• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emotionally Stimulating Modern Series List

84 posts in this topic

Welcome :hi:

This thread was created in hopes of discovering series that others may have found to be very emotionally stimulating to recommend to others. Below are two lists. The first list is compiled of books that have been recommended by three or more individuals. This is not to take away from any of the other recommendations made within the thread. It is merely to highlight the most recommended books. The second list is the remaining series that have been suggested.

Enjoy! (thumbs u

Most recommended

1) I Kill Giants

2) The Walking Dead

3) Y the Last Man

4) Strangers in Paradise

5) Pride of Baghdad

6) Ex Machina

Recommended

1) Saga

2) Preacher

3) Sweet Tooth

4) Queen and Country

5) Locke and Key

6) Seconds

7) V for Vendetta

8) Watchmen

9) 100 Bullets

10) Sandman

11) Fables

12) Gotham Central

13) Scalped

14) Proof

15) Invincible

16) Stray Bullets

17) The Wake

18) The Essex County Trilogy

19) Southern Bastards

20) Lucifer

21) The Escapists

22) Maus

23) Ronin

24) Transmetropolitan

25) Strange Attractors

26) Li'l Depressed Boy

27) Hitman

28) OGN Last Days of an Immortal

Small Print:

For time and space saving, arcs will not be included within the lists but are always welcome to be suggested within the thread.

The second list will be used primarily as a judge of how highly the series is recommended. It will not stay around forever as it would grow extensively.

If you want a fun mainstream read and like seeing long held characters torn down a bit, check out the Sins of the Past arc in ASM #508-515. It is great fun if you are not a diehard Spidey fanboy. (thumbs u

Thank you kimik,

I was drawn to books like Groo and G.I. Joe as a kid and never really got heavy into the super hero genre outside of Batman. It is an appealing pitch though, so I will check it out and cross my fingers I don't turn into a ASM completist.

Death of Jean De Wolfe PP 107-110

Exiles 25-28 Inhuman Arc "Massada"

Walking Dead is brilliant at this at least for the first 50 issues.

Jurgens Thor V2 Run from around 40-80. He takes a different look at the God complex thing for normal humans.

Old Man Logan Storyline Wolverine 66-72

Sandman

V for Vendetta (I actually liked the film better)

Watchmen

Stormwatch 37-50 which leads to Stormwatch Vol. 2, 1-11 and Wildcats/Alens.

That will take you to The Authority Vol. 1, 1-29. The storyline was as raw as anything you'll ever read. You'll care about what happens to the characters and you'll read it over and over hoping for a different outcome for many of the heroes.

I Kill Giants

Pride of Baghdad

Scalped

PROOF

Aside from Saga, Invincible, TWD and Y the Last Man, these are all series I'll re-read often as they have some emotional impact on me.

Edited by 400yrs