg

Dr. Strange - Mike Mignola

Nice piece, I would have recommend a black mat with a v groove. The white is a little distracting for this particular piece.

Thanks. I stick with this one approach, mat as close to the background white and simple black frame. I don't want anything to pull the eye from the art. The art is the star, not the mat or the frame. So if the white is distracting you may have a point, but I think it works in general. I would think the black mat would compete with the line art for visual attention.

It is an interesting discussion; no one point is right or wrong but depends on what you are going for I think.

I have a few back from Michaels. I use the method espoused by Jeffrey Jones on early comicart-l: white border and simple black frame to let the eye be drawn to the art and the art only.

B1uGpSNCUAAJwoX.jpg

Nice piece, I would have recommend a black mat with a v groove. The white is a little distracting for this particular piece.

Thanks. I stick with this one approach, mat as close to the background white and simple black frame. I don't want anything to pull the eye from the art. The art is the star, not the mat or the frame. So if the white is distracting you may have a point, but I think it works in general. I would think the black mat would compete with the line art for visual attention.

It is an interesting discussion; no one point is right or wrong but depends on what you are going for I think.

I feel like an all black matte makes the art look smaller, and all white makes it look like there's art and then a bunch of dead space. So my personal favorite at this point is a double matte with a black under-matte and white on top, it kind of "frames" the black kind of makes a nice border around the art and I feel like it makes the ink pop a bit more, w/o making the art shrink.

I have one at the framer's that I'm getting that way, should be home in another 2 weeks, can't wait!

B1uGpSNCUAAJwoX.jpg

Ummmm... :boo:

Charles Vess Elric of Melnibone

B40kNzIIUAAsCCI.jpg

B40kN1NIAAE7JwN.jpg

It is in the stairway leading to the downstairs room that houses my other framed art. I have a bunch of frames coming in from Michaels as the rates are great this holiday season. I will bring two more over tonight at least.

Hi all,

I picked this up at NYCC 2014.

HobbitFramed_zpsa97df3af.jpg

Got it directly from David Wenzel.

Hobbit-Wenzela_zps7c28d47f.jpg

Hung it on my Man Cave wall with other art and prints.

HobbitonWall_zps2ee9a84c.jpg

Had the comics signed by David and CGC Signature Series graded.

Eclipse-Hobbit1-3set_zps1c7973da.jpg

What a memorable experience for me to document along the way.

Thanks for looking.

James

I was under a mistaken impression about minimum borders on the matting at Michaels, but when I learned the real rules I got some smaller pieces done. I had a nice wall of Dr. Strange already done, but I moved the main piece slightly to accommodate 3 new additions. Check out the color now on the wall I call The Frames of The Faltine!

B5Gv3mUCEAA8X0y.jpg

ahhh,crappy image... Mitchell Bretweiser Doc on top and Cleas by Anna Merli and Alphonso Azpiri on the bottom

B5GxTPFCUAIzeLB.jpg

B5GxTKwCAAAI9rU.jpg

B5GxTLtCEAElCC_.jpg

Edited by Bird

Apologies for the weird angle of the pic (trying to minimize glare, as I couldn't stump-up for museum glass). Finally got my Alex Schomburg print framed .. its only been 30 years and several house moves) I couldn't make up my mind about the frame, so I went with the Framer's expert eye .. he went for Red, as it's the dominant colour .. Great choice, methinks ..

2014-12-21113759_zps0dc08b0e.jpg

Finally hung up a bunch of stuff in my office

Jack Skellington commission by Menton Matthews III (Menton3)

20150101_173409_zpsoznzdfyn.jpg

Monocyte commission by Menton3

20150101_173313_zpsbaeof3wx.jpg

Menton3 Wall

20150101_173145_zpswzaztltl.jpg

Ben Templesmith stuff and a Joker I have honestly forgot who inked at NYCC for me :)

20150101_173132_zpsepcg1ld5.jpg

The Crow by James O'Barr and Wolverine by Bob Layton

20150101_173122_zpsigu9s4pe.jpg

Spider-Man print 5/10 signed by Stan Lee and the Crow again

20150101_173107_zps8co1wtux.jpg

Disney Stuff

20150101_173432_zpsupwxoegf.jpg