• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

should just retire the book

This is my living and how I support my family. I wish it were that easy. But thanks for the advice.

I love TBP but Not the greatest advice imo. I'll be buying your book for as long as you write it. It's fun and unique and I would miss it immensely if you quit it. I'm sorry Roc is having these issues and I pray his family gets well. Your response was classy and I'm rooting for all of you. (thumbs u

should just retire the book

This is my living and how I support my family. I wish it were that easy. But thanks for the advice.

I love TBP but Not the greatest advice imo. I'll be buying your book for as long as you write it. It's fun and unique and I would miss it immensely if you quit it. I'm sorry Roc is having these issues and I pray his family gets well. Your response was classy and I'm rooting for all of you. (thumbs u

+1000000

I'm think it is a misstep taking Roc off the book.

Just curious, do you think it was too soon to do so? Or that the situation (as presented) doesn't merit his removal?

The case is still open, and Roc says she hit him first. Its a he-said she-said and by taking him off the book conclusions are being made without all the facts.

Just curious, do you think it was too soon to do so? Or that the situation (as presented) doesn't merit his removal?

The case is still open, and Roc says she hit him first. Its a he-said she-said and by taking him off the book conclusions are being made without all the facts.

I agree but that is society today takes one mention or complaint and bam you gotta suspend to kick the person away. Look at the NFL right now (shrug)

I hear you and I like Roc. He's a cool guy. But this isn't just any book. It's a book about strong, independent women, aimed directly at that demographic. Perception is reality and regardless of the situation, Roc should have thought hard about that before taking any physical action against a woman, regardless of who instigated it.

I hear you and I like Roc. He's a cool guy. But this isn't just any book. It's a book about strong, independent women, aimed directly at that demographic. Perception is reality and regardless of the situation, Roc should have thought hard about that before taking any physical action against a woman, regardless of who instigated it.

I rarely chime in on anything, but I gotta say that I was really REALLY bummed to find out that this happened. I hadnt really been into a book like Rat Queens since the first go 'round of Runaways.............yes I love it THAT much. So to hear Roc was off the book, I immediately was in the "what the hell, I mean has there been a trial, is there video, how the hell do we know he's guilty" camp. But after giving it a swirl or two in my mind I came to your exact conclusion Solar. Being what the book is I dont really think there were many (if any) options other than letting Roc go.

"It's a book about strong, independent women"

Having an alleged domestic abuser drawing it would be a bit past ironic and more towards insulting for some I would think.

Still will buy the book for as long as its on the racks. Hope nothing but the best for Wiebe, Roc and his wife.

Sorry to hear all this happened, very sad stuff. On the bright side for the book at least [if there is a bright side, not sure how else to word it] ..... this.....

"Reorders from stores for the comic book went up, not down"

"Godkiller And Rat Queens Top The Advance Reorders Chart This Week"

Whether true or not Roc has the stigma of this charge. We are a society that likes a good redemption story (look at Michael Vick and many others), so hopefully Roc can make amends and use his craft to to show the comic community he supports the strong female ideals that we all know the Rat Queens stands for.

I think if Vic had been domestic abuse it wouldn't have been as quickly forgiven....look at Peterson & Rice....drug abuse is easily forgiven, dog fighting no biggie, even murder is sometimes shrugged off depending on the circumstances......theft & domestic abuse seem to be the taboos where you're rarely ever forgiven.

Vick was demonized for dog fighting. I used him as an example because he not only served his time and community service, but kept donating his time and money to animal rights causes after his requirement was fulfilled (and still does to my knowledge).... His redemption did not happen overnight. But perhaps you're right; this is a whole other ball of wax.

I also thought the New york City subway eight ball jacket video was blown out of proportion.

I'm a big believer in equality. Religious equality, political equality, gender equality. so thats why I don't understand how someone can seriously say something like

"Even if his wife hit first, it DOES NOT justify the fact that he hit back unless his life was in literal danger. I did read her account of the situation and she openly states that she has, in the past, been the aggressor in their relationship and has hit him on, it seems to imply, more than one occasion. THAT IS ALSO WRONG. But Roc still hit her and that is NOT OKAY, it is NEVER OKAY, and all of this is by his own admission."

These arn't black and white situations. Someone said the above quote to me on facebook.

Above

If they hadn't fired him. Sales would have tanked. And still might regardless.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I also thought the New york City subway eight ball jacket video was blown out of proportion.

I'm a big believer in equality. Religious equality, political equality, gender equality. so thats why I don't understand how someone can seriously say something like

"Even if his wife hit first, it DOES NOT justify the fact that he hit back unless his life was in literal danger. I did read her account of the situation and she openly states that she has, in the past, been the aggressor in their relationship and has hit him on, it seems to imply, more than one occasion. THAT IS ALSO WRONG. But Roc still hit her and that is NOT OKAY, it is NEVER OKAY, and all of this is by his own admission."

These arn't black and white situations. Someone said the above quote to me on facebook.

And they're right.

it was the only out come for the book if he had stayed it could have hurt the book in the long run. Kurtis made a smart move by removing Roc of the book so he & his family can get help for the better before it becomes something worse. i do wonder if the Kurtis is gong to have the book take a month off onces he finds his new artist and have a nice break in between issue.

These things are never black and white. Sometimes the woman is the victim, sometimes the man is and sometimes both are. No one should be hitting anybody, regardless if the aggressor has a or *spoon*. I believe women are our equals despite what others in this world believe.

We live in a society where we automatically believe the woman is the victim in an abusive relationship without getting all the evidence. I don't have studies in front of me but I imagine most abuse does stem from men victimizing a woman but there is a percentage where abuse is perpetrated by women. When the woman's the abused victim, we tend to be sympathetic. When it comes to a woman being abusive to a man, the immediate response by most is, "Grow a pair and be a man!"

If its rape, some peope are sympathetic to the woman's plight. Other times, people ask, "Well what was she wearing?" What does that have to do with anything? She was sexually assaulted and no she didin't "deserve it."

Another situation is when people find out some teenage boy was sexually assaulted by an older, female teacher even though it was concensual. They pat him on the back and think he's a lucky dog. If the roles were reversed, people would be yelling that the male teacher should be fired and arrested for sexually abused this poor girl despite the fact that it was concensual.

We, as a society, have a skewed view of right and wrong when it comes to the sexes. We let what's between peoples' leg dictate our emotional response to situations and that's wrong. There's a reason justice needs to be blind and weight the evidence between two parties before a decision is made.

I was reading Heidi MacDonald's article and posted a response. She then jumped on me for my response and after a few similar responses from other people, she closed the comments section. You can read it all here:

http://comicsbeat.com/upchurch-removed-as-rat-queens-artist-following-arrest/

IMO, they're both at fault as the abuse was mutual. It's a bad situation all around. He & his ex-wife are bruised physically & emotionally, he now has a criminal record, he doesn't have work so he can't properly provide for himself & his family and gets judged by an arrest rather than the history of abuse the two have perpetrated. You get a half the story thinking it's the full story. It's just sad all around.