• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your new Modern OA here!
3 3

1,483 posts in this topic

IMHO I thought the story was a befitting end to a historic character granted he won't be gone for long! Art was amazing on this series and since the Hulk 180 page will never ever be in my price range, I had to have a memorable character story point with this. I had asked Steve his process for this cover here is his response.

"For that cover I drew a rough the size of the printed cover, then lightboxed it on an 11 x 17 board using a b pencil, tightening up the piece and added details. Then I fed exed it over to Jay for inking.

For a good deal of the interior work I drew each panel of a particular page on photocopy paper, scanned them in and composited the final page in photoshop, adding details and adjusting stuff as needed. Then I put the file in dropbox for Jay to print out and ink.

The only real difference between the two methods is that I dont have to deal with shipping pages constantly to Jay and he doesnt have to wait for customs to process them before he can get to work. Covers are usually done , in my case at least, far before interiors so shipping concerns are not as worrisome.

There is big convoluted, but interesting discussion about the selling of original art and how it is changed by digital art and similar methods to what Jay and I have cooked up, but that is for another day. The only thing I would say on that topic here is that I have always followed a personal rule to never rely on the money I receive from selling original art. I want to make my living telling stories."

Happy Holidays to all and all the best in the New Year!!

DoWcover.jpg

I picked up Page 5 from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Issue 31 during NSNart's Ross Campbell sale. The piece had been on hold since last March so I am very pleased to be able to reunite these 2 page. :)

O6Sa7N.jpg

Unfortunately the PO decided to bend the package even though it was marked fragile and Do Not Bend. It ended up with a giant crease across panels 2 and 3 so that is a real bummer. doh!

Got a big time acquisition in the mail today, (for me anyway). It's the Scalped Deluxe Hardcover Book One hand-painted by R. M. Guera. If you're a fan check it out. It's really a beautiful piece of artwork.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1212184

I couldn't help but grab this page with Dash hunched over his mother's grave along with it. I'm going to be broke for a long time.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1212181

Great minds think alike! I was just about to post mine, but thought I'd add them to the Scalped thread as I doubt many Scalped fans are even aware of these painted covers yet!

Congrats on the fantastic pick-ups!

Great minds think alike! I was just about to post mine, but thought I'd add them to the Scalped thread as I doubt many Scalped fans are even aware of these painted covers yet!

You too, Court. I can't say enough good things about that Red Crow cover. Just gorgeous!

You too, Court. I can't say enough good things about that Red Crow cover. Just gorgeous!

Thanks Joe! Now I just need to get off my butt and sell my Southern Bastards cover to pay for it. lol