• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Simple Discussion on Walking Dead Original Art Prices

706 posts in this topic

What's the opinion on the estimated value of artwork from The Walking Dead #53 featuring the 1st appearance of Abraham, Rosita and Eugene ?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fsearch_adv_art.asp%3Fall%3Dy%26CATEGORIES%3D-1%26Artist1%3DCHARLIE%2520ADLARD%26PRICEF%3D%26PRICET%3D%26SORT%3DCATEG%26where_auctione%3Dy%26where_auctions%3Dy%23Item_1037615&id=1037615

Do you think with Abraham dead in the comics (yet alive, for now on the TV show) has any impact on the value, as he once was a key character in the comics, but at least Rosita and Eugene are still alive (for now) in the comic series.

Hrm... well it's from the 1st app issue but it's not the 1st app page, in fact there are a couple of pages before that one featuring those characters and some of them including action which are more desirable. For me just owning any page from #53 with Abraham in it isn't all that special, that's not to say that I don't go for stuff where almost any page will do... depends on the title, artist or writer.

With TWD the cast is going to change a lot as it develops so I don't think people will forget characters that have played a large role over 4 - 5 years. Abraham has also had his fair share of cover time too so he's pretty recognisable.

I wouldn't like to guess the price tag on it but I wouldn't put it above something from 7 - 35 with main characters in it just becaue it's #53... can't speak for other collectors though.

The appeal of the page is somewhat limited, imho. Yes, from the first appearance issue, but there's not much going on in the page. Even more importantly, I wouldn't call any of those characters fan favorites. Nobody likes Eugene (although he's redeemed himself somewhat in the comic), Rosita has done nothing to distinguish herself from any of the other countless peripheral characters, and Abraham's time in the comic was just too short to cement himself in the pantheon with Rick, Michonne, Carl, Andrea.

Overall, nice enough page, but I don't see anything about it that might inspire crazy bidding.

... and another one bites the dust

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-Adlard-The-Walking-Dead-Original-Comic-Art-Half-Splash-Page-Issue-14-/321596072294

2/3 Zombie splash, has Rick in it, early issue from a good arc. $1,127.56 with quite a bit of bidding action on it. Definitely out of reach for average joe :ohnoez:

The better stuff has certainly crept up there and is holding its own really well now, even if there is a metric ton of the recent pages available, even though it's been in everyone's faces so much and people have had ample time to get tired of it. No real insight, the same could be said for most other long running popular comics. It does seem strong though considering Charlie's work outside of TWD doesn't command anywhere near these sort of prices.

Wow. Congrats to the buyer!

I would only say that while it was technically a true "no reserve" auction, it 100% would have gone for more if U.S. buyers were aware of it. Easily could have fetched closer, if not over, the 2k mark. Which is substantially more than its actual sale price.

smh for not getting ebay alerts. :( This page has been on my radar for quite some time.

funny...reading this thread I think I bought the page the original poster was wringing his hands about :)

mhmmm (thumbs u

I sure did pay a good amount (a little over 2k I think lol ) but would that be such crazy a price today? In any event it hangs in the bedroom and it is a masterpiece :)

funny...reading this thread I think I bought the page the original poster was wringing his hands about :)

mhmmm (thumbs u

I sure did pay a good amount (a little over 2k I think lol ) but would that be such crazy a price today? In any event it hangs in the bedroom and it is a masterpiece :)

It's a great page.

If you really like it, that's all that matters. (thumbs u

Hey mods-- Why were two incredibly benign/boring posts regarding this hammer price removed? Is there just a glitch on the site, or did someone not want news on that auction to be shared?

I missed it what happen......who's post went poof?

ComicLink and I both discussed the hammer price of the #10 piece from eBay, and I stated the strong result was indicative of what the market could be for 2015. That's all. But then our posts were both gone. Again, the posts were so harmless that I have to think a glitch happened, but the fact both of our posts were wiped was strange to me.

Anything new in the WD OA today?

Anyone just jumping on board............ seems like there are some new bidders out there on ebay.

I'll chime in as I probably fit the bill. I owned a bunch of WD art about 3 years ago (covers to #27, 54, 91, the infamous Omnibus #1 wrap-around cover, lots of splashes, interiors, etc.) and like an absolute insufficiently_thoughtful_person I sold everything just before the roof got blown off this stuff as the show caught fire. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 right?

Anyways, I have focused my OA collecting priorities elsewhere since then, but in recent weeks I have found myself cruising CAF for WD art again....

So, if anyone has a KILLER A+ panel page from early in Adlard's run that fits the following criteria, I will pay handsomely. I have to stress that I only need one representative page folks so the page will need to be great and it will need to check the following boxes at least:

- has to be a panel page

- has to be early in Adlard's run when his inking was cleaner, more precise/thinner lines

- absolutely has to be 11x17 board

- has to have Rick

- has to have zombies

- ideally has to have zombie-kills but not must have

- ideally has Michonne and/or Governor but again is not a must have.

I know everyone wants this stuff, but please try me....I can be contacted directly at lago.32@sympatico.ca

Thanks,

Mike D

Glad to have you back....wow sounds like you had a few gems.

Seems like it was going flat (prices) for a little while there.

But then again I have not seen many choice pages out on the market lately. I did see strong sales on ebay a few weeks ago....a few seemed to go higher because of the sellers unfortunate circumstances. I look back at the last few years and it's just crazy the way the stuff has climbed in price.

I was just wondering if the TV show may have brought in a couple of collectors...

I'm not sure it can be attributed solely to the television show, but there are certainly some new collectors coming into the market.

As a matter of fact, I remember when you came into the WD market James. Just to scale time, quite a lot has changed. lol Covers could be had for a few grand then, and good ones at that!

I think the series is becoming more absorbed into the comic reading sphere as a "must read" title. In the same way that other well acclaimed series are. It dominates the horror genre and it goes without saying that there are new fans of the genre every generation. Also, you gotta think that titles within the same genre compete with each other. Not all superhero fans like all superheroes. And that's not to say that all horror fans like TWD. But can you name another horror comic that takes any real amount of readership away from TWD? Its not surprising that new collectors would come in and start buying pages.

Makes it more difficult for established collectors to buy what they want. Hell, look at that issue 48 pg that went for 3.3K. I didn't think anyone would bid past 3K. I was wrong.