• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
45 45

6,078 posts in this topic

How hard would it be to etch the serial on the slab say on the back at the very bottom of the slab.

Course this would add to cost.

But how would that help? The issue isn't making sure the label aligns with the outer slab, it's making sure the label aligns with the comic.

Easy to access grading notes sounds like an excellent theft deterrent. Probably the best one.

How hard would it be to etch the serial on the slab say on the back at the very bottom of the slab.

But how would that help? The issue isn't making sure the label aligns with the outer slab, it's making sure the label aligns with the comic.

Yeah, this is why I think they haven't done anything to engineer a solution that at least helps them track potential tampering without needing books submitted for review in every case. But it doesn't mean they don't need to start doing something. Letter stamp/etching some system of coding the outer shell and well in a way that could be ID'd from a listing could help immensely in situations where the owner blows off recommendations to send the book in for review, and could possibly fast track tampering claims to help buyers get their refunds, or to help CGC pursue incidents of outright fraud.

When I found the fake AFA 90 Star Wars 21 Back Boba Fett (linked to earlier in this thread), Chad had mentioned they established contact with the seller. In this case, the seller was even boasting about his AFA "reproduction" in the listing. While it made for a listing description that would not cause him trouble from a buyer claiming he was passing off a fake for real, the situation made it a bit awkward for recovery. I think the seller blew AFA off, and ended-up selling the piece to a guy in Winnipeg, who turned around and tried to sell it on Facebook for $4K.

It's still out there, and I guess my point in explaining this is with CGC having so many different style wells and outer shells, some naming convention or letter coding for each style could help ID and track mismatched slabs in the wild. This situation worked out better than most because MCS were the consignor, and responded well to ensure any doubt is removed by having CGC inspect it. But we also saw the case of non-compliance with Wilson and the RSR comics Mark Zaid had requested be submitted for review.

This is definitely an area of vigilance and patrolling I would have like to see with more teeth as I have yet to see a situation play out where the owner of the slab needs to comply by law, or can excuse himself out of landing themselves in legal hot water by saying they bought the book like that. Interestingly enough, I've caught several reproduction carded figures on eBay where the seller had no idea they were fakes/counterfeits, and almost every one of them were dumped or sold to them at a convention/show.

My first reaction was no worse than 4.5. While it has obvious corner wear and spine ticks, it's actually a pretty solid copy, and it would be an acceptable 5.0, and based on some GA grades I've seen, it's not inconceivable that it could get a 6.0 from CGC on the right day. Much above that, if it's not a substitution it would have to qualify as an embarrassingly lax grade, the kind that makes buying raw off of ebay seem less a risk for overgrading.

Yeah, this is why I think they haven't done anything to engineer a solution that at least helps them track potential tampering without needing books submitted for review in every case.

They could etch the serial number into the cover of the comic.

Or maybe brand the outer cover with a big hot branding iron.

Yeah, this is why I think they haven't done anything to engineer a solution that at least helps them track potential tampering without needing books submitted for review in every case.

It would be just like Sig Series!

:idea:

First time looking at this thread. I'd grade the book F/VF (5.0) based on what I see. (I haven't looked at the grade yet.)

Have enough to drink to give you beer goggles, see double, and that's almost what the final grade on the label adds up to.

Just make sure to close your browser if PayPal shows up on your screen, because the beer is making the comic look that good.

image.jpg

Probably not too farfetched. After all there is CSV, which I think is an absurd waste.

qdraw.gif A bodacious solution that would work especially well with COW interiors. cow.gif

Just imagine if the seller of this paid 8.0 money for it. Man that would suck. Can you imagine his surprise when the auction house informs him they had CGC regrade his book to a 4-5.0. Man that is a tough spot to be in from everybody's perspective.

Edited by mdean2437

I think it's time for a total redesign of the slab. It should have better security features, some imbedded UV protection and be more sturdy. If CGC wants to continue to be leaders in this market, they should be proactive and make efforts to stay ahead of the game. They need a new marketing vision that adapts and reflects the concerns and demands of their customer base. They should be able to easily do this and still control costs, no different than how other businesses have had to it, my field of profession included.

If Voldemort doesn't have a patent, CGC should start putting the label in the inner well. It isn't perfect, but it helps.

-slym