• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goon appreciation thread :)
5 5

1,060 posts in this topic

I"ve never had a chance yet to read Goon but it's onto my To-do list. Hoping Darkhorse comes around and puts out a hardcover collection in 2015 as they've been going back and doing a lot of HC collections lately. I know there was some put out a while ago but those are all OOP and expensive.

I'm pretty sure I heard that Dark Horse is going to put out deluxe hardcover editions for THE GOON like they did with HELLBOY. I'd wait for those rather than get the previously "Fancy Pants" editions, which weren't complete, anyway.

Or just get the trades for now. It's a modern great and a must-read.

:applause::headbang:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/comics/article/65079-dark-horse-to-release-eric-powell-s-the-goon-in-library-editions.html

Dark Horse to Release Eric Powell’s ‘The Goon’ in Library Editions

By Calvin Reid

Dec 17, 2014

The Goon is coming to a library shelf near you: Dark Horse Comics will release a deluxe hardcover library edition of Eric Powell’s Eisner Award-winning dark comedy in November 2015.

The library edition will collect The Goon: Rough Stuff (vol. 0), Nothin’ but Misery (vol. 1), My Murderous Childhood (vol. 2), and Heaps of Ruination (vol. 3). The hero of the series, which author-artist Powell created in 1999, is a mob enforcer out of a 1930s movie, except that he spends his time fighting the supernatural – monsters and zombies, just for starters.

Powell told PW that he started the Goon when he was a struggling young cartoonist and “all my jobs had dried up. I decided to just do whatever I wanted to do – noir, horror, comedy, and monsters – and just squash it all together.” While the series spotlights the comical team of the the Goon and his pal Frankie, Powell said, the series “isn’t always funny. I wanted to be able to tell any story, funny, tragic, sci-fi or horror. I jump around and somehow manage to shoehorn it all in.”

In 2012, Powell ran a successful Kickstarter campaign that raised more than $400,000 to fund a full-length animated Goon feature. He is working with the animation house Blur Studios and film director David Fincher to create the film; the team recently produced an animatic – a rough, storyboarded animation of the film that can be shown to studios.

Next year, in addition to the Goon library editions, Powell said fans can expect the finale of Once Upon a Hard Time, the last episode of the most recent Goon mini-series. “It’s the culmination of all the Goon’s story lines,” he explained. “It’s a major milestone in the series; and while the Goon is not ending, this is an ending of sorts.”

Dark Horse launched its line of Library Editions in 2008 with Mike Mignola’s Hellboy Library Edition vol.1. The line of oversized hardcovers also includes Joss Whedon’s Buffy Library Edition and The Last Airbender Library Edition. A Dark Horse spokesperson said the company has sold more than 200,000 copies of the books produced in the format.

YES!

YES!

That is fantastic news. I'm not even slightly mad that I have nearly the whole series in softcover trade and floppy. Love the Library Editions. WHEN CAN I PREORDER

Glad to see the Library Editions doing so well for them. They're a fantastic value and a beautiful format. I hope to see many more in the future. I tried Fear Agent strictly because of the unbeatable value on a great looking hardcover.

Edited by dupont2005

After being on my list for quite some time, I am very happy to have recently added this upgraded copy to my PC! :whee:

Fantastic copy! Powell is a true original- his storytelling and artwork is unique among contemporaries. I'm still looking for a copy of this book. Congrats!

To make it up to you, how about a movie?

the-goon.jpg

Deadpool Success Might Help Push The Goon Movie Forward

The good news is that Director Tim Miller's vision for Deadpool raked in a great deal of money for the studio, and has put Miller on the most wanted list, reigniting interest in the project. Miller and Jeff Fowler are directing the animated project, with David Fincher on as producer. Miller spoke to Collider about the renewed interest his hit flick has brought to the property.

“If Deadpool shined any light in the direction of the studio, we wanna use some of that light to shine it on Goon. So we’ve been doing a lot of work lately, we did some voice-over last week.”

“I do think that there is a corollary. Deadpool proves it, in a big way, that there is a market for this stuff out there… Goon is very much an action—it’s got a lot of heart, it’s got a lot of comedy, it’s got a lot of similarities to what I think was successful in Deadpool, and so I think it’s not a stretch to compare those two things and say the world is a little more ready than they used to be for this kind of material. In the past, there’s reasons why The Goon wasn’t made, it’s because people were afraid of edgy animation. Now I think that Deadpool has proved that that audience is out there in a bigger way than some people thought.”

The Kickstarter money was used to produce an 85-minute animatic so they could show studios the entire film in their pitch. Now that interest has picked back up, they aren't wasting any of the opportunities.

“Before we did our Kickstarter, we did a whole round with the studios, so we went down, Jeff and me, sometimes Fincher, sometimes Josh Donnen, and we went to all the studios and did our pitch for The Goon. We had a really beautiful pitch, we had a test piece, we had our book, we had all this stuff and at that time it was a $50 million project and we couldn’t get anybody to bite. Everybody loved it, but nobody would do it. So we went back and reworked the price a little bit and decided we were gonna take it out again, and right before we did that this demand to do a Kickstarter came up and then we said, ‘Okay it, we’ll wait, we’ll do the Kickstarter, and then we can literally show executives the whole film. Here’s the film, you don’t have to listen to me tell you what it’s going to be, you can see what it’s going to be.’ And that’s what we did.”

“We haven’t taken it back out yet, but I can honestly say, without saying who, there has been a number of calls now—for years it didn’t happen—saying, ‘Hey we hear you have this Goon project. When can we see it? What can we see?’ Jeff and I re-recorded some V.O. for the animatic last week, we’re doing some more week after next with a very prominent movie star. We know we’ve got a really good shot here and we wanna put our best foot forward.”

:whee: