• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing experiment #50020021
6 6

244 posts in this topic

sacred comics? blasphemy? lol... Its a comic book dude, not a bible.

I'd have no problem pressing a bible if I could squeeze a 0.5 out of it.

:jokealert:

I agree, the Avengers square bound looks like an improvement. Did you notice any loss of gloss or color at all?

I noticed the opposite since I started the use of Mylar instead of SRP. If you go back to the 1st one I did you can see a dramatic difference in shine. It was so shiny one boardy called it un-natural. Now that I am using cooler temps its not as dramatic but still comes out with a nice natural shine to it. If you go too hot you can lose color.

Methinks the technical term for what you're doing with using Mylar to " add shine" is called "REGLOSSING" i.e. RESTORATION.

I'd suggest using parchment paper.If the books you "add shine" to are submitted, you'll end up with Restored labels as what you are doing is chemical transfer.

Edit:

Didn't mean that in a dickheaded tone, just wanted to clarify that.

Edited by CopperAgeKids

I agree, the Avengers square bound looks like an improvement. Did you notice any loss of gloss or color at all?

I noticed the opposite since I started the use of Mylar instead of SRP. If you go back to the 1st one I did you can see a dramatic difference in shine. It was so shiny one boardy called it un-natural. Now that I am using cooler temps its not as dramatic but still comes out with a nice natural shine to it. If you go too hot you can lose color.

Methinks the technical term for what you're doing with using Mylar to " add shine" is called "REGLOSSING" i.e. RESTORATION.

I'd suggest using parchment paper.If the books you "add shine" to are submitted, you'll end up with Restored labels as what you are doing is chemical transfer.

Edit:

I sure hope he already learned that sometime in the last 5 years.

Edit:

I sure hope he already learned that sometime in the last 5 years.

Ah, I hadn't noticed this thread was that old.

Hello, I'm new to this site. I have been collecting comics for about 35 years purely as a hobbyist (reading and enjoying the artwork) and just recently started to buy and sell for investment and to pay for my kids college funds. I have learned about comic book pressing though the many sites I have begun to visit. (I never knew this existed until about 2 years ago)

I have begun trying to learn the pressing process solely for my personal collection. I have about 64 long boxes full of comics that will need some pressing here and there to achieve higher grades and maximize my selling profits. (of course the more valuable books I will send to professionals)

I have an amateur pressing set-up; a t-shirt press, a humidity chamber, foam board, gum erasers, etc... and have been pleased with my results overall, but the thing I still cannot solve are spine ticks/spine creases. Can someone please give me some help in getting these out of my books? I have tried using a bone creasing tool to slightly rub the crease out after taking the book out of the humidity chamber and before pressing the book, but no luck. I have tried increasing the pressure, but do not want to press to much and have a "Too Flat Book" Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Taco shells. The market is full of taco shells. The ones that look great face-up but have a gigantic color-breaking crease running the length of the spine. You have to start somewhere so I can see people experimenting... But I would go buy several dozen dollar binners and learn using those. Never anything out of my personal collection.

Hello, I'm new to this site. I have been collecting comics for about 35 years purely as a hobbyist (reading and enjoying the artwork) and just recently started to buy and sell for investment and to pay for my kids college funds. I have learned about comic book pressing though the many sites I have begun to visit. (I never knew this existed until about 2 years ago)

I have begun trying to learn the pressing process solely for my personal collection. I have about 64 long boxes full of comics that will need some pressing here and there to achieve higher grades and maximize my selling profits. (of course the more valuable books I will send to professionals)

I have an amateur pressing set-up; a t-shirt press, a humidity chamber, foam board, gum erasers, etc... and have been pleased with my results overall, but the thing I still cannot solve are spine ticks/spine creases. Can someone please give me some help in getting these out of my books? I have tried using a bone creasing tool to slightly rub the crease out after taking the book out of the humidity chamber and before pressing the book, but no luck. I have tried increasing the pressure, but do not want to press to much and have a "Too Flat Book" Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

What purpose does the foam board provide?

Jim

I have used the foam board in several ways. I placed a piece of foam board under my comic in the press to provide more stability/rigidity than the foam pad offers. Also, if a comic only needs a very light pressing, I have used two sheets of foam board to press/cool my comic over night after coming out of my heat press (with a small stack of books on top to provide light pressure) This way I don't tie up my heat press and can press another comic. Normally, I press the comic with heat for several minutes, then turn the heat off leaving the comic in the press to cool with pressure over night.

Great, another amateur presser putting his experiments into the marketplace.

Did he say he was selling the books?

Yes. Or are you interpreting 'maximizing my selling profits' differently than I am ?

I have about 64 long boxes full of comics that will need some pressing here and there to achieve higher grades and maximize my selling profits.