• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,445 posts in this topic

Not in hand yet but I won this on Clink. Don't see this book too often.

RADE96BB2014116_1056471.jpg

.... I always thought this was a Moreira cover..... it's still a great one, nonetheless ....... to me this is where the SA really begins. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I always thought this was a Moreira cover..... it's still a great one, nonetheless ....... to me this is where the SA really begins. GOD BLESS...

I never paid much attention to the dialogue on the cover to MGA #1, but upon closer inspection, it's a definite tip-of-the-hat to one of the greatest movies EVER made:

The Wages of Fear (1953). If you haven't seen it, I won't ruin it. I caught it once by chance on late-night TV about 25 years ago and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Subsequently, it was screened a few times in my local art-house cinema. Truly timeless, beautiful cinematography, brilliant, and category-defying every step of the way. Just see it.

I never paid much attention to the dialogue on the cover to MGA #1, but upon closer inspection, it's a definite tip-of-the-hat to one of the greatest movies EVER made:

The Wages of Fear (1953). If you haven't seen it, I won't ruin it. I caught it once by chance on late-night TV about 25 years ago and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Subsequently, it was screened a few times in my local art-house cinema. Truly timeless, beautiful cinematography, brilliant, and category-defying every step of the way. Just see it.

Great book ! It's the first time I see MGA #1, thanks for sharing !

The reference to the Clouzot movie seems obvious, a wonderful movie.

The movie occasionally screens on TCM. Yves Montand was never better in the role of a lifetime. It's a riveting movie an edge-of your-seat thriller. I first saw the movie in Israrel back in the early 1970s.

The movie occasionally screens on TCM. Yves Montand was never better in the role of a lifetime. It's a riveting movie an edge-of your-seat thriller. I first saw the movie in Israrel back in the early 1970s.

If you've not seen the movie, and are used to the modern method of storytelling, be aware that the first hour or so is all exposition and character development. The meat of the story happens in the latter half of Act 2 and all of Act 3.

A definite must for cinephiles, though. Yes, that's a real pool of oil he's swimming in, no special effects. You'll see what I mean when you watch it

I second the motion that you have to stay with it-- it starts slow (by today's standards) but soon enough you won't be able to STOP watching. I caught it on TCM one night starting at about 2am and kept with it until the end, intending to turn it off in another minute but never able to.

If you've not seen the movie, and are used to the modern method of storytelling, be aware that the first hour or so is all exposition and character development. The meat of the story happens in the latter half of Act 2 and all of Act 3.

A definite must for cinephiles, though. Yes, that's a real pool of oil he's swimming in, no special effects. You'll see what I mean when you watch it

I have to agree That the Wages of Fear is an amazing movie. For those of you who haven't seen it there's a blu-ray from Criterion available, the restoration isn't the greatest but it's the only one that is

out there. I hope that Masters of Cinema from the UK will one day release the film in a better version.

If you liked it and want to discover more films directed by Henri-George Clouzot I would stronly suggest Les Diaboliques which is available from Criterion in the US and from Arrow in the UK. Also of note is The Murderer Lives at 21 available in the UK from Masters of Cinema.

Sorcerer which is the remake of The Wages of Fear by William Friedkin is also an amazing film. Warner recently edited a beautiful blu-ray which presents the film in it's original format for the first time. Friedkin's version is a little different from the original, but it will leave you at the edge of your seat the whole time.

I have to agree That the Wages of Fear is an amazing movie. For those of you who haven't seen it there's a blu-ray from Criterion available, the restoration isn't the greatest but it's the only one that is

out there. I hope that Masters of Cinema from the UK will one day release the film in a better version.

If you liked it and want to discover more films directed by Henri-George Clouzot I would stronly suggest Les Diaboliques which is available from Criterion in the US and from Arrow in the UK. Also of note is The Murderer Lives at 21 available in the UK from Masters of Cinema.

Sorcerer which is the remake of The Wages of Fear by William Friedkin is also an amazing film. Warner recently edited a beautiful blu-ray which presents the film in it's original format for the first time. Friedkin's version is a little different from the original, but it will leave you at the edge of your seat the whole time.

I saw Sorcerer in the theater about 20 years ago when it was rereleased. It's not quite as good as the original, but definitely has merits of its own. I'd probably have liked it better if it wasn't that I'd seen Wages of Fear first.

Diabolique ROCKS. Love that flick, too. I've never seen The Murderer Lives at 21, so I'll have to look it up.

Wages of Fear IS a bit slow for the first hour, but viewers are rewarded in spades. There are so many things right about that film, it boggles the mind. It always is in my top-5. Glad to see you guys enjoy it as much as you do, too!

I saw Sorcerer in the theater about 20 years ago when it was rereleased. It's not quite as good as the original, but definitely has merits of its own. I'd probably have liked it better if it wasn't that I'd seen Wages of Fear first.

Diabolique ROCKS. Love that flick, too. I've never seen The Murderer Lives at 21, so I'll have to look it up.

Wages of Fear IS a bit slow for the first hour, but viewers are rewarded in spades. There are so many things right about that film, it boggles the mind. It always is in my top-5. Glad to see you guys enjoy it as much as you do, too!

I just finished watching it again. :cloud9: