• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

I have the Gold edition of MiracleMan #1. Signed by Alan Moore at the 1985 San Diego Comic Con. Is this the same comic that's worth $1500 that someone posted earlier in this thread???

It's basically the exact same issue as the regular #1 except it has Moore's autograph. The certificate is not bound together with the book, it is seperate.

I had no idea this was such an in-demand item.

Can someone fill me in on the other rare editions? I'm not aware of all of them.

Thanks!

You are correct about the Gold Variant. The Moore sig and certificate are the only difference from the regular edition. Can't recall who, but there is another sig on there as well; one of the Eclipse honcho's. I don't think it's Cat Y. though.

Other Rare Editions:

The "Blue Variant" - same as Gold, but more copies. I think this one only has the Moore sig.

3D Special (2D Version) - this was printed by Eclipse at the same time as the 3D version. I have only been able to verify the existance of 1 copy (the MSU Library copy), but more have to be out there. Probably unkown to the owner as it looks exactly the same as the regular edition. There was one on eBay a few years back, so I guess that makes 2 actual known copies.

The Gold variant has Alan Moore's, Cat Yronwode's and Dean Mullaney's signatures and is numbered with a yellow certificate. There were 400 and all had the wrinkle on the cover on the upper right side.

The Blue variant has only Cat and Dean's signatures and no numbering. There were 600 printed and all had the same wrinkle as the Gold edition and many of the regular Miracleman 1s.

According to what Beau Smith told me about four years ago, there were only a few hundred of the 2D version printed up. He said there may have been only about 200, because he remembered that there were very few of them.

I saw one sell for more than $400 a few years ago on eBay. But, that's the only one I've ever seen for sale. I know Eclipse ran ads for them for a long time in the backs on their comics.

The Miraclemans being sold today as Gold editions are NOT true Gold editions. They are from a warehouse stock owned by Cat Yronwode that was bought by New Dimension Comics (I believe that's the company). They had Totleben make a new Miracleman drawing, which they made into a stamp and have been stamping the warehouse copies with it and selling them for big bucks as Gold editions.

The only true Gold edition is the one sold BY ECLIPSE when the first issue was released. Don't be fooled by the later "gold" editions. THEY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED BY ECLIPSE NOR WERE THEY CREATED BY ECLIPSE.

The Gold variant has Alan Moore's, Cat Yronwode's and Dean Mullaney's signatures and is numbered with a yellow certificate. There were 400 and all had the wrinkle on the cover on the upper right side.

The Blue variant has only Cat and Dean's signatures and no numbering. There were 600 printed and all had the same wrinkle as the Gold edition and many of the regular Miracleman 1s.

I knew I had the sigs mixed up a bit. Thanks for clarifying.

According to what Beau Smith told me about four years ago, there were only a few hundred of the 2D version printed up. He said there may have been only about 200, because he remembered that there were very few of them.

During my search, I did contact Beau Smith. He said a similar thing, but did not have specifics as to print run. I attempted to contact Cat (per his suggestion), but she did not respond to me. frown.gif

I saw one sell for more than $400 a few years ago on eBay. But, that's the only one I've ever seen for sale. I know Eclipse ran ads for them for a long time in the backs on their comics.

I believe that is the copy I was referring to. Sadly, no one I know had saved that auction. I would love to send that info to Tom Gordon if someone has it.

The Miraclemans being sold today as Gold editions are NOT true Gold editions. They are from a warehouse stock owned by Cat Yronwode that was bought by New Dimension Comics (I believe that's the company). They had Totleben make a new Miracleman drawing, which they made into a stamp and have been stamping the warehouse copies with it and selling them for big bucks as Gold editions.

The only true Gold edition is the one sold BY ECLIPSE when the first issue was released. Don't be fooled by the later "gold" editions. THEY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED BY ECLIPSE NOR WERE THEY CREATED BY ECLIPSE.

Are these the different from the issues I've seen that are called the "Eclipse Archive Editions"? I know you say they were not authorized by Eclipse, so there is that conflict. I've seen issues as high as #23 with the gold-stamped Totlebon sketch that are called "Archive Editions".

Thanks in advance. thumbsup2.gif

I knew I had the sigs mixed up a bit. Thanks for clarifying.

During my search, I did contact Beau Smith. He said a similar thing, but did not have specifics as to print run. I attempted to contact Cat (per his suggestion), but she did not respond to me. frown.gif

I believe that is the copy I was referring to. Sadly, no one I know had saved that auction. I would love to send that info to Tom Gordon if someone has it.

Are these the different from the issues I've seen that are called the "Eclipse Archive Editions"? I know you say they were not authorized by Eclipse, so there is that conflict. I've seen issues as high as #23 with the gold-stamped Totlebon sketch that are called "Archive Editions".

Thanks in advance. thumbsup2.gif

So, they're calling them Archive Editions now? Wow, how quickly they've changed gears since I spoke with them a couple of years ago. I wanted to do a story on them for CBG, but I lost interest in them when they continued to churn out Gold edition after Gold edition and the prices were around $79-$99 per copy. I spoke with the company producing them and told them they weren't the real deal, but that didn't matter.

I called Cat and she wouldn't even return my calls. She ran a tantric sex web site or something and there was a phone number. I might be mistaken as to the subject matter of the site, but it was something weird.

