• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Death-Return Print Variant Collection
5 5

257 posts in this topic

Concerning the multiple printings for the seven issues that make up the first chapter of the Death and Return of Superman, I have a pretty good idea of what printings are more difficult to find and which ones are fairly common, like the difficult MOS #19 and Action #684 3rd printings for example over the easy to find multiple printings for Superman #75.

Any ideas on what multiple printings concerning the Funeral chapters are more difficult to find?

Adventures of Superman 499 3rd print

2nd Print ( I'm starting to believe it does not exist)

Action Comics 686 2nd print

I believe these are the most difficult to find in any condition. As far as I know, they were only available in the 2 packs.

Superman 77 3rd print

Man of Steel 20 2nd print

Adventures of Superman 498 4th

These can be found in 2 packs as well as the boxed funeral sets, but still difficult enough to find.

Thanks!

This just arrived on my doorstep. It may not be as rare as the 3rd or 4th print but for $31 (that's also including shipping) I'm thrilled! This is one of four currently in the census.

P1010362_zpsa943ca5c.jpg

At this time there are currently no 9.8 CGC examples for the the 3rd or 4th printings, hopefully that will change soon.

This just arrived on my doorstep. It may not be as rare as the 3rd or 4th print but for $31 (that's also including shipping) I'm thrilled! This is one of four currently in the census.

P1010362_zpsa943ca5c.jpg

At this time there are currently no 9.8 CGC examples for the the 3rd or 4th printings, hopefully that will change soon.

It could change right now, but no one wants to pony up the cash to pay for them.

;)

P1010362_zpsa943ca5c.jpg

It could change right now, but no one wants to pony up the cash to pay for them.

;)

I guess there are better things to spend money on... hm

;)

I guess there are better things to spend money on... hm

I suppose.

hm

I imagine the 7 or so people looking for this set are trying (and succeeding, mostly) to find them on their own. Once that becomes impossible, people will move on, or look for other sources.

It is a wonderful, excellent challenge, with just enough variation to be visually appealing. It is an outstanding happenstance that this, the single most popular comics event in the history of comics, spawned a whole bevy of unintentional rarities that makes the set a terrific modern day challenge...not impossible...but certainly not as easy as just checking eBay.

I may have overused the superlatives, but I love how unintentional the whole thing was, and how such things were not just ignored, but actively spurned by the collecting community of the time, and now, 20 years on, that's resulted in such a magnificent collection.

Can you tell I'm in love...? :luhv: And I'm only selling one of them. ;)

This and the Knightfall set have reclaimed excitement and challenge out of the doldrums of the market glut.

As far as I know, the only books I need to complete all the printings are the MOS white variant (shown above), Superman #73 2nd, MOS #17 2nd, and Action #686 2nd.

I enjoy hunting for the various printings in this series. It adds a challenge to complete the whole thing. I haven't really looked for the various JLA #69 prints yet

Like you said there are probably like.... 7 people trying to actually collect these for themselves, but there are dozens more just buying them up to flip on for absurd markups. I like the challenge of finding a good quality copy for a realistic price. I have been willing to pay above market value for certain HTF issues in the past, but nowhere near what some people are trying to get for them on eBay, etc.

I was buying them new during the Superman 75 fiasco- the only time my LCS had a line down the block other than FCBD in the last 2 years. I tried hard for first prints, and did pick up most of the others too, but have not had any graded.

Superman732nd.jpg

I agree with you, I also enjoy collecting issues for this set but buying most of these slabs is to get me through until that next Bronze Action Comics slab comes along. I'm not saying I'm not passionate about this set, but I do have other goals in mind.

I did find myself a little lost in the multiple printing craze earlier in the year when I bought a Superman #75 4th printing slabbed for a high figure. Not a major regret, but if I had a redo I would have passed, it's my book now and I guess that's all that really matters now. I also got the first MOS 17 2nd print in 9.8, also kind of expensive but I at least spent some time thinking about it, good thing I didn't buy it because it was the lone 9.8 at the time, now there are 8 and it hasn't even been a year yet.

I also don't search out raw copies like the few mentioned previously who do so and are successful, so I'm just siting there and waiting - counter productive. ;)

I was buying them new during the Superman 75 fiasco- the only time my LCS had a line down the block other than FCBD in the last 2 years. I tried hard for first prints, and did pick up most of the others too, but have not had any graded.

Superman732nd.jpg

Nice copy, I really like this cover!

Are there any reprint issues among the pre-Doomsday, Death of, Funeral, Reign and Return story arc that do not have the roman numeral under the pricing info? Other than the MoS #19 action figure reprint. Thanks

I believe they all have Roman Numerals, except the 2005 MOS 17 19.

Edited by FutureFlash

Are there any reprint issues among the pre-Doomsday, Death of, Funeral, Reign and Return story arc that do not have the roman numeral under the pricing info? Other than the MoS #19 action figure reprint. Thanks

I believe they all have Roman Numerals, except the 2005 MOS 17.

If you are asking because you are a super completionist, consider getting newsstand AND direct copies of all the comics and reprints.