• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I've been playing with the scanner for the last hour balancing resolution of the scan vs how quick the device actually scans. As was suggested, silver and modern age books scan better than Golden Age books due to the depth of the Golden Age slab.

I am still considering purchasing vuescan or the program in the app store as the HP software continues to experience some problems. The HP software will sometimes suggest for me to close down the program and restart and other times for me to restart everything after timing out.

Here are scans of X-Men 266 at 150 pixels per inch.

XMen266a.jpg

XMen266b.jpg

The driver is definitely newer than when I was looking. I just bit the bullet and got vuescan (the lifetime one). As to the glare effects I very rarely seem to have that problem, and I'm not sure why. I just use it without pressure or anything other than the cover on it and looking through my slabs on myslabbedcomics.com I don't see too many with the glare.

It happens more with the Golden Age books since they are thicker and seem to flex more

Good call. Checking my scans again I do have some glare on about half my Schomburgs.

I've been playing with the scanner for the last hour balancing resolution of the scan vs how quick the device actually scans. As was suggested, silver and modern age books scan better than Golden Age books due to the depth of the Golden Age slab.

I am still considering purchasing vuescan or the program in the app store as the HP software continues to experience some problems. The HP software will sometimes suggest for me to close down the program and restart and other times for me to restart everything after timing out.

XMen266a.jpg

XMen266b.jpg

VueScan works like a charm and I think is probably worth purchasing. They seem to update it regularly and I haven't had a problem in the several months I've used it.

My two cents on that X-Men scan is that the resolution is too low. I think it should be high enough so you can easily read the text on the label.

XMen266a.jpg

XMen266b.jpg

VueScan works like a charm and I think is probably worth purchasing. They seem to update it regularly and I haven't had a problem in the several months I've used it.

My two cents on that X-Men scan is that the resolution is too low. I think it should be high enough so you can easily read the text on the label.

Good point and I agree...

300 p/i However... I am going to keep playing with the scanner though.

xmen266a300.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

I was looking at All-In-Ones last night and was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on:

Epson WF 7510

or

HP 7500a

I just bought this on clearance at Office Max for $100 and for slabs it takes forever to scan and send via wireless. Also the slabs come back blurry. Played with the settings and still having issues. Going to return it tomorrow. I knew I would run into this issue.

Going to purchase a HP Scanjet 8300 on ebay. There is a seller that has 10 of these new in the box for $250.

I was looking at All-In-Ones last night and was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on:

Epson WF 7510

or

HP 7500a

I just bought this on clearance at Office Max for $100 and for slabs it takes forever to scan and send via wireless. Also the slabs come back blurry. Played with the settings and still having issues. Going to return it tomorrow. I knew I would run into this issue.

Going to purchase a HP Scanjet 8300 on ebay. There is a seller that has 10 of these new in the box for $250.

If you want to go with a scanner for your slabs - in my experience, you will never find anything at a store that works well.

Your best bet is always buying used or going online buying over-stock.

I have been using the ScanMaker i800Plus by Microtek on my PC and have always gotten nice scans. Recently I switched over to a iMac which runs 10.10 Yosemite and it is not reading my scanner even though I have to updated driver from MicroTek, (ScanPotter v1.12). I even tried VueScan and still nothing. MicroTek support and Apple haven't helped. Has anyone else here had similar problems? Can anyone recommend a scanner that works with a Mac running Yosemite? I have to hold onto my old PC just to scan my books! Thanks - Dan

I have been using the ScanMaker i800Plus by Microtek on my PC and have always gotten nice scans. Recently I switched over to a iMac which runs 10.10 Yosemite and it is not reading my scanner even though I have to updated driver from MicroTek, (ScanPotter v1.12). I even tried VueScan and still nothing. MicroTek support and Apple haven't helped. Has anyone else here had similar problems? Can anyone recommend a scanner that works with a Mac running Yosemite? I have to hold onto my old PC just to scan my books! Thanks - Dan

For what it is worth, I read of others having similar issues in regards to many devices and not just scanners. In one case, the computer that was upgraded could not handle Yosemite. You are on the wrong forum for this though.

Go here:

Apple Discussion Communities

Just be sure to state the make and model of your computer as well as the exact version of all software that you are using pertaining to your issue. Someone will definitely be able to help you there.

Thank you. I have already been there and although I found people with similar problems there were never any answers to them! I was hoping that I wasn't the only one here who was having this sort of problem and perhaps get a recommendation for a scanner that scans books well and works with Yosemite.

Epson WF 7510

or

HP 7500a

If you want to go with a scanner for your slabs - in my experience, you will never find anything at a store that works well.

Yeah, I realized that now lol

I thought $100 for a wide format all in one is a good deal figuring it's some what the new model plus build in wifi but now I am swaying at a hp 8300 over stock.

Epson WF 7510

or

HP 7500a

I thought $100 for a wide format all in one is a good deal figuring it's some what the new model plus build in wifi but now I am swaying at a hp 8300 over stock.

I bought mine new at a store and it gives me nice results.

ASM43CGC.jpg

AA06CGC75.jpg

ASM438CGCss.jpg

It is a Brother all-in-one laser, and I can post the model number when I get home.

Epson GT-20000 is what I use. I was in Staples and had seen those legal scanners. This saved me a trip and the aggravation of bringing it back.

Photo removed because photobucket made it look like I was running with the camera when I took the photo. It's actually sharp and crisp raw off the scanner.

Edited by passion4comics

Mine is a Brother MFC-8480DN all-in-one laser printer with a legal scanner. I've been very pleased and haven't had any real software issues. The scans below are with the out of the box software and Windows 7.

Epson WF 7510

or

HP 7500a

I bought mine new at a store and it gives me nice results.

ASM43CGC.jpg

AA06CGC75.jpg

ASM438CGCss.jpg

It is a Brother all-in-one laser, and I can post the model number when I get home.

Hi all,

I have an HP 8250 and like it.

QUESTION: What do you guys use to clean the glass surface of the scanner??

It gets smudged easily.

I guess the good criteria for whatever you use as a cleaner should be that:

1. It cleans well and dries quickly

2. It doesn't leave any residue or film or something that could get on the cover of a raw comic when the comic is placed on top of the glass surface

3. It doesn't cause any damage to the scanner

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

Hi all,

I want to get a scanner for the IMAC as that is my platform, that has legal size bed, what do you suggest for the MAC?

Brother MFC-8480DN all-in-one laser printer with a legal scanner, was just suggested, will that work for a mac, and is that the best legal size scanner for a mac?

LMK as it time to purchase one!!!!

Thanks and happy holidays all!!!!

(thumbs u :hi:

Hi all,

It gets smudged easily.

2. It doesn't leave any residue or film or something that could get on the cover of a raw comic when the comic is placed on top of the glass surface

Regular ol Windex is what I use. Just use a soft, lint-free cloth and spray onto the cloth (rather than onto the glass)

Hi all,

It gets smudged easily.

Regular ol Windex is what I use. Just use a soft, lint-free cloth and spray onto the cloth (rather than onto the glass)

Unless you have grease problems, I find rubbing alcohol is better than any of the glass cleaners for scanner beds (and monitor glass).