• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

Certainly looks a lot better, I would be bothered by the fact that the cover seems to be attached now and it wasn't before. The label color doesn't bother me, but honestly I wasn't interested in it in the blue holder and I was interested in it in the green holder, I didn't even realize it was the same book....

James G

This book has been lingering on ebay for months. The seller is vehemently opposed to slabbed and graded books (I guess we should just take his word for it on a book's grade and extent of restoration). I actually thought about buying this thing, seller states restoration does not affect artwork, but unless my eyes deceive me, I am seeing all kinds of colour touch in many of the red areas on the cover, namely, Cap's punching glove, in the Nazi sign behind the two guys shooting at him in the back, Hitler's tie, half the bubble Bucky is in, and the second red bar behind the main title, etc. Not only that, but the staples looked cleaned and/or replaced. I think this particular seller buys restored books, breaks them out, and then sells them at 80-100% of unrestored prices.

Or am I completely off base with what I think I'm seeing? (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-1-1941-CLASSIC-HITLER-COVER-/111436273604?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19f21e97c4

-J.

tomorrow's treasures = richie muchin = world class !

you'll find plenty threads on here about him.

Ugh. So am I right about the colour touch smeared all over that book? And the staples? I'm assuming that's why it isn't selling, even with nearly 100 "watchers". That's why I didn't pull the trigger at least. doh!

-J.

Wanted to buy a "VF" tec 39 from him; Larson copy.

Offered to pay for CGC fees. Told me to eff off. Some sucker eventually bought it, @ VF price tag. Turned out a CGC 6.5.

Sounds like he did you a favour on that one. lol

-J.

Told him I'd buy the book pending CGC grade. No slab, no purchase. This because I had already read about him on here.

He thinks he's above all. He downplays CGC as his own grading is "second to none". He has no people skills either from what I've read.Also, his notion of "conservation/restoration" is a joke ...

Thankfully there are plenty good dealers out there besides this fool.

I think id rather keep it in the .5 Blue myself wonder if it was pressed and dry cleaned or just resubmitted

The book was definitely worked on prior to being deposited into its new holder. (thumbs u

-J.

I can confirm that book was dry cleaned, pressed and cover reattached.

Looks like the .5 Blue sold a few auctions ago by CC is no more. There are zero on the census. Anyone know what happened to it? My guess is they found a centerfold and it is now one of the Qualified's?? (I wasn't keep track of the green labels)

This happened to it:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DCaptain%2BAmerica%2B1%26x%3D21%26y%3D1%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1023793

-J.

Which old CC 0.5 Blue?

There was a fugly one recently but it looks totally different from this book.

Looks like the .5 Blue sold a few auctions ago by CC is no more. There are zero on the census. Anyone know what happened to it? My guess is they found a centerfold and it is now one of the Qualified's?? (I wasn't keep track of the green labels)

This happened to it:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DCaptain%2BAmerica%2B1%26x%3D21%26y%3D1%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1023793

-J.

Which old CC 0.5 Blue?

There was a fugly one recently but it looks totally different from this book.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=554387

-J

I think id rather keep it in the .5 Blue myself wonder if it was pressed and dry cleaned or just resubmitted

The book was definitely worked on prior to being deposited into its new holder. (thumbs u

-J.

How was the cover reattached?

-J.

How was the cover reattached?

The bottom staple was actually a partial staple (one side was normal and the othe about 1/8" long) when looking at the CF you could only see half of the staple. The bottom staple was pretty much loose and the cover wasn't torn, so I worked it back through and locked it back down on the one side. The top staple I loosened and you can see the triangle tear of the cover, I worked it back under the staple and locked it back down.

This book has been lingering on ebay for months. The seller is vehemently opposed to slabbed and graded books (I guess we should just take his word for it on a book's grade and extent of restoration). I actually thought about buying this thing, seller states restoration does not affect artwork, but unless my eyes deceive me, I am seeing all kinds of colour touch in many of the red areas on the cover, namely, Cap's punching glove, in the Nazi sign behind the two guys shooting at him in the back, Hitler's tie, half the bubble Bucky is in, and the second red bar behind the main title, etc. Not only that, but the staples looked cleaned and/or replaced. I think this particular seller buys restored books, breaks them out, and then sells them at 80-100% of unrestored prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-1-1941-CLASSIC-HITLER-COVER-/111436273604?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19f21e97c4

-J.

Richie is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I've never heard of him doing anything like this and would be very much surprised if he did.

I've bought a number of books from him over the years and haven't had any problems. So far as I can tell, he always discloses everything about the books he sells.

-J.

Richie is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I've never heard of him doing anything like this and would be very much surprised if he did.

I've bought a number of books from him over the years and haven't had any problems. So far as I can tell, he always discloses everything about the books he sells.

Do most of those reds not looked colour touched to you then? (shrug)

-J.

-J.

Do most of those reds not looked colour touched to you then? (shrug)

-J.

There does seem to be some red color touch in the scan. You could call him or ask him a question via eBay.