• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 252 Club 1st Kara Zor-El
2 2

174 posts in this topic

Is there a reason why this book has risen in price so much? I purchased an action 252 from metro a CGC graded copy for $850 back in 2011 and felt ripped off. Now I feel like the hulk with my purchase :) but I am still curious as to why?

There's a nice 4.0 on eBay that just went up.

We are fortunate that there is a good supply of Action Comics #252, even in higher grades - though premium copies may not be readily available. The fact that there are far more copies around than your average DC book from 1959 shows that this issue was always worth saving, Prices have sharply risen over the past year or so. Whether naturally or because of a forthcoming TV series who can say? More copies around can help prices move up rather than the situation of lack of sales through scarcity.

It is interesting to look at numbers of CGC 7.0 and better copies of other key DC books on sale within a few months of Action #252. There are currently 69 universal CGC #252s in 7 or better, compared with 11 Detective #267, 20 Detective #265 and 17 Superman #127. Only Adventure #260 breaks 20 CGC copies at 37 in 7 or better.

Even apparantly scarce DC keys can show up in significant numbers on ebay. Usually raw and lower grade of course. But there is still that exotic breed of DC superhero, often from the first half of the 1950s that remains elusive - almost altogether. These issues are often not keys but can be minor ones like Detective #205.

It will be interesting to see where Action #252 goes in the longer term as collectors become increasingly tempted to sell.