• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,873 posts in this topic

What would the most valuable Canadian Newsstand cover price variant be? Is it Swamp Thing #37 (1st Constantine)? Or, ASM #238 (1st Hobgoblin)? I can't think of any more significant price variants off the top of my head. ASM #252 or Secret Wars #8 are significant as well, but more plentiful than the other two.

Spidey #238 75 cents is the clear winner (for the moment.)

I almost wishbone hadn't read my copy 238 times...Almost... :cloud9:

What would the most valuable Canadian Newsstand cover price variant be? Is it Swamp Thing #37 (1st Constantine)? Or, ASM #238 (1st Hobgoblin)? I can't think of any more significant price variants off the top of my head. ASM #252 or Secret Wars #8 are significant as well, but more plentiful than the other two.

I don't know about that - a Swamp Thing 37 95 center would do extremely well in this market right now, as would a 75 cent New Teen Titans 2.

Yeah, ST #37 makes a pretty fair answer, but there is no 75 cent NTT #2. The Canadian versions didn't come about (for DC) until 1982.

doh! I knew that. I meant 44. There is a sexy 15p NTT 2.

I don't know about that - a Swamp Thing 37 95 center would do extremely well in this market right now, as would a 75 cent New Teen Titans 2.

Yeah, ST #37 makes a pretty fair answer, but there is no 75 cent NTT #2. The Canadian versions didn't come about (for DC) until 1982.

doh! I knew that. I meant 44. There is a sexy 15p NTT 2.

A couple of 9.8 95 cent NTT #44 have sold...not for near as much as the Spidey #238.

The copy from the collection I picked up the other newsstand variants in was a stinking direct edition...... :tonofbricks:

How dreadful. However did you manage...?

;)

I know. I had to settle for buying that POS 9.0 I posted to ensure I had a decent CDN newsstand copy.

FWIW, the direct edition only came back as a 9.6 so it is just as well it was not a CDN variant.......

The Return of the Jedi Canadian Price Variants can bring a decent premium in

high grade ( ie. 9.2 to 9.8 )

The problem with the poly-bagged copies is that they are generally not better

than true VF/NM. The bags hide a lot of damage and they were never stored correctly. The are neat as they are in original presentation but mostly as a curiosity.

In the bag there is no premium as it's too tough to accurately grade them but single high grade issues can bring 25% premium in 9.2 to 200% to 400% premium in 9.8.

Due to the upcoming Star Wars movies, I've been selling any Star Wars book at 100% to 1000% premium whether it's Canadian Price Variant, Direct Edition or Newsstand copies.

Received another Canadian Newsstand Swamp Thing #37 back from CGC this week. zzz

cgcSwampThing37CdnB_zpsf65561c0.jpg

Why is it not noted on the CGC label as a Canadian Price V*****? They should have noted that, right?

CGC miss the Canadian Price Variants more often than not.

I have to be diligent about staying on top of submissions and even when they are told they will still not adjust the label notation correctly.

It's frustrating for a couple of reasons.

1) It misrepresents the real census data

2) CGC always mislabels them as "Canadian Edition" when these circa 80's books should be truly labeled as "Canadian Price Variant".

Received another Canadian Newsstand Swamp Thing #37 back from CGC this week. zzz

cgcSwampThing37CdnB_zpsf65561c0.jpg

Why is it not noted on the CGC label as a Canadian Price V*****? They should have noted that, right?

CGC miss the Canadian Price Variants more often than not.

I have to be diligent about staying on top of submissions and even when they are told they will still not adjust the label notation correctly.

It's frustrating for a couple of reasons.

1) It misrepresents the real census data

2) CGC always mislabels them as "Canadian Edition" when these circa 80's books should be truly labeled as "Canadian Price Variant".

I agree with you 100%. I checked the census for issue 37, and they do have a Canadian Edition slot with a single graded 9.0. There should obviously be 2 (if not more) in that spot now. I wonder if this copy was sent back to them, if they would correct the label and census.

I have the complete Moore Swamp Thing run in CGC 9.8 or better (minus 3 issues), and have expressed interest in 9.0 or better Canadian Price Variants to further my high grade run (addiction) Haha. My OCD would need it noted on the label, so it would be available for another slot. (With an update to the registry set to include Canadian Editions)

I agree with you 100%. I checked the census for issue 37, and they do have a Canadian Edition slot with a single graded 9.0. There should obviously be 2 (if not more) in that spot now. I wonder if this copy was sent back to them, if they would correct the label and census.

Here is what the other 9.0 looks like....... :whistle:

cgcSwampThing37ACDN_zps0a920153.jpg

Edited by kimik