• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know how to accurately identify an original Warren Eerie #1?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I'm sure it has been discussed in the past, though I'm too lazy and feeble to search.

What are the notable differences between a true original Eerie 1 and a copy?

(Actually I should probably ask this in the magazine forum...two threads!)

Edited by MrBedrock

Richard

I pulled this from Lonestar's site. And I don't have my copy handy but I think there was something in the Warren Companion book. It seems like the blue striped staples was the key difference but I've owned neither and am no expert.

FIRST PRINTING - B & W, 5 1/4" wide x 7 1/4 high, evenly trimmed. On page 18, panel 5, in the upper-left hand corner, the large rear view of a bald headed man blends into solid black and is unrecongnizable. Overall printing quality is poor. The SECOND PRINTING is also B & W, 5 1/4" wide x 7 1/4" high, with uneven, untrimmed edges (if one of these were trimmed evenly, the size would be less than indicated). The figure of the bald headed man on page 18, panel 5 is clear and discernable. The staples have a 1/4" blue stripe.

Second printing. B & W, 5 1/4" wide x 7 1/4" high, with uneven, untrimmed edges (if one of these were trimmed evenly, the size would be less than indicated). The figure of the bald headed man on page 18, panel 5 is clear and discernable. The staples have a 1/4" blue stripe. The fabled Eerie ashcan edition is technically the first issue of the magazine. It was released in a hurry to prevent Eerie Publications from using the title of Warren's second horror magazine. Two-hundred copies were printed, but never distributed through traditional means (though some made their way to newsstands).

Thanks so much. If that is all correct then I apparently have a first print. I take it that CGC does not encapsulate these as there are none on the census.

Can we see your copy?

I haven't scanned it. It belongs to a customer who asked for help in identifying exactly what it is. After reading some of the links I am now more confused. At this time, with no back story on its history, I guess it could either be a first or a counterfeit.

Good info, I remember seeing a post here years ago with the above information including side by side photo examples but cannot seem to find it.

Here's the old thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5458432&fpart=1

Thanks but that's not the one I remember seeing. The one I'm thinking of had cropped individual panel shots of an original side by side with a counterfeit showing the differences.

Whoops EDIT: that is the thread. Just a lot of the links are missing and I didn't recognize it at first. :foryou:

Edited by Jayman

Richard, I bought a copy off Heritage in 2007. It has all the "original, first printing" elements. I still have it.

I've seen tons of these things over the years and their are originals, good counterfeits and bad counterfeits.

The only copies I have great confidence in identifying are the bad counterfeits... lol:makepoint: