• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ghost in the Shell

84 posts in this topic

I agree that there are actresses better suited for the role. But at least with a name like ScarJo's attached, it'll get a realistic budget - and hopefully not be a complete ratchet mess.

I'd rather have the option of loving it or hating it when it comes out than no option at all.

They made the easy choice. She'll be good in the role but probably not iconic. Which is too bad because Motoko and the Ghost in the Shell material deserves a movie that is close to Blade Runner level.

I agree.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling we'll end up with something closer to Aeon Flux or Ultraviolet

Scarlett Johansson's Ghost In The Shell Casts Pilou Asbaek As Batou

DreamWorks has cast Danish actor Pilou Asbæk as Batou in Ghost in the Shell, costarring with Scarlett Johansson as Major Motoko Kusanagi, Variety reports.

Base on Masmune Shirow’s original manga and the classic 1995 animated film adaptation, Ghost in the Shell follows Section 9, the cyberterrorism arm of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission, in a cyberpunk future where nearly all humans have at least some amount of cybernetic implants.

batou-ghost-in-the-shell-158688.jpg

I am going to watch the advance preview of Ghost in the Shell: the new (animated) movie Nov. 12, 2015 with English sub-titles. LCS was giving out free tix to their subscriber/customers. Think it came out in Japan Sept, 2015? About 1 hr, 25 minutes long.

Beat Takeshi Cast In Live-Action Ghost In The Shell

ghost-in-the-shell-172722.jpg

Beat Takeshi (a.k.a. Takeshi Kitano) has been cast in DreamWorks and Paramount’s live action adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. The Japanese actor, director, and comedian will play Daisuke Aramaki, the head of Section 9.

Takeshi told Japanese outlet Cinema Today that he was not a fan of either anime or manga, but felt the character of Aramaki “gave off a unique presence,” and that he was interesting in seeing what kind of film the adaptation turned out to be.

The last time Takeshi worked in Hollywood was on the 1995 Keanu Reeves film Johnny Mnemonic.

I remember him from Johnny Mnemonic. That was a decent movie, loaded with Cyberpunk goodness.

I've made my opinion known before when this was just rumor so I wan't repeat it. I'll just say I'm not surprised by this.

Best in Hollywood. Will put other asses in seats

First Look At Scarlett Johansson In GHOST IN THE SHELL As Paramount Announces Start of Production

CgAKLNXUAAAH9Tl.jpg

As shooting commences on Paramount's live-action Ghost In The Shell movie, we've been provided with our very first glimpse of Captain America: Civil War's Scarlett Johansson as main character, Major Motoko Kusanagi - or simply, The Major as she's referred to in the official synopsis

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “GHOST IN THE SHELL” follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’s advancements in cyber technology.

Dang! I got excited when I saw her picture as part of the article thinking she was going to be in Wolverine 3.

The Wolverine's Rila Fukushima Cast In Scarlett Johansson's Ghost In The Shell

rita-fukushima-183881.jpg

Rila Fukushima has joined the cast of DreamWork Pictures’s and Scarlett Johansson’s upcoming live action adaptation of Ghost in the Shell.

Originally created by Masamune Shirow as a manga, the cyberpunk story of Ghost in the Shell follows Major Motoko Kusanagi (Johansson), the cyborg leader of Section 9, an elite government task force that monitors and fights cybercrime and cyberterrorism in a future where almost all humans have some sort of hackable cybernetic enhancement. Kusanagi’s own body is entirely artificial.

Ghost in the Shell has been adapted into several animated films and series, including the classic 1995 cyberpunk anime film and the critically-acclaimed 2002-2003 series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.