• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,068 posts in this topic

Just imagine if the seller of this paid 8.0 money for it. Man that would suck. Can you imagine his surprise when the auction house informs him they had CGC regrade his book to a 4-5.0. Man that is a tough spot to be in from everybody's perspective.

I thought it was being sent to the CGC for inspection, not a regrade.

-slym

Just imagine if the seller of this paid 8.0 money for it. Man that would suck. Can you imagine his surprise when the auction house informs him they had CGC regrade his book to a 4-5.0. Man that is a tough spot to be in from everybody's perspective.

I thought it was being sent to the CGC for inspection, not a regrade.

-slym

1st long time no see Slym (Superpro here from CPG forums) is that the right name for the old forums lol ?

I have no idea but if they did in fact make a mistake and typed in an 8 instead of 5 what are they going to do? I would assume the will have no choice but to regrade it. I also believe this is the only thinking they can do to straighten out the problem. They should also buy it form the seller at FMV.

I think the tampering will not only be hard to prove, but if CGC is smart they will say that they screwed the pooch. If word gets out you can swap CGC books/label the CGC guarantee become worth as much as say PGX's.

It would be company suicide to say the book or label has been swapped. Unless everyone in a position to make such a decision is 100% void of business sense, CGC will never admit that a swap has happened.

Well they could always double down on their grade :)

I have no idea but if they did in fact make a mistake and typed in an 8 instead of 5 what are they going to do? I would assume the will have no choice but to regrade it. I also believe this is the only thinking they can do to straighten out the problem. They should also buy it form the seller at FMV.

I think the tampering will not only be hard to prove, but if CGC is smart they will say that they screwed the pooch. If word gets out you can swap CGC books/label the CGC guarantee become worth as much as say PGX's.

It would be company suicide to say the book or label has been swapped. Unless everyone in a position to make such a decision is 100% void of business sense, CGC will never admit that a swap has happened.

While I'm not disagreeing with your logic, historically CGC has bit the bullet on embarassing situations. Look at the Blue label JIM 83, resubbed to get a Purple, inspected again to retain the Purple, then resubmitted yet again to obtain a Blue. Maybe it was the Boards but CGC didn't try to hide. IMO, saying they screwed up on the grade as oppossed to a swap would be worse. Bringing the integrity of our grades into question would be a bigger PR issue than acknowledging the slab can be tampered with. Don't forget, there was a telltale crack in the slab.

If the label was swapped and there are signs of tampering, they have done their job.

K... 11 pages later.

Has anyone figured out EXACTLY what is going on with this book?

Was it a typo, the old switcheroo or what?

Either that or typo on the label.

Only two plausible explanations it seems to me.

They probably won't get a look at it until mid next week unless the people who sent it in overnighted it or something.

K... 11 pages later.

They probably won't get a look at it until mid next week unless the people who sent it in overnighted it or something.

Four possibilities:

1. The old switcheroo

2. Data entry fail

3. Hangover grading

4. The North Koreans

While I'm not disagreeing with your logic, historically CGC has bit the bullet on embarassing situations. Look at the Blue label JIM 83, resubbed to get a Purple, inspected again to retain the Purple, then resubmitted yet again to obtain a Blue. Maybe it was the Boards but CGC didn't try to hide. IMO, saying they screwed up on the grade as oppossed to a swap would be worse. Bringing the integrity of our grades into question would be a bigger PR issue than acknowledging the slab can be tampered with. Don't forget, there was a telltale crack in the slab.

See I don't understand the crack thing. Maybe it my child at Christmas morning mentality, but every time I have popped one out the case there was no way the case could be reused. I just don't see how it is possible. I would love a video on how it id done with no damage to the holder (minus a crack). Well actually I would not. To be clear I am not asking for video that shows this for obvious for obvious reasons. I love my comic hobby too much and if a video like that existed I would never again trust a CGC holder :) It would truly screw up my 3rd favorite hobby, and I am passionate about all 3.

K... 11 pages later.

Four possibilities:

1. The old switcheroo

2. Data entry fail

3. Hangover grading

4. The North Koreans

lol Those crazy Koreans. (Actually, I have studied Hap Ki Do for several years, but its South Korean, so that's ok. I whole heartedly advocate Tai Kwon Do for those who wish to get in shape or learn self defense.)

K... 11 pages later.

Four possibilities:

1. The old switcheroo

2. Data entry fail

3. Hangover grading

4. The North Koreans

5. Really extreme shaken comic syndrome

Gotta think they will go with data entry fail. Which I have to believe is the most likely. I can't believe they would want to either admit their graders so badly overgraded a book. Nor would they want to admit that their cases were that easy to tamper with. That leaves data entry fail, which most of us already have seen many instances of bad QC.

Gotta think they will go with data entry fail. Which I have to believe is the most likely. I can't believe they would want to either admit their graders so badly overgraded a book. Nor would they want to admit that their cases were that easy to tamper with. That leaves data entry fail, which most of us already have seen many instances of bad QC.

I remember the good old days when CGC would chime in here. Was I drinking egg nog when that happened? I have to believe there's a nefarious seller out there...otherwise QA was out to lunch on this one. Which isn't good.

See I don't understand the crack thing. Maybe it my child at Christmas morning mentality, but every time I have popped one out the case there was no way the case could be reused. I just don't see how it is possible. I would love a video on how it id done with no damage to the holder (minus a crack). Well actually I would not. To be clear I am not asking for video that shows this for obvious for obvious reasons. I love my comic hobby too much and if a video like that existed I would never again trust a CGC holder :) It would truly screw up my 3rd favorite hobby, and I am passionate about all 3.

I've never been able to do it either. But people have done it. Years ago someone posted a video of it being done. It was removed (for obvious reasons).

If the corner posts are cracked, the CGC case has done its part to alert the buyer it's been tampered with, so why would CGC not come out & confirm the book has been swapped?