She's the one who sold the company mentioned above the warehouse stock that's being turned into Archive Editions.

I have only been able to verify the existance of 1 copy (the MSU Library copy), but more have to be out there.

You should just drive down there and steal it. 27_laughing.gif

Book is in the MSU Private Collection and is not for loan. I've already checked that out. wink.gif

I have only been able to verify the existance of 1 copy (the MSU Library copy), but more have to be out there.

Book is in the MSU Private Collection and is not for loan. I've already checked that out. wink.gif

In that case just bring a regular 3D issue with you and make da switch! gossip.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

In that case just bring a regular 3D issue with you and make da switch! gossip.gif

That's actually not such a bad idea! grin.gif

The 2D/3D one I remember went for about $150 on ebay back in the Autumn of 2002 - so this is may be a different copy? I recall it as it was just the time I was beginning to re-enter collecting - at the end of the description said very casually something like... "this is the non-3D version"... it was sold in the US to a US customer - I recall this because I emailed you Mike to say I couldn't bid-on it - as he was selling to US only.

There must be copies in the UK too - as the UK price-guides list it as being "scarce" - bet Dez Skinn has one.

but this is the no.1 MM rarity! $500 from me if anyone has one! 893whatthe.gif

No MM chatter for a while... so I thought I'd bump this thread up...

Anyone see the MM original art on ebay recently...?

MM no.11 page 1

Sold for $3,650 !

Additionally, I sold one of my pet favourite books recently that I'd had graded by CGC...

A1 Sketchbook MM Variant

Sold for well over $200 ! 893whatthe.gif

Amazing for a year old book which was bought for $10.

But my spiel is sincere - this was a really over-looked book.

Thanks for the heads up on the A1 Sketchbook! thumbsup2.gif

In your auction you said they were limited to 500...any other info you can add about the book? Do all 500 have MM on the front and KMM on the back? How far under the radar is this book?

Quick Story...

A few years ago, one of the guys that I worked with at 'the comic shop' traded me a high grade run of MM 1-17 for my old Playstation (the original one)...just pulled them out to look at them again. Don't know if I can ever grade them, love them to much cloud9.gif

I would say it's so far under the radar it's not being picked up at all. Though my auction proven there's some interest growing. Perhaps I should email CBG or Wizard.

Reasons being:

Published by a UK not US publisher; Atomeka - (owned in part by Garry Leach; who was the original MM artist).

Completely un-promoted due to the copyright issues with MM. Was in Previews one month only.

Never advertised as a Miracleman book.

It came in two versions, one featuring the Warpsmiths which was limited to 3,333 copies and two, the MM variant which was limited to 500 - all with MM & KM.

A1 isn't in the guide either. But an earlier incaranation, "A1 no.1" features a Warpsmith story in the Alan Moore MM continuity.

Very cool Ewan!

I have been picking up some copies at a really really really low price of the MM Variant of the sketchbook.

I also came across an auction a couple of weeks ago when I was searching Ebay for MM stuff. It was listed as everything under the sun, Miracleman McFarlane Bowen Gaiman etc. I looked and to my suprise, both MM statues for $65 with free shipping! I only wanted the Bowen, so am going to move the McFarlane at a reasonable price (plus I used my 10% off coupon, dumbing down the price even more).

MM Bowen statue is now proudly displayed in 'the comic room'!

I would say it's so far under the radar it's not being picked up at all. Though my auction proven there's some interest growing. Perhaps I should email CBG or Wizard.

Reasons being:

Published by a UK not US publisher; Atomeka - (owned in part by Garry Leach; who was the original MM artist).

Completely un-promoted due to the copyright issues with MM. Was in Previews one month only.

Never advertised as a Miracleman book.

It came in two versions, one featuring the Warpsmiths which was limited to 3,333 copies and two, the MM variant which was limited to 500 - all with MM & KM.

A1 isn't in the guide either. But an earlier incaranation, "A1 no.1" features a Warpsmith story in the Alan Moore MM continuity.

Is there any Miracleman content in the actual sketchbook or is it just on the variant covers? Thanks! - Keith

I recall there's 3 or 4 full page pin-ups inside featuring MM or MM characters - one has art by Garry Leach - but I'd have to check. It's a great book.

Another nice item is this MM semi-original foreign cover -

1e_1_b.JPG

it's small but challenging series to collect

Kermit,

raw you can get them for less than $10 on ebay - though it depends completely on how the seller markets them - try searching on "A1" (in comics) rather than "Miracleman" - there's some for sale now in the ebay stores

a signed one sold here

ebay

Additionally, Mile High still have some in stock last time I looked at cover price

buy now!

Kermit,

raw you can get them for less than $10 on ebay - though it depends completely on how the seller markets them - try searching on "A1" (in comics) rather than "Miracleman" - there's some for sale now in the ebay stores

a signed one sold here

ebay

Additionally, Mile High still have some in stock last time I looked at cover price

buy now!

I've gotta get me one of these smile.gif.

I have bought 3 of them in the last 2 weeks on ebay

It does have original MM content and a great Leach MM cover and KM back cover. I bought one from Mile High Signed NM by Leach for $4.50 last week (happy happy joy joy). It seems you can find signed copies by Leach much easier than the unsigned versions.