• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

I am sick of hearing about how great this series is and not having read it. I don't want to shell out $150+ for the issues though. Is there any inexpensive way to read the run? I think the original trades are rare and go for a lot as well. Are there later, cheaper printings of the TPBs?

When all the law suit [embarrasing lack of self control] ends they will all be reprinted, save your money until then. My suggestion is buy a couple of the cheaper issues and read first, then decide if you like it enough to spend big$. The writing and art is a little different ( not for everyone). I liked it, but certainly wouldn't shell out the prices the trades go for. You can buy most issues except 15-16 for fairly cheap prices.

If you dont want to go the e-book route, I would simply suggest buying an average condition run off ebay for $200 or whatever it goes for these days. Read it and then sell it on ebay again. Worst case scenario you'll lose $20 or so. Ya might even make a little money.

If you dont want to go the e-book route, I would simply suggest buying an average condition run off ebay for $200 or whatever it goes for these days. Read it and then sell it on ebay again. Worst case scenario you'll lose $20 or so. Ya might even make a little money.

That's a good point. I might just do the quick read and flip. The problem is, if I end up liking the series as much as I think I will, I will want to keep them. foreheadslap.gif

That's a good point. I might just do the quick read and flip. The problem is, if I end up liking the series as much as I think I will, I will want to keep them. foreheadslap.gif

Quit draggin' your feet already and pony up! sumo.gif

One of the few series that is actually "worth it". cool.gif

I know, I know! I think we talked about this series like 6 months ago and I still haven't picked it up. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I know, I know! I think we talked about this series like 6 months ago and I still haven't picked it up. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Funny thing, I did this about 6-7 months ago...ponyed up and won a MM set 1-20 (VF-NM) for about $90 as I recall, then spent around $50 more getting the last four issues! crazy.gif

But...

It IS a great series and is now part of the permanent Jayman collection! thumbsup2.gif

You will likey!

Got any Warrior Mags for sale, Chris?

I did the bittorrent thing, but now I'm going back and getting the issues. I imagine it would be hard series to read once and sell.

Does anybody remember that crazy rumor that Marvel's Sentry was really Miracleman and they were waiting for the legal stuff to settle before they would reveal it?

Got any Warrior Mags for sale, Chris?

Nope, sorry. I have my set, but no doubles. Check w/ Flying Donut. He got me started and may have some left. Also, I finished my run buying some very nice copies from Joe Koch (I forget his eBay name), "The Avalanche of Wonder". You know the guy. Nice VF/NM copies for about $5/each.

Does anybody remember that crazy rumor that Marvel's Sentry was really Miracleman and they were waiting for the legal stuff to settle before they would reveal it?

I wouldn't doubt it. JMS ripped so much stuff directly from MM for Supreme Power anyway. They might as well be the same person. sumo.gif

What I'm shocked at is how much my Gaiman set is already getting on ebay. Selling 17-24 (nice grades) and already near $250?? I wasn't expecting half that. Has the series been hot lately or something?

I think everything 80s is hot right now, and will remain so until we kids of the 80s grow out of our mid-life crisis. And, most of us are only in our 30s right now, so we're talking 10-20 years. I'd expect prices on most 80s items, including original art, to continue to grow. MM is a classic example from the 80s, and the lack of reprinting adds to the already high appeal (early/first Alan Moore, excellent art, controversial stories, "adult" content, etc.).

What I'm shocked at is how much my Gaiman set is already getting on ebay. Selling 17-24 (nice grades) and already near $250?? I wasn't expecting half that. Has the series been hot lately or something?

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Is that raw?

I know - am quite pleased so far.

This was actually a set I "found" - someone was selling 650 modern comics and I just happened to notice it contained a Miracleman run buried in the description in addition to loads of other stuff. Nice copies too.

I'd never sell MY own original owner set. I remember buying Miracleman 1 for 60p back in 1985 at age 13 - in fact, it's probably more or less 20 years ago to the day since MM 1 was released (August 1985 cover date). It was my first "real" comic that I bought as a collector rather than a child if you can appreciate the distinction.

I'm now putting together a CGC 9.6 and above collection of all the series. As well as all the fanzine appearances, promo's and impossible variants as we well know!

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Is that raw?

yep, ended at 260, all books raw. Dickameoba bid on my set as well so that bodes well for you Ewan. Buyer hasn't paid yet though, which is a little worrying although it hasn't been too too long yet.

Edited by Bronty