• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,712 posts in this topic

Micronauts #8 continues to roll. ;)

Why are you sorting by highest listed? Very misleading, like someone pulling up a chart of NFLX stock 6 months ago.

Not highest listed, highest sold, and not 6 months, 90 days. :makepoint:

The most important sales are the highest ones, not the ones that fall through the cracks or poor listings.

I'd say the most important sales are the mode, or what passes for it, as anyone can get a deal or made a poor purchasing decision. If you really think the high results are what's important, then the recent sales of Turok #1 at $6 and $4.50 means that the speculators from the '90s are actually going to make money on that, and we know that that isn't going to happen.

What's a "mode"? hm And have you ever sold books? lol

It's a pretty common mathematical term.

Thanks! (Although not at all applicable here.)

Depending on what you're trying to figure, I would say it is. The most common value that a book has sold for is going to provide a good guide as to what you should expect to get for it, or pay for it. Now, if you're very patient and don't particularly care whether a book actually sells, then maybe the highest price point matters in that it provides a guide as to what someone who is not paying attention to average prices might overpay for a copy. But I imagine one would make more money (from selling more books), by referencing not only the highest price (paid by one person who now has his book), but rather the prices that people are commonly willing to pay.

I'm sorry, but this is driving me crazy, :pullhair:

divad is right

The mode is not at all applicable here.

If 2 books sold for 12 shekels and the other sales were 6, 16, 17, 19, 20 ,21, 22, 24, 28, 37, and 49 shekels. The most common value of 12 shekels, ie:, the mode, does not really represent what you would expect to sell at.

What you are interested in is the median sale. The one that falls squarely in the middle of all other sales. In the example: 20 shekels. This reduces the effect of outliers on both the high and low sides and is a good predictor for additional sales.

Micronauts #8 continues to roll. ;)

Why are you sorting by highest listed? Very misleading, like someone pulling up a chart of NFLX stock 6 months ago.

Not highest listed, highest sold, and not 6 months, 90 days. :makepoint:

The most important sales are the highest ones, not the ones that fall through the cracks or poor listings.

I'd say the most important sales are the mode, or what passes for it, as anyone can get a deal or made a poor purchasing decision. If you really think the high results are what's important, then the recent sales of Turok #1 at $6 and $4.50 means that the speculators from the '90s are actually going to make money on that, and we know that that isn't going to happen.

What's a "mode"? hm And have you ever sold books? lol

It's a pretty common mathematical term.

Thanks! (Although not at all applicable here.)

Depending on what you're trying to figure, I would say it is. The most common value that a book has sold for is going to provide a good guide as to what you should expect to get for it, or pay for it. Now, if you're very patient and don't particularly care whether a book actually sells, then maybe the highest price point matters in that it provides a guide as to what someone who is not paying attention to average prices might overpay for a copy. But I imagine one would make more money (from selling more books), by referencing not only the highest price (paid by one person who now has his book), but rather the prices that people are commonly willing to pay.

divad is right

If 2 books sold for 12 shekels and the other sales were 6, 16, 17, 19, 20 ,21, 22, 24, 28, 37, and 49 shekels. The most common value of 12 shekels, ie:, the mode, does not really represent what you would expect to sell at.

What you are interested in is the median sale. The one that falls squarely in the middle of all other sales. In the example: 20 shekels. This reduces the effect of outliers on both the high and low sides and is a good predictor for additional sales.

The reason I said "…the mode, or what passes for it…" was because I realize that exact prices are not going to be duplicated very often, so considering close prices to be the same would probably suffice. But your suggestion of the median works as well. It's certainly better than weighing the highest price more heavily than other prices paid, unless you're going to be adamant that you're not going to sell the book unless you make more than anyone else has.

divad is right

The reason I said "…the mode, or what passes for it…" was because I realize that exact prices are not going to be duplicated very often, so considering close prices to be the same would probably suffice.

It still does not make it any more relevant, since it can still be an outlier.

The only reason I used median, was because it seemed to be the term you meant.

So why did Action Comics #521 flare up around a week ago with some $40-60 sales, but now the book is trending around $15-25?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_ipg=200&_sadis=15&_samihi=&_samilow=&_udhi=&_udlo=&_stpos=&_sop=10&LH_Sold=1&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=action+comics+521

Edited by white_rushin

So why did Action Comics #521 flare up around a week ago with some $40-60 sales, but now the book is trending around $15-25?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_ipg=200&_sadis=15&_samihi=&_samilow=&_udhi=&_udlo=&_stpos=&_sop=10&LH_Sold=1&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=action+comics+521

Was it on Comic Book Men?

Was it on Comic Book Men?

It was on CGC chat board. :grin: