• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

(posted this recent pickup a couple other places, but thought I'd bump this thread with it, as well - I'm pretty fond of it :D )

My first EC Church copy...seems like they don't turn up very often.

An interesting note from the Heritage auction back when this book sold there in 2004:

"This comic is something of a curiosity. It's is known that most of the EC comics from the Mile High collection were bought second-hand, and are not in as nice condition as the comics Edgar Church bought new. However, this particular EC comic looks fantastic - just like the comics he purchased as they reached the newsstands. Was this comic bought new, or was it simply a second hand comic that never accumulated any wear prior to being acquired by Mr. Church?"

css4_f_zps5bb19b81.jpg

Interesting! I want to say that one of the EC's in my collection, might be one of the Church books? But as they were bought second hand, don't know how I'd go about establishing that -- or even if, despite being a "genuine" Church copy, they carry the same panache as earlier Edgar books. In any case, GFC are understandably the gold standard for high grade EC fan-addicts.

As a novice to collecting ECs (only a handful graded, all lower grade), and about 200 raws, I'm almost more impressed when I see a non-Gaines File Copy in the 9.0s and up. Just seems like it would be much more difficult to have someone pluck it off a newsstand back in the day, and keep it in that nice of a shape.

I definitely plan to get one from each of the major pedigrees as my collection grows, but I still am impressed by the higher grade non-Pedigree books I see...

I agree. I sometimes think it would be interesting and tough to try to put together a high-grade (say 8.0+) non-pedigree run of and EC title.

As a novice to collecting ECs (only a handful graded, all lower grade), and about 200 raws, I'm almost more impressed when I see a non-Gaines File Copy in the 9.0s and up. Just seems like it would be much more difficult to have someone pluck it off a newsstand back in the day, and keep it in that nice of a shape.

I definitely plan to get one from each of the major pedigrees as my collection grows, but I still am impressed by the higher grade non-Pedigree books I see...

I agree. I sometimes think it would be interesting and tough to try to put together a high-grade (say 8.0+) non-pedigree run of and EC title.

Well, EC's were loved, much more so than a lot of other PCH was at the time, and as such were more likely to be saved in nice shape (by some) as well as read to death (by others.) In my experience, GFC's aside, it's easier to find a very nice shape EC book vs a contemporary issue from some other '50s publisher, unless there were stockpiles saved from that publisher in question (Harvey "file" copies come to mind.)

For my part, I love all EC's -- from lower grade readers to nosebleed GFC's. :)

I think you have to distinguish between GFCs and other peds. I have a few Bethlehems, Northfords, and White Mountains for example that were purchased off the rack.

I like the idea of putting together a non-GFC collection. hm My Tales from the Crypt set (4 books short of completion) is all 8.0+ (except for COT 17, which is 7.5) and only includes 3 GFCs.

No, no...you guys just keep going after the GFCs...that's where the action is.

Leave the non-GFC pedigrees to me :shy:

lol are you ever going to put together a registry set Ed?

:grin:

As for the registry set...the reason I haven't done it is that most of my books are raw, and I want to leave them that way at this point (I also have a tendency to turn slabbed books into raw books, rather than the other way 'round).

hm I suppose I could enter my slabs in there nonetheless...I probably have enough slabs to make it a worthwhile exercise.

I think you have to distinguish between GFCs and other peds. I have a few Bethlehems, Northfords, and White Mountains for example that were purchased off the rack.

I like the idea of putting together a non-GFC collection. hm My Tales from the Crypt set (4 books short of completion) is all 8.0+ (except for COT 17, which is 7.5) and only includes 3 GFCs.

I like the idea of high grade EC's, GFC or no (I just want a GFC eventually, to say I have one! Preferably, horror or sci fi.) But I do have a nice White Mountain Vault 20, and love it -- and a Bethlehem Panic #2. I do love non-Gaines EC pedigrees, just wish I had more! :)

I like the idea of high grade EC's, GFC or no (I just want a GFC eventually, to say I have one! Preferably, horror or sci fi.) But I do have a nice White Mountain Vault 20, and love it -- and a Bethlehem Panic #2. I do love non-Gaines EC pedigrees, just wish I had more! :)

Let's see that Vault 20!

...I like books like that ...nice enough to be impressive but not SO nice that you're afraid of them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Interesting you should make that comment, and in regards to a Weird Science 14... my first Gaines File copy back in 1991 was a WS 14... (raw, obviously)... and I was a little afraid of handling it, because it's so pristine. Back then I could scarcely believe in such a high grade GA book.

I can confidently handle it now, but I still won't take the minimal risk of mailing it away to be graded and encapsulated. Just because I trust myself to handle it doesn't mean it won't get mangled the minute it walks out the door.

:fear:

Thankful to have one of those, too...

One day I'd like to have GFC's of all of Wood's EC sci-fi covers. Right now only have about 25% of them.

ws16gfc_zps7fd74eb1.jpg

You just melted what was left of my mind :insane: ....those GFC's really are "The Thing That Should Not Be....." ..... have you had that one since the early days ? That would have to be a king's ransom today. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For many years the WS 14 was my only GFC. Then about eight years ago I added the WS 16, and since then have managed to pick up a few more. Also have WS 13, a few issues of Weird Fantasy, and an Incredible Science Fiction 33.

I've said it before; it's hard to believe some of them are real comics, and not diabolically clever, contemporary reproductions.

Let's see that Vault 20!

Ill need to dig it out of storage and scan it! Had it a long time, since 1998 I think. :)