• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC Bronze Age what do you do?
3 3

248 posts in this topic

Question: Why would books like MS 5, TOD 10, and GL 76 suddenly become even more valuable after their subsequent movies have already ran their course? GL 76 especially took a moderate fall from grace as the movie failed to live up to the hype.

Mostly because there isn't a lot of attention drawn to the books for the exact reason you mentioned. Ghost Rider and Green Lantern were also adapted horribly too. They're still legitimate keys and even "grails" to certain collectors out there.

In that sense I don't see the books going down. I actually feel now is the time to grab pick them up while the focus is on ridiculousness like Squirrel Girl, Quake, Enchantress, Variants, etc..

TOD10 and MS5 can both be had for under $100 in mid grade. That seems pretty crazy to me.

TOD 1 (yes, I do mean issue one) has done nothing in regards to price appreciation in years. TOD 10 I always thought has peaked as well. This was a close to $3000 in 9.8 at one time. I don't see it as undervalued.

I don't think movie studios will revisit these characters any time soon.

I fully agree however, that it is completely idiotic that fourth tier characters like Squirrel Girl have experienced modest price appreciation. This should correct soon. Most movie hyped books do not stay at speculative highs.

Tough call between GSXM 1 in 8.5 or a Cerebus 1 in 7.5.

Btw, not really, the number of Cerebus #1s is finite, GSXM #1 is not - Even after years of high profile, they are still available in the wild, C1 not so.

I can't remember the last time someone "handed me $1000 to invest" . . . :grin:

Oh come on now you need to get a comfy job on Wall Street. Not only do you get handed $1,000,000+ to 'invest' (forget $1,000), but if you lose the taxpayers bail you out and if you win you keep all he gains.

It is the only way to invest!

Btw, not really, the number of Cerebus #1s is finite, GSXM #1 is not - Even after years of high profile, they are still available in the wild, C1 not so.

Cerebus 1...

There will never be another book like it...

Cerebus 1...

There will never be another book like it...

That is definitely true...

I don't think too many will argue with that statement; at least in the manner I am looking at it from.

Scenario: You have $1000 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Bronze keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed and dates are 1970 to 1979.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $1000 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

If I had started this thread today I would have up it to $5,000 to $10,000 to start and diversified(not picking just one comic).

$1,000 isn`t really much to make for any significant long-term comic book bronze age investments. How naïve I was back then. lol

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

$1,000 isn`t really much to make for any significant long-term comic book bronze age investments. How naïve I was back then. lol

i think you did alright man! this is a great thread to look back on because it shows how strong the hobby has grown last 5 years!

take for instance, several members pick of a Hulk 181 in cgc 9.0 for $1,000. At that time most of us assumed the ship had sailed on many bronze keys yet now a Hulk 181 in 9.0 is comfortably selling in the $2,500 range... wowzers

thats not bad guys. In fact most of this threads early picks are looking pretty good 5 years later..

as for the next 5 years

cant go wrong with

X-men #94 GSX#1

Cerebus #1

Hulk #181

Batman Adams keys #232,#251 (honorable mention to 227)

edit: i want to throw in ASM 129 as well since it had sucha huge impact at the time on the hobby and still resonates regardless of hype,

those books are the foundation of so much we know today.

Edited by sonicyouth

It's been said, but marvel spotlight 5. That werewolf by night 32 is currently selling for more than it across a range of mid-high grades is bananas.

I don't get the Moon Knight hate. (shrug) That book and character are way underrated in my opinion.

It's been said, but marvel spotlight 5. That werewolf by night 32 is currently selling for more than it across a range of mid-high grades is bananas.

I don't get the Moon Knight hate. (shrug) That book and character are way underrated in my opinion.

Amen to that. Always a struggle to get MK 'reboots' to really latch on to people.

It's not Moon Knight hate. I _love_ the character.

But he's a third-tier character relative to Ghost Rider and Punisher, who are both solid second-tier characters that were also once mega-popular a-listers for a few years in the early 90s.

Moon Knight's never had _nearly_ the popularity of Ghost Rider. And like Dr. Strange, he's struggled to float a consistent monthly book.

Has Moon Knight ever had a series run more than 75 issues? No. Ghost Rider and Punisher have done it twice. Each.

Has he ever starred in a movie? No. Ghost Rider and Punisher have each had at least two.

Yes, Moon Knight's the next logical character for a Marvel movie announcement, so % return on Werewolf 32 will likely be better over the next three years.

But Ghost Rider has a far bigger fan base among folks who came of age in the 90s. 5 years from now, and esp. 10 years from now, once all the movie hype has passed, he'll continue to be the bigger character.

It's not Moon Knight hate. I _love_ the character.

But he's a third-tier character relative to Ghost Rider and Punisher, who are both solid second-tier characters that were also once mega-popular a-listers for a few years in the early 90s.

Moon Knight's never had _nearly_ the popularity of Ghost Rider. And like Dr. Strange, he's struggled to float a consistent monthly book.

Has Moon Knight ever had a series run more than 75 issues? No. Ghost Rider and Punisher have done it twice. Each.

Has he ever starred in a movie? No. Ghost Rider and Punisher have each had at least two.

Yes, Moon Knight's the next logical character for a Marvel movie announcement, so % return on Werewolf 32 will likely be better over the next three years.

But Ghost Rider has a far bigger fan base among folks who came of age in the 90s. 5 years from now, and esp. 10 years from now, once all the movie hype has passed, he'll continue to be the bigger character.

I like the breakdown of your thinking.

MK's backstory is too convoluted for audiences. I see either a massive reboot to the character to make him adaptable - or they will just continue to look over him. The whole Khonshu stuff is way too much minutia to the character. Get rid of that and make him Batman. That is what he is, no matter how you dress him up with ancient Egyptian gods, sidekicks, money, magic, artifacts, gadgets, psychotic disorders or whatever else. I even tried out the new MK - and Warren Ellis added even more krap to the character.

He's buried under tons of excess detail, and while there's a lot of us who have an affinity for the cover and nostalgia for the character - I think a Marvel announcement on him would be a gamble. But on the flipside: could be a huge opportunity to rebuild the character for audiences.

I want to add a few books to my "investment list":

Captain Marvel 25,26 & or Logan's Run #6 for the extremely early key Thanos appearances.

I would go with CM #33 It's the first Origin Story for Thanos and the cover is classic.

Although it may be too late because sales for 9.8s are pushing $1000

Apologies in advance for getting slightly off topic but my thoughts do all tie in together with the topic at hand.That said....

I think one could do just as well, if not better, with copper age keys as I believe there is more growth for copper keys than bronze keys.

Not that there are not some very good bronze age investment quality type books, out there.I just think that copper keys will be considerably stronger in 5 years then they are now as copper is still maturing as part of our hobby and in 5 years time, a lot of copper keys will have matured considerably, IMHO.

We saw the same thing happen with bronze age keys in the late 90's.They kicked into high gear as collectors who came of age in the 1970's , started searching for the books they associated with their childhood so the perception of value greatly increased.Which in turn led to realized sale prices and after the speculators pulled out, the bronze keys remained strong.

Copper keys have already rises signifigantly but I believe they will do so considerably more, as time has shown us with the market emerging strongly in the past for bronze keys..

I'm a child of the 80's myself and while I do collect some bronze books, I am not nearly as well schooled as other collectors who have more of an affinity for bronze books.

A fine example of certain bronze books which look like solid investment books are highlighted in this article by BronzeBruce13 :

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000003