• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pacific Rim - where 250 foot robots become reality

101 posts in this topic

When I heard that they green lit Pacific Rim 2,I was like :whee:

It was an awesome popcorn flick.

We should thank China for this since they liked it better than America (damn you stupid Americans :facepalm: )

and Godzilla since it has made some serious money.

Need to figure out how to track those box office results without distracting from the DC and Marvel thread.

When I heard that they green lit Pacific Rim 2,I was like :whee:

It was an awesome popcorn flick.

We should thank China for this since they liked it better than America (damn you stupid Americans :facepalm: )

and Godzilla since it has made some serious money.

Need to figure out how to track those box office results without distracting from the DC and Marvel thread.

I would be interested to see how the Marvel and DC movies do against a Del Toro film in general. I mean take a look at his films and he is a comic powerhouse all on his own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_del_Toro#Film

Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM Sequel & Animated Series

A week ago, Legendary Pictures and Guillermo del Toro officially announced that Pacific Rim 2 was in the works and an animated series based on the franchise was on the way as well. While out promoting his new FX series The Strain spoke with the Wall Street Journal about both of the newly announced Pacific Rim ventures. If you want the basic gist, del Toro says the second film will have a "twist" ending and have a "different tenor" from the first. As for the animated series, he says much of it will tell the story of people working at the Shatterdomes. Those are primary headquarters of the Pan Pacific Defense Corps. That is also where the Jaegers are constructed, housed and repared.

Guillermo del Toro Talks Pacific Rim Animated Series

“We’re going for a long arc, so the idea is to show a group of characters—we have pilots, functional jaegers, but we have all these younger characters. I really want to explore things that are complimentary to the things that I want to explore in the second movie: drift, what drifting does to you, what is needed to drift, a lot of stuff that I think is important, but also the jaeger technology, the kaijus being evolved, ideas about the precursors—the guys that control the kaijus. We have a lot of leeway in 13 episodes and I wanna make it sort of in the same spirit of Pacific Rim, which is the ideal audience for Pacific Rim was young—very young, 11-year-olds and so forth—but with really beautiful design and stories that make these characters interesting in a way that I found them interesting in, for example, Year Zero, the graphic novel that we did. And I think that’s the basic thrust of the thing.”

Charlie Day & Burn Gorman Will Return For PACIFIC RIM 2

---------------

“Yes. It’s quite a different movie from the first one in that, but I think that two of our main characters like in the first one are Burn and Charlie. They are really, really – I mean, honestly, they are probably the guys I have the most fun writing along with Hannibal Chau (Ron Perlman) so just from a purely selfish drive, I like writing them. I love writing for Charlie and Burn. I mean, [burn's] in Crimson Peak for that reason, because I love working with him."

---------------

Legendary Comics Announces ‘Pacific Rim: Tales From the Drift’ Comic Book Series Plus Artwork

“Pacific Rim: Tales From the Drift” will be a four-issue monthly series with a $3.99 single-issue cover price. Its release date will be November 2015.

The new comic series is presented by del Toro and “Pacific Rim” film screenwriter Travis Beacham. The story is by Beacham.

The comic series is written by Joshua Flalkov and the artist is Marcos Marz.

In addition, Legendary Comics also announced a 6-issue espionage thriller “Black Bay” by Chris Roberson (“Superman Grounded”) starting this fall. A five-issue crime-thriller series “Cops for Criminals from Steven Grant (“Punisher War Journal”) will also come out this fall.

pr_issue_01_pg_01_Preview.jpg

I found it corny in a 'Top Gun' way.

Cocky pilot losing his edge and has to overcome massive obstacles to succeed.

The effects and sound were great and Ron Perlman ate enough scenery for some entertainment, but it just felt like a "seen that before too many times" movie with an enormous price-tag.

Two stars.

The effects and sound were great and Ron Perlman ate enough scenery for some entertainment, but it just felt like a "seen that before too many times" movie with an enormous price-tag.

Two stars.

:o

Turn over your DVD to me - right now, mister!

:sumo:

:baiting:

Two stars.

:o

Turn over your DVD to me - right now, mister!

:sumo:

:baiting:

I actually just got rid of it last week to a Godzilla fan. lol

It was the two-disc edition (Black Friday deal $4), so I don't feel so ripped off. It just wasn't me.

Try to think of somemore movies tonight. :gossip:

I never understood some the hating this movie received. It's not supposed to be high brow, intelligent story-driven material. It's freakin giant robots fighting freakin giant monsters! Take it at face value!

Two stars.

Maybe so, but I grew up on Johnny Sokko and Ultraman. Also, played a lot of Armored Core. Just like me some giant robots and monsters. (shrug)

Charlie Day & Burn Gorman Will Return For PACIFIC RIM 2

---------------

“Yes. It’s quite a different movie from the first one in that, but I think that two of our main characters like in the first one are Burn and Charlie. They are really, really – I mean, honestly, they are probably the guys I have the most fun writing along with Hannibal Chau (Ron Perlman) so just from a purely selfish drive, I like writing them. I love writing for Charlie and Burn. I mean, [burn's] in Crimson Peak for that reason, because I love working with him."

---------------

I have the most fun writing along with Hannibal Chau (Ron Perlman) so just from a purely selfish drive, I like writing them.

...Well if that's the case then what about Hellboy III 'Hellboy goes to Hell'

But I digress, count me as one that loved PacRim, just a fun ride and I'd look forward to a second.

Both of you please try to understand with the post I made above yours, ^

"It just wasn't me".

Please take no offense. I only meant when I grew up watching a lot of war movies because they were my dad's favorite and I've seen a lot of the formulas used in this for the umpteenth time. I found myself fast forwarding a lot of the "dramatic" scenes even, because they were so cliche. Even when I was 11, I was kinda bored with Top Gun.

You might ask what kind of sy-fy movie that I liked with monsters that would work with this kind of storytelling and visual effects? Well, Let's go back to 1986 again. Jim Cameron really turned war movie cliches on their ear with Aliens. But, I can't think of any giant monster movies that I could compare to Pacific Rims plot (cocky pilot trying to find his nerve again in the face of a conflict), that I could compare to.

I liked the visual effects, the sound and some of the supporting characters (Perlman and Day), but can't reccommend this movie.