• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I think I picked up the last Duck story in the 300s in a haphazard sort of way. There might be another Four Color missing with Donald but the main ones are in the box.

15653542606_bfe2a5ed7a_c.jpg

15678856252_13f31523e2_c.jpg

15492066567_c256df7c8a_c.jpg

15504596999_0a02b46510_c.jpg

I've never picked up the non-Barks books from this time period. Maybe someday but so much else to pick up first.

I added the other FC 300 issues to the pic. A lot of non-Barks material was included when I purchased Disney lots. It is fun stuff too.

I think I picked up the last Duck story in the 300s in a haphazard sort of way. There might be another Four Color missing with Donald but the main ones are in the box.

15653542606_bfe2a5ed7a_c.jpg

15678856252_13f31523e2_c.jpg

15492066567_c256df7c8a_c.jpg

15504596999_0a02b46510_c.jpg

I've never picked up the non-Barks books from this time period. Maybe someday but so much else to pick up first.

I added the other FC 300 issues to the pic. A lot of non-Barks material was included when I purchased Disney lots. It is fun stuff too.

wow nice haul :)

Page 6 in Golden Age? Unacceptable.

Here's a resub from what I thought was a clearly undergraded book. Had a tough time deciding though as this is basically a keeper and White pages on a 1940 book is pretty rare. But here are the results.

Census has a clear break at the 6.0/6.5 level. There are five 6.5's and one each at 9.4, 9.0, 8.5, 7.5 and 7.0. so 10 at 6.0 and above and another 57 blue labels from 5.0 on down. a common enough GA key but tough in high grade.

Was a

scan0034.jpg

Now a

scan0207.jpg

scan0205.jpg

scan0206.jpg

Here's a resub from what I thought was a clearly undergraded book. Had a tough time deciding though as this is basically a keeper and White pages on a 1940 book is pretty rare. But here are the results.

Census has a clear break at the 6.0/6.5 level. There are five 6.5's and one each at 9.4, 9.0, 8.5, 7.5 and 7.0. so 10 at 6.0 and above and another 57 blue labels from 5.0 on down. a common enough GA key but tough in high grade.

Was a

scan0034.jpg

Now a

scan0207.jpg

scan0205.jpg

scan0206.jpg

Great book. I can see why it was a tough decision, though.

Was a

scan0034.jpg

Now a

scan0207.jpg

scan0205.jpg

scan0206.jpg

Beautiful Book. One of my favorites. (thumbs u

Was a

scan0034.jpg

Now a

scan0207.jpg

scan0205.jpg

scan0206.jpg

:luhv:

That's great, ft88. I remember when you got that book a long time ago and it is nice to see that you appreciate it. The 7.5, 8.5, and 9.0 copies from the census are all locked away and may not appear on the market again for decades. I don't know where the 9.4 is today.

Was a

scan0034.jpg

Now a

scan0207.jpg

scan0205.jpg

scan0206.jpg

It's a lovely book. It's too bad the page quality dropped, though. It was graded as a 5.0 on 7/1//2004 according to the website. I thought pages were judged more harshly back then, but maybe that wasn't always the case. (I suppose it's possible it wasn't stored properly, but one would hope a WDC&S #1 would be pampered.)

That's great, ft88. I remember when you got that book a long time ago and it is nice to see that you appreciate it. The 7.5, 8.5, and 9.0 copies from the census are all locked away and may not appear on the market again for decades. I don't know where the 9.4 is today.

Thank you much. I thought the 9.4 sold from Geppi, through heritage? Gotta figure that's locked away too, until it isn't.

Here's the old pic of the run of WDCS I picked up oh those 10 years ago. FC 9 on the arm of the couch too.

I think the difference between OW to W and White is a matter of mood for the graders that day.

wdcs2old.jpg

And there's enough 6.5's of the WDCS 1 to fill demand, relative to other big key cartoon books. I'm looking at you Archie 1, Peanuts 1, Little Dot 1, Four Color 33, Large Feature 8......

Thank you much. I thought the 9.4 sold from Geppi, through heritage? Gotta figure that's locked away too, until it isn't.

Here's the old pic of the run of WDCS I picked up oh those 10 years ago. FC 9 on the arm of the couch too.

I think the difference between OW to W and White is a matter of mood for the graders that day.

wdcs2old.jpg

I own some of those now. They went to a good home. :hi:

wdcs2old.jpg

That's a beautiful set of comic books :luhv:

wdcs2old.jpg

If I throw in the coverless issues my volume 4 is almost complete. Volume 3 is still missing a few.

15904012620_1e20d62c79_c.jpg

16090578022_5fe568ceff_c.jpg

Happy holidays all. :hi:

I was sitting with my now adult daughter today looking over the new Don Rosa hardcover volumes, and she made some comments I thought worth passing on here because of the fresh perspectve she has.

I'll post my comments on the Rosa books tomorrow (Cliff notes version: well worth having), but first a little background. My daughter was born in 1990, and she grew up with a houseful of Disney comics. First of all me reading them to her, and then on her own. My hardcover Barks Library just about got worn out.

Today we got talking about her all time favourite stories, and it became clear that her strong preference was for Rosa. That surprised me, because I think that Barks was a clearly superior writer (usually) and always a better artist. I just assumed she'd feel the same.

Here's what she had to say:

1. Barks' stories are very much a result of a much larger and more remote world than she has ever experienced. When he sent the ducks off to exotic places, to most of the readers they were places they'd never experience (or at least assumed they wouldn't) - such as Trala La in the Himalayas. Today many of her friends have trekked in Nepal. Barks got reader interest through techniques that don't really translate as well today.

2. Rosa does physical slapstick comedy better than Barks. (Actually, I partially agree with that, and the new books reminded me of that in places).

3. The Life and Times series is wonderfully coherent in a way that Barks never was. A story would finish in one issue, and those events wouldn't impact the next issue at all. (I think that difference reflects the view of a generation reading comics decades after Stan Lee perfected the serialisation of stories.)

She also made one comment that struck me as a deep truth I hadn't realised. We were talking about something that required a factual data point to resolve and she pulled out her smartphone and Googled it in seconds. She observed that she always wanted a Junior Woodchuck Guidebook - and now she has one. :o

Talking to your kids about comics. :cloud9: