• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

It is so nice to see my dream shared, one day I too will have a complete collection. I'm down to 9 issues now and the thrill is still very much alive, That's the fun of collecting. These are great comics and it is always enjoyable to view them time and time again, thanks for scanning and posting. I have a question if anyone would like to answer, why is there no love for the other titles in the Spider-man series? Even the prices seem to reflect that attitude.

It is so nice to see my dream shared, one day I too will have a complete collection. I'm down to 9 issues now and the thrill is still very much alive, That's the fun of collecting. These are great comics and it is always enjoyable to view them time and time again, thanks for scanning and posting. I have a question if anyone would like to answer, why is there no love for the other titles in the Spider-man series? Even the prices seem to reflect that attitude.

I've often wondered but keep coming back to a couple of thoughts:

1. ASM was the original title that most aging collectors identify with

2. ASM possesses the more significant story lines and character introductions and artists. (aka, lack of key issues)

Imagine if gwen stacey had survived long enough only to die in the pages of PPSM or if the Punisher's 1st appearance was delayed 2 years and debut in PPSM #1

What if McFarlane had revolutionized the way spidey was drawn in Web of Spider-man and Eddie Brock and the alien symbiot first got together in Web of Spider-man instead of ASM 300?

Would nostalgia still be enough for spidey collectors to hold ASM above all other spidey titles? Can you think of any 1st appearance of note in the PPSM or the WoSM titles? I'm not saying PPSM and WoSM sucked but I just feel that all the big bets were reserved for the flagship title.

It's all good since it allows me to pick up PPSM and WoSM back issues on the cheap.

They did give us the following characters: Carrion Tarantula the Lobo brothers and Tombstone so they do have a foundation. Actually I quite enjoyed the Carrion storyline when it ran especially the twist of it being a failed Jackal (Dr Warren) clone. Speaking of which how many members knew that Peter giving his blood would lead to something.