• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,301 posts in this topic

A recent pick up from Heritage. Nice copy, but unfortunately has the light tan/cream pages so common to old undergrounds. I resisted buying a copy for years due to the price, but finally succumbed. It was still cheaper than the copy that's been on ebay forever.* Interesting, as the strips are mostly two pagers that loosely (sometimes very loosely) tie in to a plug for a specific book or record promoted in the last panel. I've always wondered if this was actually distributed to any degree, it was designed as a free promotional comic for books and records distributed by record producer Alan Douglas, but seems rather scarce and the copies that do surface tend to lack the wear and tear of the average 1972 underground.

* in the comics section of ebay - though I just realized there is another copy in magazine back issues for less than I paid, in about the same condition ( if anyone is interested). Note to self: expand ebay search function to all categories when looking for esoteric publications.

douglascomix_zpsaf024e18.jpg

Edited by rjpb

A recent pick up from Heritage. Nice copy, but unfortunately has the light tan/cream pages so common to old undergrounds. I resisted buying a copy for years due to the price, but finally succumbed. It was still cheaper than the copy that's been on ebay forever.* Interesting, as the strips are mostly two pagers that loosely (sometimes very loosely) tie in to a plug for a specific book or record promoted in the last panel. I've always wondered if this was actually distributed to any degree, it was designed as a free promotional comic for books and records distributed by record producer Alan Douglas, but seems rather scarce and the copies that do surface tend to lack the wear and tear of the average 1972 underground.

* in the comics section of ebay - though I just realized there is another copy in magazine back issues for less than I paid, in about the same condition ( if anyone is interested). Note to self: expand ebay search function to all categories when looking for esoteric publications.

douglascomix_zpsaf024e18.jpg

Nice! :applause:

A recent acquisition.

April '61 issue of Texas Ranger featuring a Shelton cover and plenty of interior illos including a couple two page Mad magazine style spreads. I suppose if you haunt junk and used books stores around Austin these aren't too hard to find, but Gilbert Shelton era issues seem to rarely show up on ebay.

20140927_081144_zps4047b73c.jpg

20140927_083521_zps5bd8f9f8.jpg

20140927_081224_zps1261f1e6.jpg

That's great, amazing what a little research can result in. Guess my copy just went up in value.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Here's something you don't see every day. "The Man" by Vaughn Bode. Apparently this is very rare and CGC has only slabbed 1 (7.0). After doing some research, this is what I found.

Bodé drew 17 pages of comics featuring Man, but figured nobody would really like it, so he shelved the project. Two years later, Bodé enrolled in Syracuse University and become their resident superstar cartoonist. His "Man" first appeared in the Sword of Damocles as a single page of vignettes featuring the title character. The Man then ran as a weekly comic strip in the campus newspaper, The Daily Orange, from October 1, 1965 to February 18, 1966. In May, the university's Office of Student Publications compiled The Man into a book (with a print-run of close to 2,000 copies) which was sold on and off campus. It was one of the first commercially produced underground comics.

TheMan.jpg

TheMan_p1.jpg