• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

This book has been lingering on ebay for months. The seller is vehemently opposed to slabbed and graded books (I guess we should just take his word for it on a book's grade and extent of restoration). I actually thought about buying this thing, seller states restoration does not affect artwork, but unless my eyes deceive me, I am seeing all kinds of colour touch in many of the red areas on the cover, namely, Cap's punching glove, in the Nazi sign behind the two guys shooting at him in the back, Hitler's tie, half the bubble Bucky is in, and the second red bar behind the main title, etc. Not only that, but the staples looked cleaned and/or replaced. I think this particular seller buys restored books, breaks them out, and then sells them at 80-100% of unrestored prices.

Or am I completely off base with what I think I'm seeing? (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-1-1941-CLASSIC-HITLER-COVER-/111436273604?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19f21e97c4

-J.

Richie is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I've never heard of him doing anything like this and would be very much surprised if he did.

I've bought a number of books from him over the years and haven't had any problems. So far as I can tell, he always discloses everything about the books he sells.

Do most of those reds not looked colour touched to you then? (shrug)

-J.

There does seem to be some red color touch in the scan. You could call him or ask him a question via eBay.

im sure Richie means foreground art, not background...meaning the characters, etc... it is obvious some of the red background has c/t

I'm torn on dealing with Richie, I had an AF15 that I purchased raw at WW Chicago come back as conserved (staples replaced) from CGC. While I did get my money back, he was adamant that the book had no conservation and he has relisted it as such on his Ebay page. Secondly, he over grades a great deal. While I can't say I'd not do business with him in the future, I do have my reservations about any book he lists.

I've bought many books from Rich. But, to me, that Cap 1 is a mess.

+1

That's why I think it's not in a slab. It would take a paragraph to fully describe all that was done to that book. The seller's description and disclosure leaves A LOT to be desired IMO.

-J.

+1

That's why I think it's not in a slab. It would take a paragraph to fully describe all that was done to that book. The seller's description and disclosure leaves A LOT to be desired IMO.

-J.

That's not why it's not in a slab. Richie just doesn't slab books.

+1

-J.

That's not why it's not in a slab. Richie just doesn't slab books.

Right. If you look on his site, I'm pretty sure there aren't any. The only slabs I've ever seen him with are ones he received in trades.

I know this is a long shot but here goes!

I am looking for the owner of Captain America Comics # 1 CGC 8.0.

I do not know the CGC serial number of the book but the book does have the letter "B" pencilled in the M in America.

Here is a (small) picture of the book raw.

2n0izhh.jpg

Thanks.

Bumping my own post!

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask this question, but now that the Captain America #1 cover has been confirmed as authentic and unrestored, and is attractively sealed in a CGC case, what is it likely to be worth in a high-visibility auction?

I'd guess not much more than it went for on eBay. I'd say it tops out at 10k

I'd think it would go for more now that it is certified as a complete and un-restored cover by CGC. That would bring in additional and more confident buyers. I'd put it closer to $15k now. The buyer of it did well.

-J.