• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

I bought 2 of these from my LCS (Newbury Comics) for $7.99 each. Both came back Blue 9.8. I sold one to a boardie and have the other on display in my comic room. Great cover!

^^

And out of curiosity, did you also score a 667 Del'Otto from your same LCS? That one is over five times rarer than the 678 VenoMJ.

-J.

Sadly I didn't, and that was because of my own stupidity, I didn't place the order for it :(. What's great about the Newbury Comics stores is that they (in my case at least) always get my variants and never miss them. They charge a standard price for all variants. The highest price for any variant is a 1:200 for $99.00 and they always grade 9.8. I haven't missed a single SSM variant yet. Those that are con exclusives I need to get elsewhere though.

I feel your pain on the 667, I didn't reserve/order either. Was still worn out from the 666 event. Blech! My LCS did get one, and I had to hustle/bribe/threaten and ultimately pay pretty big and include a trade for the one copy he got. Glad I did, as it seems to now be virtually non-existent on the secondary market, with 678 rapidly following in its footsteps. 678 and 667, the pride and joy of any Spidey variant run. :cloud9:

-J.

I bought 2 of these from my LCS (Newbury Comics) for $7.99 each. Both came back Blue 9.8. I sold one to a boardie and have the other on display in my comic room. Great cover!

^^

And out of curiosity, did you also score a 667 Del'Otto from your same LCS? That one is over five times rarer than the 678 VenoMJ.

-J.

Sadly I didn't, and that was because of my own stupidity, I didn't place the order for it :(. What's great about the Newbury Comics stores is that they (in my case at least) always get my variants and never miss them. They charge a standard price for all variants. The highest price for any variant is a 1:200 for $99.00 and they always grade 9.8. I haven't missed a single SSM variant yet. Those that are con exclusives I need to get elsewhere though.

What did they charge you for the Ditko 700?

$149.99 for the Ditko. Yea, I have one of those LCS's that dont round up to the dollar. I feel like I'm shopping at Walmart.

What I love about this cover is its POPS everytime I see it. It will be a classic I think in its era.

Also this book wasnt overly difficult to find at the time it blew up afterwards so normal collectors could have cashed in as well.

To add on to your comment, I think of the LCS's that had this; because it wasnt anything special as far as story line, the comic wasn't treated well (i.e. tossed on the shelf, slammed into a bag/board quickly). So finding one in decent shape, 9.6/9.8 is hard. The spidey completionists that keep tabs on their weekly orders are the ones that got lucky....thats me ever since #698.

Spidey78 you make a great point. I think that's why you see so few graded ones for sale and NEVER any 9.8s. You would think that if people thought they had a 9.6/9.8 raw that most would have been sent in to get graded by now so they could sell at a premium. But the vast majority of the ones that sell are selling raw. Spidey sales weren't great when this issue came out, like you said it was a fairly nothing storyline at the time, so it's also rarer than a typical 1:50. To give a little perspective....right now there are only 18, 9.8 678, VenoMJ's on the census after nearly two years. In barely two months there are already 33, SSM #20 Campbell variants on there.

-J.

$150 is NICE! did you grade it?

Not yet. I actually was one of those people that thought the spin tick that came on pretty much all ASM #700's wouldnt grade 9.6/9.8 but apparently CGC takes that "flaw" into account on grading. I might grade it sometime. I would expect a 9.6 from it probably. Might have to do this now...

Get it graded. Mine has a pretty deep, color breaking spine tick near the bottom staple, and it got a 9.8. A 9.8 is not a 10, certain minor defects are allowable. Seems a lot of folks forget that and view a 9.8 as a de facto mint grade that only visually "perfect" books should or do get. It isn't. It's only a NM/M grade.

-J.

Not very well rendered, not clever, not good wordplay even. And she's got a FUPA. This has to be spec chasing spec money.

:sick:

I would possibly agree with that if they were the same slabbed copies going for ever increasing amounts. But these are different sellers cashing out of their raw copies. Fact is, this particular comic is legitimately rare, has apparently become a modern grail, and its homage cover has quickly attained a cult status, for obvious reasons.

Although I would say that this is beyond wishful thinking, at least for now lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-spiderman-678-venom-variant-/161206703742?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2588ab167e

-J.

Not very well rendered, not clever, not good wordplay even. And she's got a FUPA. This has to be spec chasing spec money.

:sick:

I would possibly agree with that if they were the same slabbed copies going for ever increasing amounts. But these are different sellers cashing out of their raw copies. Fact is, this particular comic is legitimately rare, has apparently become a modern grail, and its homage cover has quickly attained a cult status, for obvious reasons.

Although I would say that this is beyond wishful thinking, at least for now lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-spiderman-678-venom-variant-/161206703742?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2588ab167e

-J.

Just some late night curmudgeon posting from me. If people want it they'll pay what it takes to get it. More power to them.

It's still pretty fugly to me, however.