• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian Original Art Scammer - Richard Rae
1 1

107 posts in this topic

Heads up to everyone in the OA community. Australian Original Art Scammer Richard Rae is trying to sell fakes again, including Kirbys and Steranko. His current scam is to propose a trade and ask the other party to send their art first, which he will claim was never delivered. He will then threaten them to pay for art which he claims to have sent them. Be warned that much of the art he is offering is fake, lightboxed copies or stolen from collectors or artists in Australia or overseas. Here is a link on Bleeding Cool about him: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/30/the-jack-kirby-and-mike-royer-original-art-that-isnt/

Avoid at all costs!

Richard has now just swindled work out of veteran artist Ralph Reese

This is in line with cheating other veterans like Rich Buckler, Russ Heath, Tom Sutton, Stan Pitt, Herb Trimpe. Can someone alert Bleeding Cool??

I'll write to Rich Johnston. This is no good.....again!

This is in line with cheating other veterans like Rich Buckler, Russ Heath, Tom Sutton, Stan Pitt, Herb Trimpe. Can someone alert Bleeding Cool??

I don't actually see anything here that suggests Rae has swindled Reese . . . yet!

I've sent Reese a FB message suggesting that he exercises the utmost caution in any dealings with Rae and will report back if I receive any reply.

In the meantime, is it not possible to have the police authorities turn their attention to Rae? You live over there and would surely be in a position to do something about this on-going mess. . .

I don't actually see anything here that suggests Rae has swindled Reese . . . yet!

I've sent Reese a FB message suggesting that he exercises the utmost caution in any dealings with Rae and will report back if I receive any reply.

In the meantime, is it not possible to have the police authorities turn their attention to Rae? You live over there and would surely be in a position to do something about this on-going mess. . .

The information is available on the FB pages of Richard and Ralph over the past few months. Rae got Ralph Reese to draw up a bunch of work on spec for a character that it has just emerged he didn't own and had no rights to. Here's one of the pieces. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=338679859649700 The character of The Scorpion belongs to the estate of Monty Wedd who FORBADE Rae to use it as soon as they became aware. Ralph Reese was not informed of this denial of permission at the time and continued to create work for free on the project which can now never be used. I'd call that swindling a veteran artist.

We have alerted the Australian police to Rae's activities in the past. He is quite isolated in Australia and conducts most of his current scams over Facebook with overseas collectors.

Edited by OperaHouseSydney

The information is available on the FB pages of Richard and Ralph over the past few months. Rae got Ralph Reese to draw up a bunch of work on spec for a character that it has just emerged he didn't own and had no rights to. Here's one of the pieces. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=338679859649700 The character of The Scorpion belongs to the estate of Monty Wedd who FORBADE Rae to use it as soon as they became aware. Ralph Reese was not informed of this denial of permission at the time and continued to create work for free on the project which can now never be used. I'd call that swindling a veteran artist.

We have alerted the Australian police to Rae's activities in the past. He is quite isolated in Australia and conducts most of his current scams over Facebook with overseas collectors.

Right . . . it's just that the initial link you provided didn't actually provide any of this additional information.

Glad to hear that the police have been alerted to his activities in the past. Hopefully, you'll keep them regularly updated.

His current scam is to propose a trade and ask the other party to send their art first, which he will claim was never delivered. He will then threaten them to pay for art which he claims to have sent them.

Richard's latest example of this scam involved a George Wilson Lost in Space painting, which he swindled from Joan Gispert some years ago. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=318559521661734

Okay, I've now heard back from Ralph Reese. Here's the extent of our FB conversation:

TD

"Hi Ralph

Heard that you're collaborating with an Australian by the name of Richard Rae? Not sure if you're aware of it . . . but Richard has a history of burning artists he works with (and scamming artwork collectors). He ripped-off a friend of mine several years back and has since become the subject of heated discussion forums. If you're in contact with Rich Buckler, it might be worth your while shooting Rich an e-mail to compare notes? Bottom line is simply that I'd respectfully suggest you exercise the utmost caution when dealing with this guy. He's bad news. Seriously."

RR

"I have been paid in advance. Richard seems like kind of a screwball but his money is good. At least so far. But thanks for your concern."

I've reminded Ralph that he ought to continue exercising caution when dealing with Rae and will leave it at that.

Glad that Ralph got some money. A shame that the publication will never see the light of day, as the character is one that Rae was specifically forbidden to use by the rights holders.

Nat Karmichael Bill I have just messaged Richard to ask him to clearly state his position. I expect he will do so. He is well aware the Wedd family do NOT wish to have The Scorpion character used. This is not a slight on Richard...they want NO ONE to use the character. Which is fair enough. And I do believe Richard will say this when he makes his statement.

Justin Wedd Hi All, Monty Wedd's "The Scorpion" will not be continued. I am Monty's son and state that it is my mother's wish (Dorothy Wedd) that her late husband's (Monty Wedd) work not be continued by any other artist. The Wedd family hold the copyright for all Monty Wedd's body of works. .

Ralph Reese this is the first I am hearing about any of this.... I guess the deal fell through....

December 10 at 5:14pm

Rae is trying to shill his STERANKO/BUCKLER in this FB group and other new fakes, some just printouts of OA.

He has been gloating about finally publishing the work he scammed from Buckler, Royer etc in a self published comic called UNEARTH.

He's trying to raise money to fund it by shilling fakes/stolen art on FB with this Fake Account. I highly recommend everyone go on and report it as a fake account if you're on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.rae.75

Rae is trying to shill his STERANKO/BUCKLER in this FB group and other new fakes, some just printouts of OA.

He has been gloating about finally publishing the work he scammed from Buckler, Royer etc in a self published comic called UNEARTH.

He's trying to raise money to fund it by shilling fakes/stolen art on FB with this Fake Account. I highly recommend everyone go on and report it as a fake account if you're on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.rae.75

The second link doesn't work, so presumably it got took down?

Anyways . . . well done on keeping up the pressure on this scum-bag. :applause:

Both still work

Both still work

Not for me . . . could be that I'm being blocked?

Both still work

Not for me . . . could be that I'm being blocked?

Possibly... I checked from work and home and both work for me