• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace Comics featuring Four Favorites, Super Mystery, and Our Flag
6 6

893 posts in this topic

Great stuff Jon. You were so prescient to pick up those books and recreations when you did.

Thanks Richard---it was a challenge and a hoot to find the artist, convince the artist to do the cover. Mooney liked doing them and Tuska also, Flessel.

I had failures too, like trying to get Eisner to do Wonder Comics 1 (that is a whole different story).

I feel lucky enough that I was able to obtain what I did. About 60% or so of my recreations were commissioned directly by myself

Here is a link to many of them....

http://comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=5028

I want my Flessel Detective #13 cover recreation back Jon

Crazy cool stuff as always Mr. Berk! Glad to see this thread alive and kicking. All the activity on the Timely and Atlas threads have me jealous :D don't get me wrong I LOVE seeing all those Timely gems, but Its really nice to be able comment AND post sometimes lol . I thought the MLJ thread hitting 100 pages would start a fire, but.. :tonofbricks: any way, always fun to see what's going on on these boards! Would you happen to be the owner of the Church Four Favorites 24? I obtained a copy this year. Killer cover. Would love to see the Church copy if it's yours!

No, I do not, but here is my copy.

Cripen jb

151760.jpg.f79a09eae133367c11e8433b2962e11f.jpg

Edited by jbcomicbox

Great copy of FF 24 Jon!!! I MAY be mistaken, but that "a5" code on the cover looks like it could be a Crippen D copy!!! Is there a code written in pencil at the top right of the first page? That Banner 3 is AWESOME!!! This is the highest grade copy I could find:

lf92THV5KD_zps07131cd6.jpg

You are not mistaken....it is the "D" copy

That is SO cool :applause: Man these books just keep showin' me great things!!! As you can probably tell, I love pedigree copies ..... for so many reasons!!! The condition, the stories behind them, the markings!! So much fun :) I STILL would love to find some original art to an Ace superhero book!! My count puts it at only 82 Ace comics containing superhero stories. Odds aren't too favorable that any of that precious artwork survived :( I remain hopeful though :wishluck:

That is SO cool :applause: Man these books just keep showin' me great things!!! As you can probably tell, I love pedigree copies ..... for so many reasons!!! The condition, the stories behind them, the markings!! So much fun :) I STILL would love to find some original art to an Ace superhero book!! My count puts it at only 82 Ace comics containing superhero stories. Odds aren't too favorable that any of that precious artwork survived :( I remain hopeful though :wishluck:

Never seen or heard of OA for this company......gotta be somewhere...jb

Great stuff Jon. You were so prescient to pick up those books and recreations when you did.

Thanks Richard---it was a challenge and a hoot to find the artist, convince the artist to do the cover. Mooney liked doing them and Tuska also, Flessel.

I had failures too, like trying to get Eisner to do Wonder Comics 1 (that is a whole different story).

I feel lucky enough that I was able to obtain what I did. About 60% or so of my recreations were commissioned directly by myself

Here is a link to many of them....

http://comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=5028

I followed that link and wow!! Thanks so much for posting it,Jon. Just incredible stuff. Murphy Anderson doing Fine..hard to top..but then the Mooney Super Mystery, Flessel Detectives,LB Cole Mask,even a Zolnerowich Planet! Did I mention the gorgeous Joe Simon Wonderwrold 13... :cloud9:

Great copy of FF 24 Jon!!! I MAY be mistaken, but that "a5" code on the cover looks like it could be a Crippen D copy!!! Is there a code written in pencil at the top right of the first page? That Banner 3 is AWESOME!!! This is the highest grade copy I could find:

lf92THV5KD_zps07131cd6.jpg

Mr Mooney was quite the young artist back then.Love it lots!!!!

I don't know if these have been posted before but I had 'em in the bucket...First up is Super Mystery. It seems to get over shadowed by Four Favorites a bit. But there are many great covers on these as well. I am down to only one or two more to get all the ones I want. Not high grade, but I don't care a bit.

comsupermystery4_zps4540f673.jpg

comsupermystery3_zps04db0621.jpg

comsupermystery2_zpsd04db8d3.jpg

comsupermystery1_zps5c1402e0.jpg

comsupemysteryv63_zpsa1e6723c.jpg