• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
14 14

3,111 posts in this topic

Hey Rob,

I like your collecting style of only buying nicely presenting 9.4's and OW/W or better PQ and not settling for just any 9.4's.

At a certain issue number, do you start looking for 9.6 or 9.8 or are you happy with 9.4? hm Just curious because I'd like to start working on lower numbers and right now I have pretty much solely focused on the Miller run.

I have 9.6s starting at #19. From there until the 80s it's mostly 9.4s with some 9.6s every so often. From the 80s up until the 130s there are a lot of 9.6s and some 9.8s. After 120, it's mostly 9.8s.

Rob (worship)

I'm continually impressed with your books! DD#3 has been on my want list for a while now. Your copy is awesome :applause:

Thanks! Whoever owned these before me had a great eye. The #2 and the #3 are awesome and the #1 9.4 White pages that also sold in this auction is maybe the best 9.4 I've ever seen.

Hey Rob,

I like your collecting style of only buying nicely presenting 9.4's and OW/W or better PQ and not settling for just any 9.4's.

At a certain issue number, do you start looking for 9.6 or 9.8 or are you happy with 9.4? hm Just curious because I'd like to start working on lower numbers and right now I have pretty much solely focused on the Miller run.

I have 9.6s starting at #19. From there until the 80s it's mostly 9.4s with some 9.6s every so often. From the 80s up until the 130s there are a lot of 9.6s and some 9.8s. After 120, it's mostly 9.8s.

But do you look for 9.6's from 80 on up or if a nice 9.4 popped up, would you take it and be happy? I'm just trying to adjust my expectations of 9.8 or bust from my experience with the Miller run and Modern collecting. Obviously the lower issues will probably be 9.2 or 9.4 for me and after the first 20 or so issues, 9.4 or 9.6. But what happens when you get up to the 100's - 9.4? 9.6? 9.8? hm

Hey Rob,

But do you look for 9.6's from 80 on up or if a nice 9.4 popped up, would you take it and be happy? I'm just trying to adjust my expectations of 9.8 or bust from my experience with the Miller run and Modern collecting. Obviously the lower issues will probably be 9.2 or 9.4 for me and after the first 20 or so issues, 9.4 or 9.6. But what happens when you get up to the 100's - 9.4? 9.6? 9.8? hm

My minimum is 9.4, so I don't necessarily hold out for a higher grade even for the later books. Setting a hard limit would be really hard as some of the books from the 1970s are tough to find in even 9.4.

So with issues above 100, you'd be satisfied taking a 9.4 and wouldn't care to upgrade to a 9.6 or higher if it presents well?

For the most part, yes. That said, you're mostly going to see graded 9.6s and 9.8s above 100 just because of the economics of getting those books graded. I have 17 9.4s from 100 to 157, alongside 16 9,6s. and 18 9.8s.

Rob, I envy your collection. Seriously, you own my dream collection haha

Awesome stuff.

Thanks! This has been a fun run to put together so far.

Seriously, I'd pay an admission fee to see your collection when it's complete. lol

This is the worst book (structurally) in my Daredevil run. But I've lost on this book a billion times and wasn't interested in having this hole in my run forever. I'm now just 122 and 144 short of getting straight from 100-157.

A nicer one will probably come up next week.

a nicer one did come up! Metro has a slightly better wrapped copy just listed this week :cry:

This is the worst book (structurally) in my Daredevil run. But I've lost on this book a billion times and wasn't interested in having this hole in my run forever. I'm now just 122 and 144 short of getting straight from 100-157.

a nicer one did come up! Metro has a slightly better wrapped copy just listed this week :cry:

I don't see it. Sales are starting to come up for Black Friday/Christmas.

I don't see it. Sales are starting to come up for Black Friday/Christmas.

I just saw it this morning through a want-list match. Maybe it sold?

I looked at it and was interested by saw the latest bid today and just couldn't make myself bid any higher. It looked more like a 9.6 but I suppose it went for close to 9.6 price as well.

BTW I'm Tripp, fairly new to the boards. I'm currently trying to fill (or refill) my early run DD collection. Recently discovered a box of CGC was stolen and DD was one of the victims. Trying to get 3,7, and 8. Afraid the new show is not going to do me any favors in that department. Though I can't wait to see it and have very high expectations!!

Having books stolen is awful. And it containing low number Daredevils is a real pain. I just bought a #3, but I'm still looking for a #7 myself. This year I hope.

That #8 was killer last night. If I was in the market I would have been all over it. It's got to be the best possible 9.4 out there (minus the date stamp if you're a stickler for that sort of thing- I'm not.)