• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
50 50

1,629 posts in this topic

I picked up a cheap HP-8250 off of E-Bay and had disastrous results last night. I have basic VueScan so I did not bother uploading the drivers which may have been part of the issue. I got a couple 8 1/2x11" scans to come thru no problem but the scanner freaked out when I tried to scan a slab via a 8 1/2 x 14" scan. One scan looked good and then half way thru the second scan the scanner jumped to the left and started making a grinding sound. Couldn't get it to stop until I unplugged it. Restarted the scanner but then my computer started lagging and acted strange.

I restarted the computer and got a couple good scans and then it did it again. I'm using Windows 8 on a newer laptop and its really the only computer I've got access to except my wife's Mac which I'm reluctant to use. Any advice?

Glad to see I'm not the only one with an 8250 that's possessed. When it starts grinding my dogs start howling and the wife yells at me...

If I keep scanning one slab after another I have zero issues and like thunsicker said, if you take a break it's guaranteed to annoy everyone in the house.

I thought that may be the issue. I scanned two in a row but then took a break to tinker with settings and the next one went into grinding mode.

I downloaded the drivers for the 8250 and all the issues disappeared. I only scanned 3 books but each one went smoothly and the scans look good considering they are unprocessed.

Spiderman328Front_zpsdbd2bdfe.jpg

X-Factor24FrontA_zps0d5012e0.jpg

Edited by 1Cool

Can anyone reco a good cheap scanner? I need something for my graded books and my HP envy obviously isnt going to cut it for the slabbed books.

A HP 6500 is a solid scanner for slabs. It can be found for cheap as well. I paid 10 bucks for mine at a pawn shop.

I got an HP 8250 in the mail last night. Been tinkering around with the settings. Is there a way to get rid of the glare at the top of the book?

Sometimes flipping the book in the scanner might help. I use an 8250 and sometimes there is nothng you can do. Still much better than a blurry scan.

I picked up a cheap HP-8250 off of E-Bay and had disastrous results last night. I have basic VueScan so I did not bother uploading the drivers which may have been part of the issue. I got a couple 8 1/2x11" scans to come thru no problem but the scanner freaked out when I tried to scan a slab via a 8 1/2 x 14" scan. One scan looked good and then half way thru the second scan the scanner jumped to the left and started making a grinding sound. Couldn't get it to stop until I unplugged it. Restarted the scanner but then my computer started lagging and acted strange.

I restarted the computer and got a couple good scans and then it did it again. I'm using Windows 8 on a newer laptop and its really the only computer I've got access to except my wife's Mac which I'm reluctant to use. Any advice?

Glad to see I'm not the only one with an 8250 that's possessed. When it starts grinding my dogs start howling and the wife yells at me...

If I keep scanning one slab after another I have zero issues and like thunsicker said, if you take a break it's guaranteed to annoy everyone in the house.

I thought that may be the issue. I scanned two in a row but then took a break to tinker with settings and the next one went into grinding mode.

In the many years I've had my 8250 I've never heard it grind. I just use the microsoft software.

I got an HP 8250 in the mail last night. Been tinkering around with the settings. Is there a way to get rid of the glare at the top of the book?

Sometimes flipping the book in the scanner might help. I use an 8250 and sometimes there is nothng you can do. Still much better than a blurry scan.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

In the many years I've had my 8250 I've never heard it grind. I just use the microsoft software.

I downloaded the drivers for that scanner and the issues disappeared. Imagine that doh!

Applying light pressure to the back of the slab while scanning can also help. But with thick slabs, it's tough to avoid at least some glare.

Applying light pressure to the back of the slab while scanning can also help. But with thick slabs, it's tough to avoid at least some glare.

Thanks. I'll try that as well. I'm also noticing a faint white line going up the left side of all my scans. Its harder to see on the lighter covers. On my previous scan, you can see it to the left of the large pink heart going all the way up the page. Should I be concerned?

Edited by spideysenses78

Thanks. I'll try that as well. I'm also noticing a faint white line going up the left side of all my scans. Its harder to see on the lighter covers. On my previous scan, you can see it to the left of the large pink heart going all the way up the page. Should I be concerned?

Is it a used scanner?

If so it's probably just wear on the inside of the scanner glass.

That does work but you have to apply enough pressure to actually affect the inner well (where the glare is actually happening) but if you press too hard you run the risk of cracking the outer holder and potentially moving the book inside the holder.

Chance of damage is unlikely but I do believe it is there. Just wanted to put that out there.

Is it a used scanner?

If so it's probably just wear on the inside of the scanner glass.

Yeah, I got it off eBay used. I don't see any marks on the glass but there is a mark on the metal bar underneath. I've tried applying pressure on the slab to get rid of the glare with no luck.

I'm too cheap to pay for VueScan so I've been using the HP Solution Center to do the scanning. For those who have used it, do you change any of the settings after the scan? On the covers with a lot of dark colors, it shows really faded. So I tried the Restore Faded Color option. The left scan is regular and the right has the restored colors.

th_scan0002_zps458a3b7b.jpg th_scan0001_zpsc80f9210.jpg

My wife heard me complaining about my scanner not being able to scan slabs and bought me a Canon Lide 120. It's a flat bed. Very sweet, but I have no idea if it can scan slabs clearly at high resolution.

Any knowledge out there??

Thanks guys.

I just picked up a used HP 8250 and have a question: the person I bought it from said it's just a plug and play scanner - that I don't need to install any drives. He demonstrated it to me and it looked fine but I just want to be sure. Is there anything I need to install to get the best scanning results?

Thanks for your replies in advance and sorry if this has been asked somewhere earlier in this thread.